Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear Jonathan (16),

Don't listen to your GCSE maths teacher, you really can do maths. Also, choose maths for university and not civil engineering, since you'll change to the former if you pick the latter, anyway.

Sincerely,

Jonathan (19)

P.s don't ask Laura out. She's going to cheat on you.

ReputationRep:
    Best..thread...ever!!!

Dear 13year old Wilz,
    Listen to the music you want to, dress how you want to, don't care about conforming to the stereotype. Don't let go of those two strange friends of yours, 'cause when you meet them again at 17, the relationship won't be recreated...
    Smile more/laugh more...don't do anything by halves. Be yourself.
    Wilhelmina (18)

P.S. DO NOT PICK A2 MATHEMATICS! CONTINUE WITH PSYCHOLOGY!!!

ReputationRep:
    Dear Younger Self

Just give up.

Sincerely.

ReputationRep:
    To my 7 year old self,

Pick up that old wooden tennis racquet your mum used to play with and have a crack at it, one day you'll be a huge fan of the sport and you'll regret not getting into it sooner. Chances are nothing will come of it, and you'll possibly be a skilled amateur, but since you're never going to enjoy football or rugby at the very least it would be a hobby that gets you out of the house.

Also, don't be shy with the camcorder, make films with friends and practise practise practise.

ReputationRep:
    Me aged 13.

Stop trying to be so freaking cool. It doesn't work out.

Sincerely, 5 years later.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Me,

Don't worry about things too much- it will screw up your mind. So what if your father didn't spend too much time with you? Let your brother and sister deal with their own mistakes and problems. More importantly, don't blame yourself for being 'different'.

Sincerely,

Your 19 year-old self.

ReputationRep:
    for gods sake hide your diary better.
    and stay away from the goddamn scissors, you know thats not where you want to go you bloody idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Younger Self

Live a little, FFS.

Yours sincerely, toasteh.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Me, age 15

Cheer the f*** up.

Also, mind the sink when you dye your hair. You'll end up in casualty for five hours if you don't.

And you won't die a virgin, so stop obsessing.

From You, age 20

ReputationRep:
    Dear 13 year old Me,

Please eat less and exercise more. I will thank you a lot for it in the future.
    Keep in contact with those who matter - brother, father - those sort of people. One day when you find them on Facebook it just wont be the same.
    Don't let your Mum walk all over you. Stand up to her - but not too much.
    Jumping off playground equipment will just result in multiple broken bones.
    When you attempt to run away at age 15 don't run to your Grandparents house!
    Ditch the 2 friends who treat you like absolute rubbish - there are better people out there.
    Don't be so shy.
    Never stop smiling.

Love 18 year old You xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no chance)
    No Chance @ 10,

You're bloody awesome, man. Chin up. They're all lying about their pubes. You will get kissed and cuddled, you won't go to Hogwarts, you know that already but really you should stop learning incantations. Do not google goatse when prompted, or delete system32. And yeah, it all works out well, don't worry.

Sincerely,
    No Chance @ 20
    Thanks for that. Tasty.

ReputationRep:
    dear me,

dont be such a flange and try had in your gcses

sincerely flange

ReputationRep:
    Dear Tom, aged 11

Don't keep hanging on for your dad. He won't change, and you'll only keep on feeling the same. And don't turn away from your stepdad, otherwise you'll have lost the only two male role models you're going to get.

You're just starting secondary school, so don't think you need to be quirky or pretend to be gay just to amuse people. They'll like you for who you are, so really just tone it down. And no, it's not clever swearing at bullies.

And stop fretting about girls... you'll make a few stupid choices along the way. But don't be down... not wanting to kiss a girl doesn't make you weird, it just means you're not attracted to her. You'll find someone who gets you... I know 6 years seems a long time but it'll be worth it, trust me. And when you get to that point, think less! She loves you, so cut the fretting.

Chin up, you're going to fly.

Love,

Tom, aged 17

P.S. telling a girl 'I liked holding your hand today' won't earn you any brownie points... :P

ReputationRep:
    Dear Lewroll age 10
    When that man asks you to get in his van to go to toys r us, dont get in with him. However knowing you you little git, you probably will get in, so you better start saving up the money to pay for the therapy.
    Lewroll age 18

ReputationRep:
    Dear 14-year-old Soph,

Get the guts to break up with R before he has to ask you what's wrong. You know S isn't worth it, so stop holding out hope.

You'll end up being a serial monogamist, never physically cheating but almost always having a silly crush on someone else. Even when you've found someone who you think you could potentially spend the rest of your life with, you'll still have this incurable urge to be with other people. These silly childlike crushes won't wear off. You'll always want what you can't have - when you're single, you want the comfort and stability of a relationship. When you're in a relationship, you want the excitement of a fling.

Don't get complacent about your work. You might be able to coast through GCSEs, but A-levels do get harder. That bit of A2 Chemistry Coursework? DO IT. Get the draft in for the deadline - it'll get Mum off your back and it means that maybe Mr R and Mr F would actually congratulate you for getting into university. Everyone will tell you that coasting through school and college won't prepare you for uni - they're not lying! Sort your work ethic out early, and the first year of uni will be so much easier.

Don't base your career choices on your TV habits. You're too squeamish to be the female Gil Grissom or Dr House. Just think about what you're good at and what you enjoy. Don't drop French, you'll regret it when you're my age.

Try and get involved in some sort of sport. You used to love netball at primary school; get back into it! You're not motivated enough to go to the gym, and you need some sort of exercise habit. You'll go to the gym with J, but don't let yourself get cookies and muffins afterwards, it'll ruin all your hard work!

When you're with E, keep an eye on him. There'll be a time when he starts to go downhill. When he starts wearing long-sleeved tops all the time, and starts hanging out with those guys from Guildford. You might be able to stop him from seriously messing up his life.

Don't ditch your friends for your boyfriend all the time - you'll need them when it goes sour. Maybe if you're not so obsessed with J, C might tell you when J cheats at a party, and you can break up with him without all the messy heartbreak that will ensue if you leave it up to him.

When A asks if this makes you boyfriend and girlfriend, say no. You know you'll just get attached, and you know it won't go anywhere. At the end of the summer, cut all ties with him. As much as it hurts at the time, it'll create a lot less heartache and confusion later on down the line when he changes his mind.

Don't jump into anything at uni. You'll regret it later when you wish you'd had more single time and flings.

Lots of love and cuddles, 19-year-old Soph.

PS. If future Soph is reading this, please let me know what to do about the current situation?

________________________________ _

Most of my advice is relationshippy...

ReputationRep:
    Dear Lell, aged 14,

1. Put in more effort for exams, it will help greatly in the future when you want to get a good job!
    2. Ignore the bullies. You will grow into a pretty little swan and they will become hideous, fat and pregnant.
    3. Treat your mother better, she won't be around for long.
    4. You don't have to prove anything to anybody. Stop trying to impress everyone.
    5. Break up with R about two years into your relationship with him. Otherwise you will grow to resent him badly and cheat on him. You do not want to do this.
    6. Do not live with R at university. Hang out more with your friends!
    7. You will meet a really nice guy. Don't treat him badly, he does not deserve it at all-no matter how messed up you are concerning a recent break up that's no excuse to treat anyone badly.
    8. Don't drink so much. People will hate you for it.
    9. Don't leave the US because your boyfriend misses you.
    10. Eat healthily and go to the gym, don't be a fatass.
    11. Don't sleep with N. He doesn't like you like that so don't kid yourself.
    12. Don't waste time obsessing over A. You may think he is way out of your league now but he's not that great.
    13. Don't sleep with E-he's going to ignore you once he's got what he wants.

big love,

future Lell, aged 24 and 3 quarters

ReputationRep:
    (Here's but a fraction of what I would write)

Dear 14-year old self

Don't listen to societal consensus, do what you want, what you think is right, what makes you happy. When people say you are a loser, just ask yourself "Why is that the case?" Question EVERYTHING! Always ask "Why?" in your head whenever someone makes a statement.

Secondly, always have a goal in mind! Get going with some bodybuilding! Attractiveness gives you power, and power is everything. You may not be particularly interested in girls, but if they're not interested in you either... it's not the most advantageous situation to be in. Trust me.

Oh and most importantly, Oxbridge don't care about extracurriculars that much. Stop wasting your time.

Yours,
    17 year old self

ReputationRep:
    This is a message from the future. If you've managed to perfect time travel than call me. Also that one girl you liked turned out to be a posh slut. Woops!
    Now you have great friends and a girl you are incredibly close to. Hopefully one day you'll be a couple!
    If not, can you find her and slap her? Thanks.

Dear 9 year old self,

I know it's hard now, but you've got to stop blaming your dad. He loved you, and he didn't choose to die. Stop blaming the nurses too - they did all they could. The truth is, cancer is a **** and that's all there is to say.
    Be good to mum - she needs you right now. But remember, you are a child, and you don't have to grow up so quick. You're only 9 - you don't have to take care of your whole family.
    Don't let your fear of losing him and being left behind stop you from loving. You're going to fall in love with the most amazing person in the whole world, and it's going to be ALRIGHT.
    Above all else, DON'T PANIC.

Love, your 20 year old self

ReputationRep:
    Dear Me aged 16

Ok so your really happy that you managed to get into sixthform, because this is all you thought you needed to be happy. But actually your wrong and the next three years will be very hard for you and life will take a turn which you never thought it would. BUT don't worry things will turn out ok in the end. You do get into university and you do find a kinda of happiness eventually.

Don't be afraid to make drastic changes to your life. Get out of your comfort zone and put yourself in uncomfortable situations more often. The phrase: "Its the things that you don't do that you regret" is very very true.

The operation goes well by the way. It was painful but you don't regret it

Thats all for now

Me aged 19

x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.