Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Gays issue. Are we in the West just another Iran? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatest I am)
    Are Gays somehow not natural?
    Are their parents somehow un-natural?

If God is real then this shows why he allows Gays.
    Suck it up fool. God is said to create all things for his pleasure including Gays.
    learn your Bible.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...24&version=KJV

Regards
    DL
    wrong, there are countless passages in the bible that discount that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    Agreed completely, I was disappointed to see this headline today - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...7k-police.html

Anti-gay discrimination is a crime here in the UK, and yet this guy gets compensation for doing it? Him saying homosexuality is a sin on the streets is as good as him inciting hatred by saying 'Homosexuals are all going to hell' on the streets.

It is evident that being a Christian state and having equal rights amongst all is conflicting and sitting on the bench for both is making it hard to identify what is right and what is wrong in this country. You have either got to commit to all equal rights completely or don't bother at all, otherwise there is no point in doing so.
    Yes, all Western governments are going to have to decide where they want to be. A bit of an aside but what comes to mind is that I understand that in England, one of your universities is heavily funded by your government and they are teaching creationism. How backwards is that eh!
    Richard Dawkins speak to this in his book.

I think that his quote should be played over and over for your parliament till they change that universities curriculum or drop their funding. In this, at least, the U S is ahead of Britain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxZ6...eature=related

Regards
    DL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transubstantiation)
    wrong, there are countless passages in the bible that discount that.
    Hogwash. You obviously do not know how to read your own Bible. Pathetic.
    We both know that we can make the Bible say damn near anything.
    You just happen to like to hate too much to give precedence to the scriptures that show the love.

You sure do not follow your loving Jesus but prefer the genocidal fooll of the O T.
    Closer to your hate filled heart.

As to you imaginary Jesus scapegoat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5YrB...layer_embedded

Regards
    DL

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Greatest I am
    Sure we let them live as long as they stay in there inferior place and do not ask for equality and marriage or respect.

Regards
    DL

I don't buy that...... think about what homosexuals in places like iran go through!

-----------------------------------------------------

I combined for brevity.

Gays do not go through anything in Iran. there are no gays there. LOL.
    I really do not care too much about what happens there. it is our hypocrisy that I take issue with.

As to what Churches promote in sexuality,. It is my view that they should have as much say as the government. None, unless there is a victim to consider.

For them to teach from 3000 year old ideas from a time when people had little idea of sexuality and thought that the whole world was corrupt and cursed by an imaginary God is ludicrous.

Regards
    DL
    ahamd'jad meant that they don't actively promote homosexuality in iran like we do in the west. He's an educated man and knows there are homosexuals in iran....
    The church doesn't have any say in the gov decision with regards to homosexuals, unless perhaps if it affects their beliefs/church.

religous views of homosexuality may be crazy but something whcih will always remain as a fundamental thing in christianity/islam is the concept of hetrosexuality and all that is associated with. Various religous groups should be allowed to promote their religous views on homosexuality (unless it doesn't break laws). Western civilisation was built on christian foundations and don't believe these foundations will change with regards to their views on sodomy.

ReputationRep:
    Why are sex changes allowed in Iran then? Do people really get them to get around the gay issue?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the UK has greater protections and rights for gay people and attitudes are accepting in most areas. So I do think we are doing better than Iran in the sense of rights and attitudes.

However, I think any country where the rights of minorities are subject to a vote by the majority is obscene. Either by putting it to a public vote, as in California, or by putting it to vote in a parliament or a senate full of conservative, white, religious straight men who would have never experienced discrimination in their lives.

I'm glad judges in America have the power to overrule such votes, since a group of white men voting to hang a black man is still called democracy.

(Original post by DJkG.1)
      x
      (Original post by Democracy)
      x
      Take it easy, guys. Debates are most beneficial to everyone when they focus on the issues, instead of being a battle of egos. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bunty64)
      ahamd'jad meant that they don't actively promote homosexuality in iran like we do in the west. He's an educated man and knows there are homosexuals in iran....
      The church doesn't have any say in the gov decision with regards to homosexuals, unless perhaps if it affects their beliefs/church.

religous views of homosexuality may be crazy but something whcih will always remain as a fundamental thing in christianity/islam is the concept of hetrosexuality and all that is associated with. Various religous groups should be allowed to promote their religous views on homosexuality (unless it doesn't break laws). Western civilisation was built on christian foundations and don't believe these foundations will change with regards to their views on sodomy.
      Yep. All religions should be left to promote all the hate they like. Crazy or not.

Not.

Regards
      DL

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by IceWater)
      Why are sex changes allowed in Iran then? Do people really get them to get around the gay issue?
      I cannot speak for Iran but I understand that they see those issues as mental disorders. Not sexual deviants. Perhaps that is why their president can say there are no Gays in Iran.

Just a bunch of sexually sick and confused people.

Regards
      DL

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kolya)
      Take it easy, guys. Debates are most beneficial to everyone when they focus on the issues, instead of being a battle of egos. Thanks.
      Agreed. Apologies for my part.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sime)
      Obviously the UK has greater protections and rights for gay people and attitudes are accepting in most areas. So I do think we are doing better than Iran in the sense of rights and attitudes.

However, I think any country where the rights of minorities are subject to a vote by the majority is obscene. Either by putting it to a public vote, as in California, or by putting it to vote in a parliament or a senate full of conservative, white, religious straight men who would have never experienced discrimination in their lives.

I'm glad judges in America have the power to overrule such votes, since a group of white men voting to hang a black man is still called democracy.
      I agree.

If the law is ever under control of government, that would be the end of our experiment with democracy.

Regards
      DL

ReputationRep:
      I think that the majority of British people would be all for full marriage rights and for gay men giving blood and that. Problem is there is so much other stuff going on that the government haven't really addressed it yet.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
      I think that the majority of British people would be all for full marriage rights and for gay men giving blood and that. Problem is there is so much other stuff going on that the government haven't really addressed it yet.
      Hard to say. I thought the same for California but they ended kicking Gays in the teeth by rejecting gay marriage.
      I hope you are right though.

It is hard to gage the level of intelligence within your government when they are funding segregated schools and even a university that teaches creationism.

Regards
      DL

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DJkG.1)
      http://www.wfafi.org/laws.pdf

Article 209 of Iran’s Constitution states that woman's life is valued only half as much as a man's life. A convicted man who has intentionally slain a woman is subject to execution only after the payment of "Deyeh" by the family of the victim. "Deyeh" is defined as a sum of money that the victim's family has to pay to the assailant's family for the physical damages, dismemberment, or death of the assailant.

I think this is what Democracy was referring to.

ReputationRep:
      Yep. All religions should be left to promote all the hate they like. Crazy or not.

Not.

Regards
      DL
      western society (however liberal it becomes) cannot ban religion from disagreeing with sodomy or promoting their beliefs..... They are not promoting hate by doing so.... being opposed to sodomy is not a hateful act. There are homosexuals who are opposed to sodomy.

would you like to see religions be stopped from expresssin thier views of homosexuals/sodomy.

ReputationRep:

Not.

Regards
      DL
      western society (however liberal it becomes) cannot ban religion from disagreeing with sodomy or promoting their beliefs..... They are not promoting hate by doing so.... being opposed to sodomy is not a hateful act. There are homosexuals who are opposed to sodomy?

ReputationRep:
      When was that old declaration of independence signed 17 something.
      it made every American equal.
      Yep that progress took a few years and you will note that 1/3 of the politicians were against the repeal.

Nah, they are not hypocrites. Not much.

Regards
      DL
      Living in the past does nothing to help the present or the future.

And the argument trying to be made is that the west is the same as Iran on gay rights. Which is evidently not the case and a rather foolish exaggerated argument to make.

ReputationRep:
      I suppose you could try displaying affection to each other as a homosexual couple in public places, see in which country the authorities take issue, if at all.

Although...are public displays of affection disapproved of no matter what in Iran? I mean Dubia seems more Westernised but that British couple was arrested for kissed in a restaurant or something.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rajandkwameali)
      Gay rights in the UK are far superior to Iran, that's a no brainer.

which is a shame really.

Surely the time to return to criminalisation of such actions.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bunty64)
      western society (however liberal it becomes) cannot ban religion from disagreeing with sodomy or promoting their beliefs..... They are not promoting hate by doing so.... being opposed to sodomy is not a hateful act. There are homosexuals who are opposed to sodomy.

would you like to see religions be stopped from expresssin thier views of homosexuals/sodomy.
      I would like religions to stop discriminating and denigrating those who are not sinners except to a homophobic mind.

To discriminate against a sub group of society without just cause is to hate without cause.

That should be punished as it adds to the violence in the world.

Regards
      DL

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.