Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    We usually get around 20-30 but mum always says 'I'm not going mad with presents this year' but always does anyway. She loves seeing us open 'surprise' pressies.

We get our parents around 10-15 each, depending on what they've asked for!

I usually go halves on my main present with my parents if it's something excessive. This year I went halves on a pair of Chanel earrings.

My 28 year old sister however, loves hundreds of silly presents from cheap shops as well as stuff for her kitchen, so she gets lots of 'little' things to open whereas I prefer quality over quantity.

I'm so excited about my mum's christmas this year. She's going to be so happy with what we've got her Eeeep!
    What have you bought her?

ReputationRep:
    30-40? Jeeze, what do they get you? I can't even think of 30 things I would want without ending up with a massive list of books or something :p: Usually a main present, like a phone/ iPod/ camera, then 5 or so smaller things, like clothes, a book, a computer game, there's generally some form of cuddly toy in there =P :dontknow: When I was younger I got a lot more, but mostly because opening endless packages of coloured pencils, inexpensive toys and sweets was enough to keep me entertained

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    I think it kind of depends on what presents you're getting. I bought my girlfriend around 30 presents for Christmas, however the value of them all is around £200. I could easily buy her 4 presents spending £200, or 1 even!

You sound a bit like Dudley from Harry Potter with his Birthday presents, lol.....
    :sad: i'm not like Dudley. It's not like i'd cry if there wasn't a certain amount there. I tend to count them because I look at them and thing jesus how much is there (because it looks like a lot) hence my counting them. I don't count them to think right i got less than last year

ReputationRep:
    I used to get, I guess, 20+ when I was a kid and wanted cheap things. Now I'm more selective, so I get the same amount spent but less in quantity. This year it's around 10 presents I think. Ipod shuffle is the main, a few books and a few DVDs, a dressing gown, and I still get a stocking brimming with little things to last the year, like hair bobbles, clips, lip balm, little silly trinkets. Once I leave home it will probably be a lot less.

ReputationRep:
    Usually it's like 7-10 good presents, stuff I ask for like perfumes, clothes, shoes, pandora charm, etc. (no iPods or macbooks or any of that expensive crap, even though I would love to have some)
    I never get stocking fillers, most of it is useless crap anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    What have you bought her?
    We've got her a matching handbag and purse from a shop called Pia Jewellery, A selection of Jo Malone perfume, a Links of London charm for her bracelet and a luxury dressing gown from John Lewis oh and Judi Dench's autobiography lol. She asked for the purse and handbag, but we said we couldn't do the perfume as well - due to a lack of funding, so she's going to be absolutely chuffed when she sees the perfume as well

ReputationRep:
    My birthday's a few days after christmas and I don't think I get that many combined for both birthday and christmas!

I usually get a main present for each, e.g. ipod, phone etc. Then about 5/6 smaller things.

It's alright for some

ReputationRep:
    Around ten,

ReputationRep:
    :sad: i'm not like Dudley. It's not like i'd cry if there wasn't a certain amount there. I tend to count them because I look at them and thing jesus how much is there (because it looks like a lot) hence my counting them. I don't count them to think right i got less than last year
    lol, I was only joking love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    We've got her a matching handbag and purse from a shop called Pia Jewellery, A selection of Jo Malone perfume, a Links of London charm for her bracelet and a luxury dressing gown from John Lewis oh and Judi Dench's autobiography lol. She asked for the purse and handbag, but we said we couldn't do the perfume as well - due to a lack of funding, so she's going to be absolutely chuffed when she sees the perfume as well
    Aw that sounds lovely! I did the same thing to my Dad, I told him I couldn't afford much this year with me being at uni, and he said I know I know I tell you every year not to spend much. But actually i've managed to buy just as much as any other year, so I reckon he'll be mega chuffed with his mass amount of Christmas bags :woo: I love seeing his face on Christmas day!

ReputationRep:
    30 to 40 is excessive and if my mum ever bought me that many i'd tell her to ****ing stop, because after five gifts i would get fed up of fighting with wrapping paper and Sellotape. xD

ReputationRep:
    Maybe around five? I usually get something like this;

Money (£300-£750 depending on the financial situation)
    Drinks
    Edible things; candy, chocolates etc
    Clothes/Jewelry/Accessories; something like a sweater, a watch, a bag or something
    And maybe a phone/iPod if i've asked for one?

What the **** do your parents do for a living if you get 30-40 "good" presents?

ReputationRep:
    So i've been talking to a few people (teens like myself (19), and they say on average at Christmas they get like 10-12 gifts from the parents Which i'm a little shocked at, because I usually get between 30 and 40 (I thought this was normal) :confused:

So are they just not as spoilt, or is it about normal?

How many do you guys get? I'm curious now! It's not something I considered before.
    30 and 40 just from your parents?

I used to get a few small things from my dad (choclates, some books etc etc) From my mum usually one item costing usually about £20-40.

ReputationRep:
    It varies depending on how big the main present is. This year I got a car and Blink-182 tickets, so I'll probably just get 2 or 3 small things.

ReputationRep:
    About 5... 30 is crazy, don't get half that in total! And I consider myself from a fairly priveleged background..

Jack

ReputationRep:
    Oh btw now I'm older it tends to be something useful (some pans for the kitchen last year) or something jokey and fun.

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone from work last year who spent about £400 on each child, they were on a pretty average wage and did lots of over time and saved extensivly to do it.

Personally I think that is totally excessive and sets a high standard that cannot be met year after year.

ReputationRep:
    The hell?

40 presents?? What are you getting pencils or something?

I usually get one big present or two medium ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    We had these 2 kids (who were between 5 and 7) who stayed over at christmas once, and they got a total of about 50 presents, but they couldn't be bothered opening any more after about 20.
    That;s insane...what kind of things did they get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Maybe around five? I usually get something like this;

Money (£300-£750 depending on the financial situation)
    Drinks
    Edible things; candy, chocolates etc
    Clothes/Jewelry/Accessories; something like a sweater, a watch, a bag or something
    And maybe a phone/iPod if i've asked for one?

What the **** do your parents do for a living if you get 30-40 "good" presents?
    Lol, we don't get £300+ cash... that's the difference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.