Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really hate my teeth- I have a gap between my two front teeth so I never smile, and often cover my mouth whn I laugh..
    I really want to get braces but my mum says it's not 'necessary', and I don't know how to persuade her to let me get them (I'm fifteen so it would free).

Does it turn you off when a girl has a gap between her teeth?
    Any advice? Do you like your teeth?

Have you already seen your dentist/orthodontist - it would only be free if you meet the new NHS standards which you need pretty bad teeth for + wouldn't you only have them free for less than a year (till you turn 16).

If you can get them for free though go for it!!!!! be commited to cleaning your teeth properly during and remember to wear your retainer whenever they say - which could be all day every day for 6 months though (which is why your treatment might not be free! at least a year with braces and then usually a year check ups after that with the retainer - then you still wear the retainer after that)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of my teeth, I really wanted braces when I was younger to sort them out; went to the orthodontist and she basically said they're bad enough to warrant braces, but not enough for them to be on the NHS, and so I could only get them done privately, costing a good few grand. I think it's because my mum can seem quite middle class so the orthodontist thought she could get some money out of it, but there's no way we'd have been able to afford it.
    I still regret not trying to get a second opinion on them, I mean my top row is near enough okay apart from the outer middle two (does that make sense?) stick out a bit, but I can live with that. It's the bottom row that is just far too overcrowded for my liking. Maybe when I'm a super-duper-trillionaire I'll get them fixed.

ReputationRep:
    Mine are bad. I used to be scared ot go to teh dentist and didn't realise they were bad till i was like 16, and now i'm 17, i didn't get to go for braces due to exams etc, but had fillings. my bottom teeth are kinda out wards ( 2 of them ) and that bothers me, i cant really see it as my lip covers it but, i really dont want them to be there.

is it possible for me to get braces...at the age of 17? ;s

ReputationRep:
    mostly as I had braces for a year + my retainer now and I brush my teeth really well all through that - the only thing is it's obsessive. As other people posted on here who'd had retainers they want more done.

Your teeth don't stay perfectly straight- I wear my retainer religously every night and everyday except for eating for 6 months after braces were taken off. now the teeth that were crooked are trying to move backslightly >

friking retainer and braces coming off chipped parts of my tooth and there's nothing to be done for that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpneeded-a)
    Mine are bad. I used to be scared ot go to teh dentist and didn't realise they were bad till i was like 16, and now i'm 17, i didn't get to go for braces due to exams etc, but had fillings. my bottom teeth are kinda out wards ( 2 of them ) and that bothers me, i cant really see it as my lip covers it but, i really dont want them to be there.

is it possible for me to get braces...at the age of 17? ;s
    you can get them at any age. but it won't be free - though by the sounds of it yours aren't bad enough to have gotten free treatment anyway.

it is 1000s of pounds, but the younger you do it the quicker your teeth move and so less expensive the treatment is as it takes lees time...so it's best to do it sooner than later.

ReputationRep:
    After 3 years of braces I love them. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    you can get them at any age. but it won't be free - though by the sounds of it yours aren't bad enough to have gotten free treatment anyway.

it is 1000s of pounds, but the younger you do it the quicker your teeth move and so less expensive the treatment is as it takes lees time...so it's best to do it sooner than later.
    well, teh teeth that are really forward , i can kinda relate them to cave man teeth lol, it's pretty bad if you see how outwards they are! and they also hurt me sometimes, they can't get pulled out becaus ethat would look weird..so i would need braces?

ReputationRep:
    After 7 years on the waiting list, two years with an 'appliance' that didn't work, wisdom teeth extracted (before they actually grew in 0.o), two and a bit years of braces and a jaw op that left me unable to eat or speak for a month...
    I love my teeth. I can finally smile again!

ReputationRep:
    i hate gap teeth :no:

but i like everything apart from my 2 front teeth, thats what you get for sucking your thumb for 15 years :emo:

and no they dont stick out like a retarted donkey :pierre:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My teeth aren't what you'd call perfect (I didn't ever get a brace)
    But they're not terrible either - I can cope with them being slightly crooked for now.
    It's not that noticeable when I'm talking/laughing as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpneeded-a)
    well, teh teeth that are really forward , i can kinda relate them to cave man teeth lol, it's pretty bad if you see how outwards they are! and they also hurt me sometimes, they can't get pulled out becaus ethat would look weird..so i would need braces?
    It depends by the sounds of it your bite may be off - you'd have to wear something to fix the bite (like a retainer), then braces after that to straighten, then another retainer after that... It could get pretty expensive.

If your bite was fine, then if you got the teeth pulled out a brace could close the gaps (but it depends how many/how big - it may not). I have a tooth with a root canal put I can't pull it because I would just have a gap then unless I got a fake tooth or something.

ReputationRep:
    I do, since I got braces!

Before I NEVER smiled exposing my teeth... now I feel so much more confident about it

ReputationRep:
    they do the job :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    They could be better, chipped tooth it has a cap now though mind, so looks about normal.

ReputationRep:
    I've had braces so they're straight but the top row are oddly sized - the two front teeth are quite large compared to the rest and the one of the ones next to them (lateral incisor?) is really small so makes them look even bigger It's not something that braces can change and I don't know what can...

ReputationRep:
    I got braces for my gap. Then sat on my retainer and couldn't afford to buy a replacement so the gap has returned but is only tiny compared to what it was before, so I like it now.
    No one in my family has a gap so I dunno who I inherited it from if it's a genetic thing, however, there was a piece of lip/gum/flesh hanging down from my top lip that was stopping my front teeth growing together. It had to be cut off in day surgery. Ouch!

I like my teeth generally. I should look after them more. They've been good to me. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really hate my teeth- I have a gap between my two front teeth so I never smile, and often cover my mouth whn I laugh..
    I really want to get braces but my mum says it's not 'necessary', and I don't know how to persuade her to let me get them (I'm fifteen so it would free).

Does it turn you off when a girl has a gap between her teeth?
    Any advice? Do you like your teeth?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lif...-1225962188062

Embrace your gappiness!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe Weavurrr)
    Who is that in your sig? >_>
    James Franco :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    I've had braces so they're straight but the top row are oddly sized - the two front teeth are quite large compared to the rest and the one of the ones next to them (lateral incisor?) is really small so makes them look even bigger It's not something that braces can change and I don't know what can...
    Crowns, veneers or white fillings. I have tiny little gappy teeth (less so since I had a brace, although they are trying to move back again) and the two teeth either side of the very front ones are even smaller- one is called a peg tooth. That one used to sit the wrong side of my bite. I also had to have my baby canines removed at the age of 17 because the adult teeth didn't grow down and push them out- one of them was lying sideways in the roof of my mouth so I had to have surgery to uncover it and put a bracket on it. So although my teeth are far from asthetically perfect (especially since I'm too much of a wuss to have the cosmetic stuff done) I am much happier with them than I was. I like the health of them- I have no fillings, and because they're so small, all my wisdom teeth have come through/are coming through fine on their own and won't need removing.

I think my orthodontist was happy as sad to see the back of me, all at the same time. I met him when I was 11 and saw him for the last time when I was nearly 24.

ReputationRep:
    I can't honestly remember the last time I went to the dentists, it was like, over 9000 years ago

My teeth seem fine though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.