Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nice beaches in the UK? (no pebbles!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Poole and Dorset in the south, and Ainsdale beach in Sefton. Also Barry in South Wales, it's not a holiday destination, but It's a nice beach - I like it anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I know you said in the UK, but if you could consider Ireland too. Some of the beaches in places like Donegal are amazing.

The beaches aren't and here in Wales either. Ynyslas beach is nice, and it's where the BBC kite ident was filmed.

ReputationRep:
    Woolacombe Beach - Devon

I love Devon, and Woolacombe is a lovely sandy beach!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosmof)
    Me and my girlfriend want to go on holiday next summer, but we want places where the beaches and nice and sandy (not pebbly).

Does anyone know of any places?

We've been looking for weeks.. we are clueless.

Thanks for any replies!
    Margate's nice.

ReputationRep:
    I really like Pembrokeshire's beaches, but the problem with Wales is that the beaches are only nice if it's sunny. And to the person who recommended Porthcawl, I seriously hope you're joking.

ReputationRep:
    Weymouth and Worthing are nice.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Bournemouth is pretty nice [=

Alternatively, the BMI beach in Birmingham city centre :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I went to a beach in bournemouth which was really nice...almost didn't feel like I was in England

ReputationRep:
    There's some absolutely fabulous beaches in the Inner and Outer Hebrides - incredibly white sand and clear water, and the water temperature isn't too bad either because of the Gulf Stream. I went to ones on the isles of Mull and Iona and it could have been Thailand or Australia (apart from lack of palm trees and tropical rainforest, and if the temperature had been a couple of degrees warmer) - I even had little fish swimming around near the edge of the sea by my feet.

ReputationRep:
    holkham beach in north norfolk theres pictures in this link http://www.holkham.co.uk/html/beach.html

http://www.holkham.co.uk/html/CoastAward_2011.html
    it won best british beach 2009, 2010, and 2011 (this year)

ReputationRep:
    Gibraltar.

(Now seriously, Bournemouth, Newquay, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    As said a few times some of the beaches in the north west of Scotland (mainland and islands) where I've just gone on holiday to are almost Carribean-like (though obviously mostly only in appearance), on a rare nice sunny summers day they're absolutely stunning. 2 beaches that I went to were these two

Achmelvich

Sandwood Bay

Obviously there are a few downsides, Achmelvich is a long way away from anywhere and Sandwood Bay is so remote at the the very top of Scotland that there isn't even a road to it, you have to park 4 miles away from it and walk and of course the weather isn't great but if you get a nice day like I did then somewhere like Sandwood Bay is so worth it and chances are you'll have most beaches in Scotland to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    I'm a local to the Dorset area, and I can safely say without a doubt that you will get no better beach here then Sandbanks - it is my favourite beach in the region and you can get a ferry across from there to some of our other nice beaches such as Shell Bay . Bournemouth is good, but i prefer Sandbanks as it can get extremely busy at Bournemouth in peak season . Boscombe is also a lovely beach I'd also recommend Swanage. It's lovely there, but it's quite a way from any major town.
    I live in Sandbanks! But i prefer Bournemouth beach <3

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with pebbles? Build a pebble castle, people are less likely to kick it over.

ReputationRep:
    Cornwall or Dorset or Wales

ReputationRep:
    Whitsand Bay (south Cornwall coast) is one of the best beaches in the UK, stretches for nearly 4 miles. Enjoyed it very much.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to agree that my home town (Bournemouth) has some absolutely cracking beaches but can get quite busy. Just across from Sandbacks is Studland Beach which is much quieter and remote, it also has a nudist section if you like that kind of thing.

If you time it right you can also watch the SBS jump out of planes into the bay there which is good fun.

ReputationRep:
    Falmouth

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why this got bumped (it was around 10 months ago i asked) anyway..

thanks for all your replies...

we did go to a nice beach in the UK...

it was....

(thank you for all the replies, ideas & suggestions etc)

we went to...

PAIGNTON!

cheers TSR for the idea! hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goerigi)
    holkham beach in north norfolk theres pictures in this link http://www.holkham.co.uk/html/beach.html

http://www.holkham.co.uk/html/CoastAward_2011.html
    it won best british beach 2009, 2010, and 2011 (this year)
    Spent most of my holidays as a kid on this beach. It's fab! But don't tell anyone, let's keep this to ourselves!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.