Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Got to laugh at this.

Macbook Pro's are amazing - probably the only worthwhile thing Apple make alongside the iPod, iPhone and the Mac Pro.

Macbook Pro

• OS X Snow Leopard ( as of current) + Windows in parallels or bootcamp
    • Better for designing and creating things
    • Better security
    • Its portable and light
    • It looks better than almost every PC Laptop - definitely ones around the same price
    • The display destroys most PC Laptop competitors
    • Requires much less tuning, tweaking, and ongoing maintenance (updates, scans, defrags, registry cleanups etc) saving time again.
    • Better applications

A Macbook Pro is worth the extra money purely just because of OS X and the ability to run Windows in virtual machine.

A Macbook can do everything a Windows PC can do plus more, A Windows PC cannot do everything a Macbook can do.

The iPad is a scam. Its not even worth going into. I had one, and returned it within 2 weeks. It is a disgraceful piece of equipment for the price.
    The price to spec to performance ratio is a rip off plain and simple hence why Mac are astronomically outsold by Windows machines that is all the info anyone needs to realise how crap apple are for giving us Value for Money. The display does not destroy anything made by Samsung and Acer, sure it looks glossy but that means nothing cus most expensive displays are glossy and anti glare. Better for designing what? A laptop in the cheaper MacBook price ranges would be running on a better spec aka i7 with mid to high GPU that would smash through every kind of app better than a Mac on it's dual core i3 or i5 and nvidia 320.

Don't get me started on the MacPro with it's specification that programs dont even make use of...all the MacPro is is a crap server tower for a rubbish price.

ReputationRep:
    What can a Mac do that a PC can not, and by this I mean Windows, Linux and android machines. I see no need in getting anything Apple. People just buy in to this type of marketing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgls9IwWUyU

Im not a MS fan, but at least Bill Gates knows his tech as well as marketing. Steve Jobs only knows how to market a product. For this, I admire Bill Gates but not Steve Jobs. I do however admire Steve Wozniak. Any way, when the first iphone came out it was behind pretty much every single phone in the market and it was very very overpriced. They were sold as the iphone is "shiny, it's glossy, its cool, its neat" etc...

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how **** your product actually is. As long as it looks nice, and you have te right marketing people will buy it

ReputationRep:
    Haha lol. Owned. It is entirely possible to build a "hackintosh" with the same components(or even better ones) for about £200-£300 cheaper and with a 3 year warranty(on average)

ReputationRep:
    Depends whatyou are goingto use it for, I got one for uni and it has replaced my laptop - this is mainly because I'm not a heavy user: I just watch stuff on Internet, surf and just stuff like that.

Yew there is going to be a refreshed version however there's not going to be q huge difference. Camera may be but nit many people actually use FaceTime.

Do you have laptop? How often to use the webcam on it?

The camera addition is only going to be the main difference really, iPad 2 is not going to be a big leap from ipad 1 so if you want 1 now, just get it now.

ReputationRep:
    If you're just going to surf on it, then a netbook would be a hell lot better investment, compared to an iPad. Netbooks are really good-especially the newer ones with N550 CPU's. The only downside is that Kaspersky can take up system resources when scanning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaargh)
    A pen and paper also have the added advantage of not making you look like a tosser.
    It wasn't particularly funny the first time someone said it.

Congratulations on being the third person to look pretentious.

ReputationRep:
    I know its off topic - but the MPB really isn't that bad. Especially with the 15% educational discount.
    There aren't many 13" laptops that are as well built, are as thin and light and have the same power as the 13" MBP.
    The ones that come close to the MBP (or better it) are the same price or more expensive.

Also

(Original post by LiberiFatali)
    Also unlike a normal computer where you can download new drivers or apps to deal with new file types, you can't do that with the iPad.
    Not true at all.
    Apple don't stop multimedia apps from playing different file formats.
    So you can go and download VLC (and other apps) to allow the playback of different file formats.

ReputationRep:
    But...not a single point you've made there is true so I went and fixed it for you. Consider yourself enlightened ^.^
    In terms of programs for web design a mac is much better. Dreamweaver on mac has more features and css editors are far better on mac. Macs are much better for creativity, a reason why most graphics firms use them and why colleges use them to teach multimedia courses. For day to day tasks then there is really no need for a Mac .

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry I didn't have the time to read an entire thread about one person's inability to make rational purchasing choices that don't make him look mentally deficient. I beg your forgiveness almighty one.
    Well you only had to look as far as the first post. As in the one directly beneath my opening post.

It's not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    In terms of programs for web design a mac is much better. Dreamweaver on mac has more features and css editors are far better on mac. Macs are much better for creativity, a reason why most graphics firms use them and why colleges use them to teach multimedia courses. For day to day tasks then there is really no need for a Mac .
    What happened to my post? Again, your coming back to the software. You can build hackintosh's for about £200-£200 less and buy them for about £100-£200 less and still use Mac software. The only thing different between the Mac's and a PC is that they're shiny and the software has been coded to have more features on the Mac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    What happened to my post? Again, your coming back to the software. You can build hackintosh's for about £200-£200 less and buy them for about £100-£200 less and still use Mac software. The only thing different between the Mac's and a PC is that they're shiny and the software has been coded to have more features on the Mac.
    Unless you buy specific parts, hackintosh's can be very unstable and a lot of work to maintain.
    Especially on a laptop, where you cannot choose what components are used.

As I have said, Mac's aren't THAT expensive compared to similar computers out there. In terms of the laptop space, there aren't many laptops that are as slim / light and are as powerful. As for desktops, you are always going to be paying more for an all-in-one.
    Saying that, the macbook air and the mac pro are very expensive for what they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Unless you buy specific parts, hackintosh's can be very unstable and a lot of work to maintain.

Exactly so. Hackintosh's are not that good to be honest. I'm typing from one now as I've stated in another thread. Its built to the exact spec recommended as well so its not as if anyone can say I have used the wrong pieces of hardware. A real mac computer is far superior in every way.

Especially on a laptop, where you cannot choose what components are used.

Again so true.

As I have said, Mac's aren't THAT expensive compared to similar computers out there. In terms of the laptop space, there aren't many laptops that are as slim / light and are as powerful. As for desktops, you are always going to be paying more for an all-in-one.
    Saying that, the macbook air and the mac pro are very expensive for what they are.

The Macbook Pro in my eyes is the best they offer.

You get the portability and decent spec for around £850. Then for an extra £300 I can get 8GB Ram and a 128GB SSD to replace the initial hard drive shipped with the Macbook Pro.

So for £1150 I get a Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM, a 128GB SSD plus the usual spec and I also have the original hard drive and original 4GB RAM as backup in case anything ever goes wrong with the purchased extras from Crucial.

I'm not a Mac fanboy and that's the honest truth. I've always been a PC user and for the majority of tasks a PC is more than sufficient and very good at what it does. In terms of Architecture then a PC is far superior than a MAC as AutoCAD is much better suited to a PC and the majority of firms in the construction area use PC's.

I have used a Mac at work and I will definitely be investing in one before I go to university. In terms of graphics design they are much better and are far more suited to a web design/development environment.

I have used both, it may be down to my own personal preference, but I find the programs available on OS X to be far more superior in what are available on the PC. Bare in mind that this is strictly in the designing sector - graphic manipulation, web designing, vector editing and so on.

However, If I was not involved in the computer graphics/design sector then I would not even think of buying a Mac. The real advantage to me is the Operating System and the programs available for it.

Xyle Scope and CSS Edit are far superior to PC alternative in my eyes, but again, thats my own point of view.

Thinking of it, whether or not you buy a PC or Mac should be down to what suits you best and what allows you to work efficiently to your top ability, not what anyone else thinks. I will say there are lot of fanboys who love Macs purely because of the image they get in public when seen pulling out a Macbook in Starbucks, I am not one of those people. I purely buy on what suits me to what I can get the best out of to do my work quickly and to a top standard that makes customers happy. A Mac in terms of design provides me with that. However, as I have done in the past, AutoCAD drawings, I will use a PC.

A Mac allows me to use OS X and Windows.

A PC doesn't allow me to use OS X, yes a Hackintosh is available but its not stable and its really not comparable to a true Mac computer.

So a Mac is more suited to me, as it provides me with both OS's to do design work and architectural work.

If you do not use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Soundbooth, Flash, and so on - basically the Adobe CS5 Master Collection to its full potential then a Mac is really not worth it.

A Mac is realistically a designers PC. Similar things can be done on the PC, as the CS5 collection is available but not the same amount of features. To someone in the industry its worthwhile paying for A Mac to get the extra features as the price will be covered in the profit I make by providing the services I do.

I wouldn't buy a Mac for personal use to be honest, Its purely in my eyes an investment to get a profit from design work in the long run. So in time it pays for itself.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.m1touch.com/

thats a pretty good looking touch screen tablet pc and it runs windows 7 go over to tech specs to get a decent look at the pc the page that the link goes to is for buying one

ReputationRep:
    The thing is it costs $500 minus shipping/tax This is around £320(before shipping and tax) The specs are the same as cheap netbooks using the N450 CPU. The battery life is not good. You could get a Netbook with 10+ hours and an N550 CPU at the price of the pad. Saying that, it's not that bad for a tablet

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Basically this with a smaller screen, half the processor power and no support for parts replacement?

I can't bring to mind any software that you can run on a PC that you can't run on a mac.
    Where do I start.
    Some people prefer the smaller screen. I know I do.
    The i3 is actually around the same speed as the C2D.
    The Nvidia 320M is more powerful than the Intel graphics.
    What parts? You can change the HDD and RAM in a macbook just like any other laptop. I don't understand your point.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about getting one too! What one should I get? The wifi or wifi & 3G one?

And should I get the 16, 32 or 64 GB one?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Neither

ReputationRep:
    Just dont. Save the money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Really? I have a friend with a macbook air and he never stops complaining about it.
    That's actually quite interesting. Personally, my experiences have been thoroughly positive. In comparison, the iPad looks like an unnecessary gimick of a laptop (or macbook air).

ReputationRep:
    I think a tablet with 3G is wasted, an iPad is just an iPhone with more functionality.

I don't think it's a waste of money though, if it's just for casual usage like web browsing or social networking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.