Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    We don't hate Dubstep due to the ' "filthy" mid range wobble'. Poor lyrics and instrumentally weak songs accomplish our hate.
    Most dubstep songs are remixed, very few have their own unique lyrics. Dubstep is a very techincal genre. It's not all about chord progressions like house music, it does take A LOT of skill though. For example, let's take a well known artist - Flux or Doctor P are probably the most known. In some of their drops you can hear 5-6 different synths and melodies combining into one. I can't begin to describe to you how hard that can actually be. You can use the exact same note, take C5 lasting for 4 beats. You play that note 5 times over but after each fourth bar you change the synth patch; which most dubstep does, this gives it a totally unique sound.

Not just fitting the melodies, but if you have 2 heavy synths playing together(as dubstep is very bass oriented) the frequencies of one will normally drown out the other, so some serious EQ is needed to get the mix sounding right.

While dubstep seems to have boomed from nowhere all of a sudden, I'm sure people said the same about electro. "LOL it sounds so distorted, it'll die within a year" - now look at it.

If you don't like the genre, fair enough, you don't like it. But there's no need to call the artists that produce it bad/musically untalented beacuse to be quite honest, the top dubstep artists are incredibly talented; they just don't play music to your taste.

I'd like to see anybody here that says they're not "true" artists or are terrible boot up Ableton/Cubase/Reason, program all your patches from scratch. Compose a melody. EQ it and release it. Go on, it should be easy since anybody can do it, apparently.

All of these artists produce their own music, how many 'artists' in the top40 can you say that for? Maybe 5? At a push. Also, I hate when people, especially within the dubstep fanbase, bash other types of dubstep. Sure, there's the UKF wubwub heavyheavy stuff - Which I love. But then there's chillstep, take Bar9 - Keep the fire.

It's like a Dutch house fan saying that Progressive house is the same. They're not. Just because they were born from the same genre, doesn't mean they've evolved together. Dubstep is in it's early phase, but already you can hear many strings breaking off from the pack; Heavy wubwub, chilled, bass heavy but no wub etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabobble)
    This is lame, it's so elitist, just listen to the music you like and stop trying to have a 'mine's bigger than yours' contest about the variety and credibility of your music tastes.

Anyone who claims that they don't like 'mainstream' music because it's rubbish is being just as close-minded as the people who never listen to anything outside the top 40.
    Most mainstream music is rubbish, its all about making money, marketing is what sells it, not talent. Lets look at last year top selling singles.

1 Lady Gaga Poker Face - Awful
    2 The Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling - Awful
    3 Lady Gaga Feat Colby O'Donis Just Dance -Awful
    4 Joe McElderry The Climb - Awful
    5 Cheryl Cole Fight For This Love -Awful
    6 La Roux In For The Kill -Awful
    7 Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow - Awful
    8 Rage Against The Machine Killing In The Name -Fantastic but only there because of campagin
    9 Alexandra Burke & Flo Rida Bad Boys - Awful
    10 Black Eyed Peas Meet Me Halfway - Awful.

I only went on about what genres I listen to as I got accused of being a rock music elitist.

ReputationRep:
    Just like D'n'B, people think it's all that dirty mad **** that must have a 'filthy' drop.

However, I am a huge fan of LIQUID DNB, this is chilled and actually pretty epic and is so much better than mainstream DnB crap.

Go on youtube and search 'Liquicity' that's the channel for it...some decent sonjgs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    I am a music elitist? And i presume you are that troll/idiot who is as close minded as they get with music. First time i've ever been called that. Daft Punk to me are electronic pop perfection. Easy for everyone to like and Discovery is easily one of the best albums ever. I presume you are joking about Biffy? Biffy Clyro were apparently good once but i have only heard their new stuff which is laden with big choruses and same old generic pop rock music today. If you think that is the definition of good music today god help you lol. Rock isn't dead, never said it was. I said instrumental quality was achieved to its maximum standard in the 60s/70s. You won't beat the likes of Dylan, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, Bonham's drumming, Clapton's guitar skills. So trying to beat them at their own game is an impossible task. Indie music is the only thing going on now and there isn't a fat lot going on there. Last decade started strong with the likes of The Strokes but i can hardly name many decent new bands from the past 5 years.

I will name some bands/artists which i have never really heard any criticism about and are very highly acclaimed:

Lemon Jelly, Mr Scruff, Leftfield, Orbital, Boards Of Canada, Aphex Twin, Amon Tobin, Ulrich Schnauss, Moderat, James Blake, Orb, Moby, The KLF, Massive Attack, Aim, Stone Roses (more rock but still they are brilliant), DJ Yoda, Future Sound of London, Plaid, Portishead, Air, Zero 7, DJ Shadow, Burial, Autechre, Propellorheads, Venetian Snares, Underworld ....

I mean, i could go on for days. All those artists have produced at least one highly acclaimed album, most have produced thoroughly fantastic albums throughout their careers. And you know the artists are so diverse, and fantastic it is just a shame that people might actually dismiss electronic music and never ever listen to such artists as i listed. I am actually confident anyone who listens to most of those artists above and gives them enough time will be a converted fan to so called electronic music.

You don't have to listen to those, and can just ignore me, but if you or anyone else are comfortable with finding new music and not sticking to the same old i'm sure you would give some of these a go.

Ftr I'm only trying to help those elitists who are sticking to the same old narrow band of music and have the cheek to call stuff like this crap when they clearly have no clue about the genre and such like.
    You were the troll in that thread, you attacked me at started calling me names because I said I didnt miss much music from the 90's.

Listen to biffy's first three albums and you will find some of the best and most unique songs out there, no other band switches between obscure and unused time signatures like biffy do. Its also not about trying to be a better technical guitar player than anyone else, its about making innovative music.

Indie music is not the only thing out there at all. Indie is a rather plain, boring genre with carbon copies of the same band being promoted by the NME.

I have listened to a few of those bands you listed, and I dont like them. I'm also constantly discovering new bands, so not just listening to the same narrow crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    You were the troll in that thread, you attacked me at started calling me names because I said I didnt miss much music from the 90's.

Listen to biffy's first three albums and you will find some of the best and most unique songs out there, no other band switches between obscure and unused time signatures like biffy do. Its also not about trying to be a better technical guitar player than anyone else, its about making innovative music.

Indie music is not the only thing out there at all. Indie is a rather plain, boring genre with carbon copies of the same band being promoted by the NME.

I have listened to a few of those bands you listed, and I dont like them. I'm also constantly discovering new bands, so not just listening to the same narrow crap.
    I think you may have problems if you think i attacked you? You started insulting people for missing music from the 90s and i told you the meaning of the word 'subjectivity' and tried to help you then too.

Can you name what artists you have listened to there then and albums/songs then? Highly doub you can have given them much of a chance. Remember if you're not used to something your ears don't know what to make of it right away. But it is worth getting into as i said.

ReputationRep:
    I am a music elitist? And i presume you are that troll/idiot who is as close minded as they get with music. First time i've ever been called that. Daft Punk to me are electronic pop perfection. Easy for everyone to like and Discovery is easily one of the best albums ever. I presume you are joking about Biffy? Biffy Clyro were apparently good once but i have only heard their new stuff which is laden with big choruses and same old generic pop rock music today. If you think that is the definition of good music today god help you lol. Rock isn't dead, never said it was. I said instrumental quality was achieved to its maximum standard in the 60s/70s. You won't beat the likes of Dylan, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, Bonham's drumming, Clapton's guitar skills. So trying to beat them at their own game is an impossible task. Indie music is the only thing going on now and there isn't a fat lot going on there. Last decade started strong with the likes of The Strokes but i can hardly name many decent new bands from the past 5 years.

I will name some bands/artists which i have never really heard any criticism about and are very highly acclaimed:

Lemon Jelly, Mr Scruff, Leftfield, Orbital, Boards Of Canada, Aphex Twin, Amon Tobin, Ulrich Schnauss, Moderat, James Blake, Orb, Moby, The KLF, Massive Attack, Aim, Stone Roses (more rock but still they are brilliant), DJ Yoda, Future Sound of London, Plaid, Portishead, Air, Zero 7, DJ Shadow, Burial, Autechre, Propellorheads, Venetian Snares, Underworld ....

I mean, i could go on for days. All those artists have produced at least one highly acclaimed album, most have produced thoroughly fantastic albums throughout their careers. And you know the artists are so diverse, and fantastic it is just a shame that people might actually dismiss electronic music and never ever listen to such artists as i listed. I am actually confident anyone who listens to most of those artists above and gives them enough time will be a converted fan to so called electronic music.

You don't have to listen to those, and can just ignore me, but if you or anyone else are comfortable with finding new music and not sticking to the same old i'm sure you would give some of these a go.

Ftr I'm only trying to help those elitists who are sticking to the same old narrow band of music and have the cheek to call stuff like this crap when they clearly have no clue about the genre and such like.
    Apart from Bonham, and Clapton in Cream, instrumentally they are nothing special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Apart from Bonham, instrumentally they are nothing special.
    I didn't mean instrumentally for the others really. More lyrically and the quality of stuff they gave out. :p: Apart from Clapton though who is probably the best guitarist ever if you want soul and amazing quality.

ReputationRep:
    Try everything by Pete Doherty and Carl Barat (and some of John Hassel's work also).

Ironically, I am half confident Gary (the drummer) actually has a record label and is signing large groups of dubstep labelled stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1RkJSU29B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJRvLT7Mhw

The two (very different) songs are of course in no way my favourites I simply believe that they are the best for an individual has yet to hear them.

Tough to call anything they have a carbon copy (people go ... they sound like strokes nah pete really gets some poetry in there).

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean instrumentally for the others really. More lyrically and the quality of stuff they gave out. :p: Apart from Clapton though who is probably the best guitarist ever if you want soul and amazing quality.
    Clapton's solo stuff is meh, I prefer him in his Cream days. And of course, Dylan and Reed are (probably) the "best" lyricists ever to grace this god forsaken earth.

ReputationRep:
    I think you may have problems if you think i attacked you? You started insulting people for missing music from the 90s and i told you the meaning of the word 'subjectivity' and tried to help you then too.

Can you name what artists you have listened to there then and albums/songs then? Highly doub you can have given them much of a chance. Remember if you're not used to something your ears don't know what to make of it right away. But it is worth getting into as i said.
    I remember exactly what happened in that thread, I said I preferred music from the 70/80's and you quoted me saying I know nothing about music, called me an idiot and then accused me of being a troll, and then couldnt accept that someone doesnt like the same music as you.

Lemon Jelly, Not listened
    Mr Scruff, - I like
    Leftfield, - Dont like
    Orbital, - Dont like
    Boards Of Canada, - Not listened
    Aphex Twin, - Dont like
    Amon Tobin, Not listened
    Ulrich Schnauss, - Dont listened
    Moderat, - Not listened
    James Blake, Not listened
    Orb, Dont like
    Moby, Dont like
    The KLF, Not listened
    Massive Attack, Okay, nothing special
    Aim, Not listened
    Stone Roses, Fantastic
    DJ Yoda, Dont like
    Future Sound of London, Not listened
    Plaid, Not listened
    Portishead, Like
    Air, Not listened
    Zero 7, dont like
    DJ Shadow, dont like
    Burial, dont like
    Autechre, not listened
    Propellorheads, not listened
    Venetian Snares, dont like
    Underworld not listened

I could come up with an equally long list of hardcore bands that you have probably never listened to, but I am able to accept that people dont have to like the same music as me.

ReputationRep:
    Try everything by Pete Doherty and Carl Barat (and some of John Hassel's work also).

Ironically, I am half confident Gary (the drummer) actually has a record label and is signing large groups of dubstep labelled stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1RkJSU29B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJRvLT7Mhw

The two (very different) songs are of course in no way my favourites I simply believe that they are the best for an individual has yet to hear them.

Tough to call anything they have a carbon copy (people go ... they sound like strokes nah pete really gets some poetry in there).
    I have tried to listen to most of Doherty and barats stuff, but I really dont like it. Probably because I have a hatred of Doherty

Seen the libs live (well two songs) and they were so boring.

ReputationRep:
    I have tried to listen to most of Doherty and barats stuff, but I really dont like it. Probably because I have a hatred of Doherty

Seen the libs live (well two songs) and they were so boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgdVTPD6AC4

:musicus: ... hardly boring or boring hardly?

ReputationRep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgdVTPD6AC4

:musicus: ... hardly boring or boring hardly?
    I dont like their music at all. I saw them at a festival because I had 20 minutes spare, they just seemed like they didnt want to be there. Most of the bands I see end up in the crowd and put far much more in than they were.

ReputationRep:
    I remember exactly what happened in that thread, I said I preferred music from the 70/80's and you quoted me saying I know nothing about music, called me an idiot and then accused me of being a troll, and then couldnt accept that someone doesnt like the same music as you.

Lemon Jelly, Not listened
    Mr Scruff, - I like
    Leftfield, - Dont like
    Orbital, - Dont like
    Boards Of Canada, - Not listened
    Aphex Twin, - Dont like
    Amon Tobin, Not listened
    Ulrich Schnauss, - Dont listened
    Moderat, - Not listened
    James Blake, Not listened
    Orb, Dont like
    Moby, Dont like
    The KLF, Not listened
    Massive Attack, Okay, nothing special
    Aim, Not listened
    Stone Roses, Fantastic
    DJ Yoda, Dont like
    Future Sound of London, Not listened
    Plaid, Not listened
    Portishead, Like
    Air, Not listened
    Zero 7, dont like
    DJ Shadow, dont like
    Burial, dont like
    Autechre, not listened
    Propellorheads, not listened
    Venetian Snares, dont like
    Underworld not listened

I could come up with an equally long list of hardcore bands that you have probably never listened to, but I am able to accept that people dont have to like the same music as me.
    You seem to have selective memory. You called 90s music crap and have barely listened to any of it to call it that. I have however listened to a huge amount of music from both decades and so had more of a grounds of opinion. But you were being arrogant, offensive and a tad stupid with your opinions. You can't dismiss someone's pov if you haven't got the grounds to dismiss it (in this case by hardly listening to any 90s music).

You are the first person i have met who or seen anywhere on he web who doesn't like Leftfield. Their live shows are golden too. Probably the best gig i've ever been to. And you don't like Aphex Twin? Windowlicker is probably one of the best songs of the last century critically and in my opinion too. Xtal is probably the most otherworldly and amazing song i have heard too. I'm surprised how you can dismiss such a diverse artist though. He makes the most beautiful music and then makes the most weird-amazing music. It takes time to get used to such artists i guess. You should give it a chance as i said. Listen to the likes of SAW 85-92 and Leftism a few times and i guarentee you will be hooked. The argument of music taste i don't like. I think anything with appropriate listening times and talent in there people will like. I used to be a huge rock/metal listener but times changed when i discovered electronic music. Ultimately i'm not writing this post to be an ass, i'm just saying things from my perspective and trying to help people at least show the effort i tried in finding music. And sure it took me a while to get into some of the artists above. The likes of Air, Lemon Jelly, Mr Scruff are easy to get into. Orbital, Orb, Boards of Canada takes more effort but it's really worth it at the end of the day for me! I would dearly like to know what stuff you heard from the artists you mentioned above though. I would be prepared to say you have only heard a song or two, or an album at most imo.

You don't seem to get it. I'm up for finding new styles of music. I have just given what is basically a very much opening framework of electronic music. It isn't deep at all and the amount of joy it's given me is vastly more than i had when i listened to other stuff. Music is music at the end of the day. I base off how it sounds and not what genre it is. I give everything a chance, so if you really want to give me a list go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    I dont like their music at all. I saw them at a festival because I had 20 minutes spare, they just seemed like they didnt want to be there. Most of the bands I see end up in the crowd and put far much more in than they were.
    Ah. Makes sense - at least you have given the music a listen.

A lot of people just say - you think that Heroin addict who ****ed Kate Moss is good?

Chars my heart.

I do think I should apologise though, I find it pretty annoying when someone pushes their type of music onto someone else, as I have done to you. However, when the Libertines are concerned - and fractions of the Libertines - I just kind of make an exception, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Chase and Status=amazing, back before they collaborated with all the big names and got very mainstream, look a their old dnb like Hurt You and Take Me Away. Then Saxon and Eastern Jam, bona fide classics. But then they just got ****.
    lol..... Those tunes are not 'bona fide classics' at all

The best thing they ever put out was Ten Tonne EP on Renegade hardware, as soon as they went to Ram they went ****.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPqb...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orgma...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M8zpBsMoM0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVKM1...eature=related

The last good thing they put out was The Druids EP And as soon as they signed to RAM they went **** with Hurt You, Take Me Away etc etc

They have had a few alright tunes here and there like Streetlife, but compared to Iron Fist, Hoodrat, Loves Theme etc etc it doesn't make it worth buying a whole EP for the one tune.

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of this thread is not to be an elitisit but educate people on a different sub genre of popular music, :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Then you're a bigot, with no taste in decent music. How can you call the track I've linked as rubbish, even if you're not a dubstep fan you'd still like them. I know it's about subjectivity, miusical taste, but they're so good it's hard to argue with their production quality and emotion they capture, let alone call them rubbish. Idiot.
    No really, it's rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Dubstep is a dull music trend that was forgotten about 3 years ago then dug up by you imbeciles.

ReputationRep:
    It's not all about "filthy" mid range wobble.

That goes for the kids who think it's "coo"l because it is too.

There's some very nice chilled dubstep out there; I think people should listen to more to get out of that "OMG fil teh wobblez" idealogy.

eg:

That song could've been made so much better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.