The Student Room Group

Help! My friend constantly talks about Skin Bleaching and nose surgery.. (black)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
What should I do?
She's black and it's really embarrassing, it's like she doesn't want to be black. I don't want her to end up like Jicheal Mackson. (I changed the name because I feel like I'm being mean.. )

I can see where she's coming from though because dark skin is pretty much disliked, I mean most black people would prefer to have lighter mixed race shaded skin, but of course still be black, deny as much as you like but this is only because of the promotion of light skinned black women especially.

When is the media going to change because right now there are no black (not mixed raced) women in an attractive role, or the 'hot girl' role and it's obviously making black women feel unattractive and unpleased with how they are. It's pretty upsetting.

I'm not a troll, i'll pm you if you really want but I wanted to go anon, simply out of embarrasement, I guess it won't make sense though..

What should I say to my friend? I've already tried you beautiful the way you are..

http://www.seethevampirediaries.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/BONNIE-BENNETT.jpg

http://a549.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/39/l_c6b7b05d2c6be86a815bcab14b9d9484.jpg

http://www.accidentalsexiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Nikita-pic-1.jpg

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-patrol/assets_c/2010/10/kat-tvd-hands-thumb-300x308-246447.jpg
Reply 61
You're right, who wouldn't want to be white?

FO SHO.
Original post by lovely_me
Michael did what he did because he was mentally disturbed. To imply white people forced him to have plastic surgery is racist, and invalid especially considering he had phenomenal success when he was younger as a dark skinned person.

I don't think black people want to be white and the OP never said that. But in some black cultures there is a desire for lighter skin, due to various cultural reasons, much like many white people don't wish to be black, but also desire a darker skin tone. To deny this is ridiculous.

With Michael Jackson.. he had vitiligo, which made pale patches on his skin. The treatment also lightened the skin, and using make-up to even out the blotches made him seem paler too.

All of the surgeries could have been because he was mentally disturbed.. but skin colour could quite easily have been because he would rather be all white than looking ill with pale blotches all over him. As he said.. doesn't matter if you're black or white.

:facepalm2:
CAN PEOPLE READ NOWADAYS!?!

I said that the media doesn't use black women as the 'hot girl' role in films/TV.

"I can see where she's coming from though because dark skin is pretty much disliked, I mean most black people would prefer to have lighter mixed race shaded skin, but of course still be black, deny as much as you like but this is only because of the promotion of light skinned black women especially."

No, being dark skinned is not "pretty much disliked".
No, "most" black people would not prefer to have lighter skin unless you can provide me with evidence otherwise.

I wont deny that there are people who may prefer to be lighter but "most" is exaggerating. By "seeing where shes coming from" You're implying that you do agree with why she is insecure to a certain extent. I assumed you did because you haven't seen anyone/dont see alot of people that made you believe otherwise. Im pretty sure that the media is not the only factor that makes your friend dislike her skin colour.

So yes, I can read :smile: and please do calm down.
Reply 64
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Really, who gives a **** about the media? Half the stuff they go on about is quite bull**** anyway. And anyone who follows absolutely everything in the media to a t, should really get out more. Learn to make up your own mind about issues, not blindly follow what's in magazines/TV/films/etc. Maybe then you and your friend wouldn't be so lost!

I'm not lost :s-smilie:.
It's you who seems to be. I'm just making a point, your point doesn't make any sence. You're the one who seems to be following the media, putting a girl, hmm where did you find out about her? -the media- in your sig, and other celebrities previously. :rolleyes:.

And the media is obviously extremely influential you have to be crazy NOT to realise this. Refrain from attacking me.
I know plenty of my Asian mates that want fair skin and being an Asian myself I just don't get the obsession. i actually prefer to be darker. I never understood the obsession of white girls wanting to get a tan all the time either.

and I agree about the whole media thing, I swear artists like Leona Lewis, Rihanna and beyonce who were already light skinned from the start seem to become whiter and whiter
Original post by akash11
Face it black is ugly, by making her skin lighter a having a nose job shes making her self prettier be happy for her. Not all people were created equal not all races were created equall.

racist prick
Reply 67
Has anyone been PM'd yet to confirm the identity of the OP?
I'm not lost :s-smilie:.
It's you who seems to be. I'm just making a point, your point doesn't make any sence. You're the one who seems to be following the media, putting a girl, hmm where did you find out about her? -the media- in your sig, and other celebrities previously. :rolleyes:.

And the media is obviously extremely influential you have to be crazy NOT to realise this. Refrain from attacking me.

OK, I guess I need to clarify. Yes, I do get slightly influenced by the media, and enjoy some things from it. I'm sure most people do in one way or another. However, I'm just trying to say that just because the media says something, doesn't make it true or right. It's OK to think about it, but you should also make up your own mind as well from what you see around you and from better sources. It's like that constant stupid debate of skinny vs curvy (a little off-topic but it's an example). One minute they're saying that being thin is "in", the next minute it's being big. If you were a blind follower of the media, would this not confuse you somewhat? Would it not be better to accept the way you are, thin, fat, big, small, whatever?

I'm not sure I'm explaining this well, but what I'm trying to say is, word of the media is not gospel. Learn to take what the media says with a pinch of salt, and use your own head.
Reply 69
OK, I guess I need to clarify. Yes, I do get slightly influenced by the media, and enjoy some things from it. I'm sure most people do in one way or another. However, I'm just trying to say that just because the media says something, doesn't make it true or right. It's OK to think about it, but you should also make up your own mind as well from what you see around you and from better sources. It's like that constant stupid debate of skinny vs curvy (a little off-topic but it's an example). One minute they're saying that being thin is "in", the next minute it's being big. If you were a blind follower of the media, would this not confuse you somewhat? Would it not be better to accept the way you are, thin, fat, big, small, whatever?

I'm not sure I'm explaining this well, but what I'm trying to say is, word of the media is not gospel. Learn to take what the media says with a pinch of salt, and use your own head.

Totally agree with this. The media shouldn't be followed implicitly. Take what you like from it, but don't let it rule your life. Just do what YOU want.

Also, there are some very attractive black women out there. I don't think race is a sole factor in determining someone's attractiveness.
Reply 70

What the heck are you talking about? When did I every say the media is gospel or that I think it is right what the media portrays is right. You are one of those ramblers who goes on and on and yet make no sense.
x.

Original post by .Ali.
x.

I get the feeling you two are attractive as well :colone:
Hi, Im lewroll:perv:
Reply 72
Original post by .Ali.
Totally agree with this. The media shouldn't be followed implicitly. Take what you like from it, but don't let it rule your life. Just do what YOU want.

Yes, yes and 1+1=2

Obviously, people don't follow the media per se. It's just there in the background and conditions the viewers.
Reply 73
Original post by Left Hand Drive

Original post by Left Hand Drive
But white chicks are always trying to get darker?

Blacks just don't realise what they've got
Reply 74
Original post by Lewroll

Teheehee. Hello Lewroll. :wink:
Reply 75
Yes, yes and 1+1=2

Obviously, people don't follow the media per se. It's just there in the background and conditions the viewers.

There's no need for it to. More often than not, the media shows everything that's wrong with society, e.g drunk anorexic girls falling out of clubs. Why would anyone want to be like that?
What the heck are you talking about? When did I every say the media is gospel or that I think it is right what the media portrays is right. You are one of those ramblers who goes on and on and yet make no sense.

OK, maybe I did ramble a bit. Let me just keep more on topic and put it in simple terms then.

Yes, the media is overtly concerned with white beauty, but what do you expect living in the Western world? I'm sure the media in an African or Asian country would be pretty different. Your friend knows she's not the ideal Western beauty, but she should also know that that's not a bad thing, at all. She just needs to learn to accept herself for what she is. That's what I mean by taking what the media says with a pinch of salt.
Original post by Lewroll

Hey :sexface:
Reply 79
Original post by .Ali.
There's no need for it to. More often than not, the media shows everything that's wrong with society, e.g drunk anorexic girls falling out of clubs. Why would anyone want to be like that?

:sigh:

You cannot make a coherent point. What are you talking about, what does that have to do with anything?!

drunk anorexic girls :s-smilie: what??

Quick Reply

Latest