Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe the camera or the mirror? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    why do you think that?
    Because in the mirror you are more likely to focus on the things in your face that you like, the eyes seem to become more prominent.

The camera catches you at angles you wouldnt necessarily pose at in the mirror, plus sometimes when you are next to other people as a point of comparison in photos....that helps to clarify what you actually look like?

Thats just my opinion of course, I could be very very wrong ...lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    Because in the mirror you are more likely to focus on the things in your face that you like, the eyes seem to become more prominent.

The camera catches you at angles you wouldnt necessarily pose at in the mirror, plus sometimes when you are next to other people as a point of comparison in photos....that helps to clarify what you actually look like?

Thats just my opinion of course, I could be very very wrong ...lol.
    ah, true...although mirrors reflect real life where as cameras come in many different pixels/effects and that so that may affect the outcome :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    ah, true...although mirrors reflect real life where as cameras come in many different pixels/effects and that so that may affect the outcome :P
    Ah true, true.

Pros and cons, pros and cons...lol

ReputationRep:
    i look retarded in pictures.
    i look less retarded in the mirror.
    i like mirror.

ReputationRep:
    Mirror. I look a couple of stone heavier in photos!

ReputationRep:
    I think they both have their pros and cons. I'd lean toward camera although depending on the quality of the camera I'd be more likely to ignore skin tone, especially if flash is used. The problem with a mirror in my opinion is that although it is showing you yourself, you will focus on things others might overlook. Especially because it will be uncommon that they're looking at you from that exact reflective angle.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know which to believe. I look so different in different photos & different mirrors etc.

I'm inclined to trust the mirror though, random photos are heavily affected by things like lighting, camera quality and the like and another point to remember is that photos are still pictures which we focus on and scrutinize where as what you see in a mirror is probably a more fairer representation of what some one else would see in a real time real life situation.

Seriously **** those people that look good in every single photo

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy both of them. Idk, but I think we should like our own face & body whatsoever

The mirror indeed lies.

Here's something which is supposed to show you how you really look (don't try it out if you're already sensitive about the way you look):

Take two mirrors and stand them at a 90 degree angle (so you can see yourself in both of them at the same time). It's sort of the way you would yourself in the mirror of a dresser.

ReputationRep:
    Neither - they both lie!

ReputationRep:
    I always feel I look ok in the mirror.

Then I have my photo taken and immediately look like the devil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    I am SO unphotogenic it's upsetting.

Sometimes in the mirror I look alright.

Ergo, I trust the mirror, IN HOPE.
    Completely this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    Don't know which to believe. I look so different in different photos & different mirrors etc.

I'm inclined to trust the mirror though, random photos are heavily affected by things like lighting, camera quality and the like and another point to remember is that photos are still pictures which we focus on and scrutinize where as what you see in a mirror is probably a more fairer representation of what some one else would see in a real time real life situation.

Seriously **** those people that look good in every single photo
    I agree. If someone takes a picture of me in natural light with a really good camera, it looks a lot more flattering and like the way I see myself in the mirror. So I'm more inclined to trust the mirror. I don't understand the idea of the mirror being the way YOU see yourself, not other people... surely it's just a reflection??

ReputationRep:
    Mirror mainly because it makes me look better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronda)
    I believe the mirror cause the mirror makes me look better
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I think mirror but people always say i'm photogenic, i don't think it's a good thing though cos it suggests you look worse in real life! I think you look worse to yourself in photos though because it flips you the opposite way around to how you would normally see yourself in the mirror and because you're so not used to seeing yourself that way your brain automatically notices every single assymetrical feature... But to everyone else, the way you are in photos is how they always see you. I find if i don't like a photo and i flip it around it makes it look so much better!

i would hope mirror, but when you look in a mirror you kind of subtly pose to make yourself look good. so i guesss i dont always look that good, like my iris's are quite high and unconscously i squeeze my eyes abit when i look in the mirror so they look more normal, but obviously in every day life i dont always have this pose on..

because ppl say im attractive i tend to believe the mirror, cuz in photos i really dont see it. h/o cuz in photos i look similar to my sister and we do have similar features, then i believe photos, and i dont rly think my sister is attractive :/

ReputationRep:
    Mirror for sure.

ReputationRep:
    If photos were a good representation of how we looked there wouldn't be professional cameramen/women learning the trade for years to try and do it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    The camera makes me look and the mirror makes me look Which one do you believe more for yourself and why?
    If you are an un-photogenic (like me!) just say to yourself:

"The reason I take bad photos is because I have the kind of beauty that moves..."

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.