The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I don't have a lot of experience in regards to Islam, but I am an Anglican so I know how sometimes your faith can be tested.

There's nothing anyone on here can say that will help change your mind, because religion is such a deeply personal matter, you can do little more than work things out for yourself.

It's not easy, and your faith will test you like this (I've been lacking as a Christian lately myself), but if you truly believe in your faith, you'll make your way back to it. Don't let anyone, family or otherwise, convince you one way or the other. It's YOUR life, and if you feel you truly do not believe in the scriptures, it's time to make that decision.
Reply 61
Original post by bumppp.786
Firstly, thank you for visiting this thread.

I'm a Muslim; the last 3 or 4 years I've neglected Islam, and not bothered to look into it, learn the basic prayers etc.
Recently I've been really upset and down for no apparent reason, and I know this may sound stupid or w/e to those atheists; but I felt that becoming more in touch with Islam would make me feel a little better, mentality wise.

I'm stuck atm, I want to becoming more in touch with Islam but don't know where to start, or how to learn it properly and quickly.

Thanks again, TSR. :frown:

I would say start reading about our prophets like essa (jesus) muhammed (saw) yusuf , moses and becoming more in touch with islam will help you, you might be surprised.
I'm a Muslim; I've neglected Islam.

1) You're not a Muslim now.

2) Good.
Reply 63
Hi,

In all of this follow your heart but know that you will have to answer God for all that you do.

I believe in Jesus. I'm a Christian. I believe that when I meet God face to face it will be a rather joyous occasion :smile:.

As Christianity says, if you don't believe this then you're going to hell.
And Islam says, if you don't believe so and so you're going to hell.
And Judaism says, if you're not a Jew... (honestly I have no idea... I think people can convert to Judaism if they really want to)

I suggest that you pray to God sincerely and ask him to bring you close to him. Ask God himself to lead you in the right direction.
God once said, 'if you seek me with all your heart then you will find me'. If you're truely desiring to know God... the real God. Then pray to God and explain your situation to him.
If anyone ever to exist is capable of understanding you and loving you... it's God.
Original post by paulsmithfan
What a load of cods wallop. No untruth is more or less true then any other untruth. Truth exists independently of knowledge and beliefs. With the exception of the subjective 'I AM' all knowledge is just belief. If 'God' is a reality then that is a truth which is not altered by any belief or knowledge. It just is the 'Truth' and always will be. Truth believed is a lie, no belief is true and to say any belief is true is to open the flood gates and and say that all beliefs are true.

Try thinking for yourself instead of the faulty logic that if some 'philosophy' book says so then it must be true...bull****.

Again, I'm afraid you have simply misunderstood.

I am not saying that knowledge is subjective, if something is true in the normal definition of true, then it is true independently of whether anyone believes it or not.

However, we were not talking about knowledge in the abstract sense, we were talking about someone possessing knowledge of a proposition P.

For someone to know something, they must first believe it.
They must also be warranted in their belief, and P must also be objectively true.

In your earlier post you said,
It's clear thinking not a belief. Belief means to think something is true without knowing if it is or not.

And that is what I was correcting you on. Your definition of belief is false.
Every proposition which I hold to be true is a belief, and some of those (hopefully most :biggrin: ) are propositions I know.

Your initial post said,
All beliefs are based on the premise that you do not want to know the truth."

Again, you have very muddled ideas about what 'belief' is.
If you hold that proposition to be true, then that is a belief. It makes absolutely no sense to say that if you believe any proposition P, then you do not want to know the truth at all.
Your view is self-defeating because that proposition that you hold to be true means that you yourself do not want to know the truth
Reply 65
I don't think you're going to find a solution without looking at the problem.
(edited 13 years ago)
Firstly, thank you for visiting this thread.

I'm a Muslim; the last 3 or 4 years I've neglected Islam, and not bothered to look into it, learn the basic prayers etc.
Recently I've been really upset and down for no apparent reason, and I know this may sound stupid or w/e to those atheists; but I felt that becoming more in touch with Islam would make me feel a little better, mentality wise.

I'm stuck atm, I want to becoming more in touch with Islam but don't know where to start, or how to learn it properly and quickly.

Thanks again, TSR. :frown:

I respect your honesty and courage to post that here.

I would really encourage you to think about what you've gone through though, especially with regards to Islam.

Let's say that when you were unsure about islam, after a long period of hard thinking and reasoning you ended up deciding that you could no longer seriously believe that the Qur'an was the word of God, and so you decided to no longer count yourself a Muslim.
Do you know what they punishment for such a decision would be, under islamic law?
If you are unsure, the quick answer is here in question 1 in the 'ask a muslim' thread.

Is that really the religion you want to be a part of?

I would ask you to seriously consider reading the Bible for yourself and asking God to guide you in your search for the Truth. What's the worse that can happen?
Besides, even the Qur'an says that the Injil (new testament) is from God, in surah 3:3 and 5:46, and says that God's words cannot be changed or corrupted, in surah 6:34, 6:115 and again in 10:64.
So even the qur'an says that the new testament is God's word and cannot have been corrupted. Read for yourself and see what you make of Jesus Christ.

Take care and God Bless, i really hope that you do not lose hope or get discouraged. Jesus said, "Seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you."
Salam Alikum

Start looking at helpful sites/ lectures/ motivational talks on You Tube (Sheikh Yusuf estes is very good, Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan, go along to your local Mosque (try to go to a larger one if there's one closeby), don't call as they don't always man the phones - just drop by during working hours or look for the Imams details from their website and email him or contact him. If you are a Sister then look for Ladies Circle at the mosque which you can attend and get some support from. Also check out Solace for Sisters (if you are a female). Don't feel scared or that you are out of your depth. Don't rush the learning it will come with time. I am a Revert of 2 yrs and I struggle a lot but stay with it, don't drop it and do not look to other Muslims to deeply because everyone may not be setting good examples. Read about the Prophet (pbuh) his story is lovely and follow what is Sunnah. There's much support out there but reverts do not have our family as support network so you have to find your own family by networking and making friends. Read Quran - also if you feel down or low - go to You Tube and play Surah Al Bakarah (this is a wonderful Chapter within the Quran which is very good to play in our homes (keeps away any badness/ shaytan), it helps to relax and calms us. It's very good to play before sleeping at night. Just have it on in the background as you rest or are doing housework, maybe have some incense lit and make that your time to connect to Allah. About the praying - get yourself a little 'how to pray' (Salat) book from the mosque or check online and take it step by step. It took me many mths to get it and even now my pronounciation is at times bad but Allah will see you trying and it's our intention that means so much for Allah. Prayer is very powerful. Try to start now and when Ramadan arrives you could try fasting - perhaps start by fasting half days not full days for the first Ramadan. Stay positive and Allah will guide you and help you. which Ciy are you in???? UK???

Sister Fran
Not one of these again
that's you in the corner
that's you in the spotlight

Latest

Trending

Trending