Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Thanks a lot, much simpler explanation for someone ignorant like me . Is there a reason why they're so highly paid?
    Same as any job. Supply/demand of candidates bright enough to do the job.

(Original post by n1r4v)
    Also is there a reason why their job causes so much stress / why it's so fickle?
    Lots of accountability, if you suck you're fired. Lots of money involved. Lots of responsibility placed on employees. What do you mean by fickle?

ReputationRep:
    Money can bring happiness, if it doesn't bring you happiness then you can bring happiness to other people who dont have as much as you by giving it away.

Making you have a job that helps people?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I am a new entrant into this forum. Posting here inorder to get some views on my ultimate predicament of sorts.

I am a Banker with 7 years' experience in areas like Strategy, Retail Banking, Corporate Banking and Risk Management. My experience has been at middle management level all through and spread across India and the Middle East.

Also managed a large Finance Transformation programme for a bulge bracket across London, New York and Singapore offices.

I also hold an MBA in Information Systems from a top Indian B school.

At this juncture desparately need a finance post grad because my qualification is fully into Information Systems and I have fully worked in Banking and Finance functions.

Have good recos and personal statement but my GMAT is on the lower side (620), and being from a top bschool in India my GPA is a 2.5/4 (being a freshman in a class full of experienced professionals).

Please let me know, if I stand a chance to survive the LSE Litmus test.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korchonoi)
    Hi Guys,

I am a new entrant into this forum. Posting here inorder to get some views on my ultimate predicament of sorts.

I am a Banker with 7 years' experience in areas like Strategy, Retail Banking, Corporate Banking and Risk Management. My experience has been at middle management level all through and spread across India and the Middle East.

Also managed a large Finance Transformation programme for a bulge bracket across London, New York and Singapore offices.

I also hold an MBA in Information Systems from a top Indian B school.

At this juncture desparately need a finance post grad because my qualification is fully into Information Systems and I have fully worked in Banking and Finance functions.

Have good recos and personal statement but my GMAT is on the lower side (620), and being from a top bschool in India my GPA is a 2.5/4 (being a freshman in a class full of experienced professionals).

Please let me know, if I stand a chance to survive the LSE Litmus test.

Thanks!
    Might be worth making a new thread for this dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montyr)
    That's bull**** imo.

I've applied for IB but I completely disagree that only a small minority of people would turn it down. There are plenty of people with the grades etc. that choose to go into different careers and there is a reason why...

There is much more to life than money, a lot of people live very comfortable lives, have nice houses, nice cars, a family, and haven't had to work 100+ hours a week to get there.

The work may be interesting but the hours are tough,it is unpredictable, you could find yourself redundant as another recession hits and then who's happier? A lot of people would hate the job and no ammount of money would change that for them.

But this is why it interests me, because it is a challenging environment.
    You gay? Who wants a comfortable life when you could be shooting smack of a hookers ass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I'm one of those who would certainly turn down a job in IB in the unlikely event that I was offered one. I don't see the appeal. I want a job that helps people. IB is just about money - there may be more to it than that, but I can't see any value in the job and as money doesn't motivate me I'd far rather have a lower paid job where I'm actually making a difference than being in IB or something similar where I'm selling my soul and working long hours.

Perhaps I'm just overly idealistic. As I say, there may be more to IB than my perception of it, and I'd be interested to see if anyone is in for reasons other than the perceived prestige or the money (although nowadays I wouldn't say there's as much prestige in banking type careers after the global financial crisis).
    naw babe, you are so good, lady with da lamp luff ya so much.

mug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Raise money for clients, usually by issuing debt or equity (this is what you referred to as 'issue securities'). A lot of the time the capital is raised to fund a merger/acquisition; investment banks also aid this process (I guess this is what you mean by 'analyse risk', they may assess the risk of a corporate transaction). They also trade, but this isn't what makes an investment bank an investment bank, lots of people trade.

Disagree with bold part. Believe it or not companies often issue securities to fund themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    No. First you get the money, then you get the bottles, then you get the models.

Thats pretty pathetic if you think women are just going to flock to you for your money and if they did, would you want that sort of women who just wants to use you for your money? Just a thought.

(Original post by newts2k)
      Thats pretty pathetic if you think women are just going to flock to you for your money and if they did, would you want that sort of women who just wants to use you for your money? Just a thought.
      It's a serious hazard.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by newts2k)
      It is not like he is going to marry the models (plural) is it?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.