ReputationRep:
    Family.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I chose family already
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Family, no doubts about it. I'm too family-oriented to sideline mine for the sake of a career :yes:

(Original post by Bella_Cullen)
      Having a good career is important to me but overall I think I'd choose family, because for me, family really does come first.

However, I'm glad to live in a society where you can do both! But if you had to choose between having a career and having a family (strictly, one or the other) which would you choose? Think carefully!
      Career - 100%. Don't even need to think about it.

(Original post by shadow99)
        Family every time. Family is for life. Any job can sack you tomorrow and won't give a damn.
        Really? They could just:

*Die the next day
        *Leave you the next day
        *Move abroad the next day
        *Deny you contact from the next day
        *Marry someone else the next day
        *Divorce you the next day
        etc

(Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
          Family, most definately.

It's a part of our human nature, it's natural and yeah... I don't think I'd ever choose anything over having a family
          Pseudo-biological reasons. The human race won't corrupt if I choose career over family.

(Original post by ncsjohn02)
          the people who chose career are very very sad people.
          Why do you say that?

(Original post by NyLonEd)
          Career. Every single time.

I don't understand why someone would chose family over it.
          :five:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by im so academic)
          Pseudo-biological reasons. The human race won't corrupt if I choose career over family.
          I never said it would. Careers have been fabricated by us to 'earn a living' in a society which we've created blah blah blah. Having a family is the most natural thing any animal can do, including us.

Just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
          Probably family, though in real life, having a good career = better pay = happier family

ReputationRep:
          family - career people die old and alone mostly

You really need to juggle both, especially if you're female. I'll get negged for the reasoning behind my opinion however.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by ch0llima)
            You really need to juggle both, especially if you're female. I'll get negged for the reasoning behind my opinion however.
            Well what do you expect? They way you said need makes you sound sexist.

You don't need to juggle them both. You can if you want to, regardless of gender, or you can choose one or the other.

(I'm not going to neg rep you btw)

ReputationRep:
            If I had to choose, a family.

ReputationRep:
            Family.

I don't mind if I don't have a "career" - I'd be happy to just show up, do a job for decent money that I hopefully enjoy, and have plenty of time to be with my family and, if I have one of my own, watch and help them grow up.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by SPMS)
            However you are contributing towards an ageing population lol.
            I think I will probably end up giving in to her.
            My dad always said he didn't want kids. Then he became neutral, then I came along ... and he says the happiest times of his life were spent with me.

ReputationRep:
            Family.

I couldn't imagine not having one later on.

ReputationRep:
            Family would always come first, but I would always keep my career, whether it's part time or full time.

ReputationRep:
            Family :yep:

ReputationRep:
            I'm female but I'd want a career. I don't want a family, but I would like a partner.

ReputationRep:
            Family, every time.

Career is important to me. But family is everything to me.

My mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer this year (probably about 15 or 16 months left, hopefully a lot more!). I am in my final year of uni now, because I still want to get a good career. But sometimes it really just doesn't seem important anymore, because the thought of life without my mum is just unbearable, I don't even want to think about having a career because my mum won't be there to see it and be proud. There's no way I'm going away anywhere to do postgrad before it happens with my mum, so yeah. Family before career for me, 100%.

Preferably both though.

/Emo.

(Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
              I never said it would. Careers have been fabricated by us to 'earn a living' in a society which we've created blah blah blah. Having a family is the most natural thing any animal can do, including us.

Just my opinion.
              Well I say, I don't give a **** if it's the "natural" thing to do. I couldn't care about family or whatever. Career comes first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
            Useful resources
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.