Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The man who conned his way into Harvard - Inspiration or Cautionary Tale? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen)
    There is a guy I know who bought a certificate to say he gained 4 grade A A Levels when he actually got ABCC.

He bought them off the internet and got into UCL to study Politics.

He is in 3rd year now and is yet to get caught. I doubt he will.

Thousands of people, particularly independent UCAS applicants and Internation students do this a year without getting caught.

The key is for them to use realistic grades that most people in the institution would have gotten saying you got 10 A Levels is over stepping the mark BIG TIME.

When he told me I asked him how he got away with it. He bought the degree and made sure he enrolled at the busiest time of the day when people aren't really particular. The lady asked him to photocopy his ID, student loan letter and qualifications which he did.

In the photocopies all the documents look the same they never check as most of the students attained the same grades.

Don't know about the US but this is very easy in the UK.
    Would this be UCL which doesn't actually teach Politics?

ReputationRep:
    I can see this man working for MI5.

To hell with qualifications, this man is cunning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Would this be UCL which doesn't actually teach Politics?
    Yes they DO.
    Whoever told you that.
    The course is Politics and Eastern European Studies BA.

I know 3 people who have done this course.

ReputationRep:
    Clever guy.. but I wouldn't like to be the genuine applicant who missed out on a place because someone had lied their way in.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.