Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cellophane11)
    Driving a wee bit slower is not dangerous and aggressive driving.
    Speeding up behind me, tailgating me, and continuously flashing your lights is agressive driving and that antagonises me...

But you were suggesting deliberately driving slower to try and provoke someone. Are you actually trying to defend the indefensible?

Coming up behind the car in front and flashing your lights is the accepted way of asking the car in front to pull over. Motorway drivers do it all the time. If someone comes up behind me I pull over as soon as it is safe to do so.

I suppose its too much to ask for a bunch of 18 year olds on TSR who have only been driving 6 months to actually understand road etiquette... But the number of people on here openly advocating antagonistic driving habits is utterly appalling. No wonder your insurance is all sky high if you drive like idiots. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    The thing that annoys me is when people drive with a foot of snow on top of the car and like instead of clearing the snow they just make like the tiniest hole in the windscreen.
    when he snow is falling off on the motorway people behind can't see a thing.
    when I was driving the other day, some stupid lorry thought it would be a brilliant idea to go at 70 in the fast line and splash a load of slushed ice all over my windscreen...I was not impressed! Ha

ReputationRep:
    I was having a driving lesson in the snowy weather and two cars pulled out on me at the same time, luckily i wasn't going too fast only 20mph outside a school but i certainly tested the brakes out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    But you were suggesting deliberately driving slower to try and provoke someone. Are you actually trying to defend the indefensible?

Coming up behind the car in front and flashing your lights is the accepted way of asking the car in front to pull over. Motorway drivers do it all the time. If someone comes up behind me I pull over as soon as it is safe to do so.

I suppose its too much to ask for a bunch of 18 year olds on TSR who have only been driving 6 months to actually understand road etiquette... But the number of people on here openly advocating antagonistic driving habits is utterly appalling. No wonder your insurance is all sky high if you drive like idiots. :rolleyes:
    No that is a very aggressive way of doing it! It won't win you any favours or make the driver in front think you want to get past, rather be like WTF is he doing!? A better way would be to use indicators, but sometimes it is just better to stick behind a slow driver, particularly in the snow and ice. You don't save much time by overtaking anyway.

Unless the car in front is going to stop and is slipping, then definitely overtake if it is safe to do so, simply by indicating.

If a car comes up behind me on a motorway, at speed, flashing his lights, I stay in the outside for being such an arrogant prick to think that I will get out of his way because he was going faster than me. I will wait until there is a space and then pull in. The fact that he was going faster than me and came up behind me is enough to show me that he wants to go faster, I don't need him to flash lights or anything.

ReputationRep:
    My family and I lived in Croatia around 11/12 years ago, and of course it snowed a lot there every winter, so my dad became an expert in driving in the snow. Now it's snowing here, whilst driving he's always tutting at other people lol Apparently you're not meant to use the breaks because the tires will get stuck; you have to control the speed using the gear-stick so as to control the engine, and let the tires flow. He drives just as well on the snow as without it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reggio)
    My family and I lived in Croatia around 11/12 years ago, and of course it snowed a lot there every winter, so my dad became an expert in driving in the snow. Now it's snowing here, whilst driving he's always tutting at other people lol Apparently you're not meant to use the breaks because the tires will get stuck; you have to control the speed using the gear-stick so as to control the engine, and let the tires flow. He drives just as well on the snow as without it lol
    That's true! Always makes me laugh when everyone goes straight for the brakes to slow down, engine braking is the name of the game, then brakes just to stop from like 5mph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    No that is a very aggressive way of doing it! It won't win you any favours or make the driver in front think you want to get past, rather be like WTF is he doing!? A better way would be to use indicators, but sometimes it is just better to stick behind a slow driver, particularly in the snow and ice. You don't save much time by overtaking anyway.

Unless the car in front is going to stop and is slipping, then definitely overtake if it is safe to do so, simply by indicating.

If a car comes up behind me on a motorway, at speed, flashing his lights, I stay in the outside for being such an arrogant prick to think that I will get out of his way because he was going faster than me. I will wait until there is a space and then pull in. The fact that he was going faster than me and came up behind me is enough to show me that he wants to go faster, I don't need him to flash lights or anything.

Some drivers put their indicator on you request you move over, some give a quick flash of the lights. Either method is acceptable, neither should be interpreted as aggressive. Normally they will give you a double indication as a "thankyou" once they have gone past you. If you ignore their polite request, then they might get aggressive, that's not really surprising, is it? If another road user is clearly angry about your driving, then perhaps you should consider what you might have done wrong, rather than getting aggressive in return.

The important point here is that it is really not unreasonable to request that someone moves over to allow them past if they are going at a speed considerably below the legal limit. The slower driver should simply pull over when it is safe to do so. I've benn in this situation numerous times: I've driven a tractor on the roads on several occasions, and its simply unacceptable to allow a queue to build up behind you: you pull in and let everyone go past. This is my recommendation for what you should do in the situation in the OP.

In contrast, what has been advocated on here by several naive young drivers is the idea that if anyone has the temerity to want to overtake you, they must immediately be a reckless maniac and deserve to die, and the best way to deal with other drivers is to deliberately antagonise them and hope they crash. Even if you think the other driver is an ass, does that really make it right for you to be even worse?

All drivers should try to be the best drivers they can be, regardless of their opinion as to the rights and wrongs of other peoples driving styles. The motorway is not the place for pointless and vindictive behaviour. Some people on this thread need to have a long, hard look at their personal driving style before they cause a serious incident.

ReputationRep:
    I see stupid drivers all the time, even in the snow. I thought that the snow and ice would make people drive with more caution, but this is not the case, sadly.

ReputationRep:

Yeah ok it's to try and provoke them, but they're making me angry and being angry while driving is not good.

Oh and I'm not 18. I have been driving for much longer than 6 months. And my insurance is not high

I will only do this when someone really annoys me.
    For example the other day I was driving along in the first lane and I could see this car with a queue behind it was trying to get on, I checked the second lane and it was completely clear. I pulled into it to let the other cars out.
    Suddenly this car came up behind me - must have been driving really fast (way past the speed limit) to get behind me so quickly. At that point I could have driven faster and then pulled into the first lane when possible. But it made me so angry I slowed down a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cellophane11)
    Yeah ok it's to try and provoke them, but they're making me angry and being angry while driving is not good.

Oh and I'm not 18. I have been driving for much longer than 6 months. And my insurance is not high

I will only do this when someone really annoys me.
    For example the other day I was driving along in the first lane and I could see this car with a queue behind it was trying to get on, I checked the second lane and it was completely clear. I pulled into it to let the other cars out.
    Suddenly this car came up behind me - must have been driving really fast (way past the speed limit) to get behind me so quickly. At that point I could have driven faster and then pulled into the first lane when possible. But it made me so angry I slowed down a little

It made you angry that there was a car behind you?

ReputationRep:
    I find it equally annoying when drivers drive excessively slow. Yesterday I was on an A road, gritted, barely any snow on it (you could comfortably do 40 and many were doing 60) yet this douche driver was doing about 20mph. Also on some local main roads there are idiots barely moving on CLEAR roads. Overly cautious drivers become a hazard in themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Some drivers put their indicator on you request you move over, some give a quick flash of the lights. Either method is acceptable, neither should be interpreted as aggressive. Normally they will give you a double indication as a "thankyou" once they have gone past you. If you ignore their polite request, then they might get aggressive, that's not really surprising, is it? If another road user is clearly angry about your driving, then perhaps you should consider what you might have done wrong, rather than getting aggressive in return.

The important point here is that it is really not unreasonable to request that someone moves over to allow them past if they are going at a speed considerably below the legal limit. The slower driver should simply pull over when it is safe to do so. I've benn in this situation numerous times: I've driven a tractor on the roads on several occasions, and its simply unacceptable to allow a queue to build up behind you: you pull in and let everyone go past. This is my recommendation for what you should do in the situation in the OP.

In contrast, what has been advocated on here by several naive young drivers is the idea that if anyone has the temerity to want to overtake you, they must immediately be a reckless maniac and deserve to die, and the best way to deal with other drivers is to deliberately antagonise them and hope they crash. Even if you think the other driver is an ass, does that really make it right for you to be even worse?

All drivers should try to be the best drivers they can be, regardless of their opinion as to the rights and wrongs of other peoples driving styles. The motorway is not the place for pointless and vindictive behaviour. Some people on this thread need to have a long, hard look at their personal driving style before they cause a serious incident.
    Indicator is better than flashing, but the fact the driver came up faster behind me is enough to show that I need to get out of his way when I can.

Overtaking in the snow, if the driver is going ridiculously slow then fine, but I have seen (mostly 4x4) drivers go hurling down a country lane at 50, overtake you and then panic when they hit the brakes and get nothing. That is crazy, so although a country lane speed limit is 60mph, it does not mean you have to do it all the time!

The best one was when I was helping out someone who was stuck on a country lane, a guy in a Merc 4x4 overtook me doing a ridiculous speed, hit the brakes for the next corner and went flying off into the next field, totalled the car. Serves him right for being so stupid.

If someone comes up behind flashing their lights in heavy traffic on a motorway or there is not a safe place for me to continue with my cruising speed whilst he/she overtakes, then I am not pulling in, till there is. It is not unreasonable for the person behind to have some patience until a safe opportunity permits a safe overtake.

In these conditions, everyone has to take a step back from the mad hectic rush of normal driving into much more sedate, careful and considered driving.

I have no problem with people overtaking others, but drivers should not assume that because they can go faster they should immediately get the opportunity to do so.

I am sure that is what you meant as well.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    A lot of drivers drive like idiots. Some go about 5mph when the road has been gritted and is completely free of ice, other try to drive fast on sheet ice and wonder why they crash.

You really need to read the road ahead and drive according to the conditions. If you crash then its because you are going too quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Indicator is better than flashing, but the fact the driver came up faster behind me is enough to show that I need to get out of his way when I can.

Overtaking in the snow, if the driver is going ridiculously slow then fine, but I have seen (mostly 4x4) drivers go hurling down a country lane at 50, overtake you and then panic when they hit the brakes and get nothing. That is crazy, so although a country lane speed limit is 60mph, it does not mean you have to do it all the time!

The best one was when I was helping out someone who was stuck on a country lane, a guy in a Merc 4x4 overtook me doing a ridiculous speed, hit the brakes for the next corner and went flying off into the next field, totalled the car. Serves him right for being so stupid.

If someone comes up behind flashing their lights in heavy traffic on a motorway or there is not a safe place for me to continue with my cruising speed whilst he/she overtakes, then I am not pulling in, till there is. It is not unreasonable for the person behind to have some patience until a safe opportunity permits a safe overtake.

In these conditions, everyone has to take a step back from the mad hectic rush of normal driving into much more sedate, careful and considered driving.

I have no problem with people overtaking others, but drivers should not assume that because they can go faster they should immediately get the opportunity to do so.

I am sure that is what you meant as well.

Graham
    Indeed, we are entirely in agreement about this, other than the fact that I would never actually want to see anyone crash, no matter how poorly they were driving. I am merely promoting a safe and sensible approach to road use.

Furthermore, I am sure you will join me in condemning those on this thread who openly advocate deliberately antagonising other road users in some kind of pathetic tit for tat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nizzay!)
    I understand people have to go slow when driving in conditions like snow and ice. But some people go a little too slow even when its safe to go faster by 10 miles or so. And everyone complaining about the snow and driving conditions, some people are just pussies when it comes to driving in the snow.
    Completely agree. I was on the way to work the other day and some tool was going 20mph. It was rush hour so there was about 15 cars all itching to get past, a few tried. But if you don't feel comfortable driving in the snow, just don't do it!

Yes some people drive too fast in the snow, they're fools. But there's just as many fools who drive far too slow, aggrevating all the people behind them which can cause accidents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    :rofl2: LOOL! im one of those annoying padestrians, the pavements are bare icy :nopity:
    Don't you even step to the side when there's a car right behind you?
    It's not so bad now the roads have gone slushy, to be honest it wasn't people avoiding icy pavements that I had an issue with.. it was just people who were pretty much playing in the road.

ReputationRep:
    I deliberately antagonise tailgaters. I usually pull over into lane 2 or 3 when safe to do so as you are required to do, but idiots, mostly in german cars who tailgate get special wind up treatment. If they are that impatient that they cannot keep a safe distance then i will slow down in accordance with the highway code and watch their rage build. That will teach them. and then when they go for an undertake i will floor it so theyve no where to go. act like an idiot and you will be treated like one by me. maybe one day they will wonder why people are ********s towards them on the roads and think "maybe it was me who caused it"

the people who try and cut in with no indicators get the same disdain. You know, you see them sizing a gap up no indicators or nothing so i close the gap and they give you the most evil look. Well, if you had the common decency to use your indicators then chances are if it was safe i would have let you in. I never let in people who dont use indicators. Its a matter of principle. Again one day eventually they might realise that no one lets them in unless they indicate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    I deliberately antagonise tailgaters. I usually pull over into lane 2 or 3 when safe to do so as you are required to do, but idiots, mostly in german cars who tailgate get special wind up treatment. If they are that impatient that they cannot keep a safe distance then i will slow down in accordance with the highway code and watch their rage build. That will teach them. and then when they go for an undertake i will floor it so theyve no where to go. act like an idiot and you will be treated like one by me. maybe one day they will wonder why people are ********s towards them on the roads and think "maybe it was me who caused it"

the people who try and cut in with no indicators get the same disdain. You know, you see them sizing a gap up no indicators or nothing so i close the gap and they give you the most evil look. Well, if you had the common decency to use your indicators then chances are if it was safe i would have let you in. I never let in people who dont use indicators. Its a matter of principle. Again one day eventually they might realise that no one lets them in unless they indicate.

I hope you have the balls to stand up and explain this at the funeral of the father of four who dies in the accident you will inevitably cause with your deliberately reckless driving.

ReputationRep:
    Surely its the ********s fault for trying to undertake. Also, if the speed limit is 30, that means its 30 on a good day, not in the ****ing snow. Drivers should calibrate their speed accordingly. I have yet to hear of an accident caused by slower drivers in the snow, than those idiots who choose to do 40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    A lot of drivers drive like idiots. Some go about 5mph when the road has been gritted and is completely free of ice, other try to drive fast on sheet ice and wonder why they crash.

You really need to read the road ahead and drive according to the conditions. If you crash then its because you are going too quickly.
    Well said.

As a driver you should always drive at a speed for what you can see. If you can only see 10m ahead then drive at a speed where you can safely stop in that distance. Never assume the road will be clear, there might be an broken down car 11m ahead!

That also means if there is someone tailgating you might have to drive slightly slower to all time that they can react to you breaking as well. (That's advice I've had from the police)

I would agree that if you are going significantly below the speed limit and there's a queue of traffic behind that you should pull in and let them overtake when it's safe to do so. If you're behind someone going slowly a flash of the lights or beep on the horn can be used to make them aware you're there. Constant flashing etc. and tailgating could be seen as agressive driving though and it would be the following driver that's in the wrong.

There's a different argument for motorways as you should only move to a faster lane to overtake a vehicle in front. You should then move back to the slower lane. Unless the motorway is really busy then that shouldn't be an issue. If it's busy then you either have to choose the lane thats travelling closest to the speed you want to go or if all lanes are at similar speeds it's usually safest to choose one lane and stick to it.

Saying they might be going to an emergency isn't really acceptable. Any vehicle doing emergency driving should have a blue or green flashing light and they are still not legally allowed to break the speed limit (but it's usually accepted that the can when it's safe to do so).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.