Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemykitten)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Black Swan is the story of a girl who is very innocent and timid, almost virginal... who then loses her 'Prince' and becomes dark, seductive, and almost evil... ends up killing herself.

Portman was the Swan Queen, but the film has a double plot-line, which runs simultaneously. Portman has to let 'lose' to be able to act as the Black Swan for the ballet performance, but while she tries to achieve this, her REAL personality transforms. She starts off innocent, ends up evil. She literally kills herself.

Mila Kunis' character is what she perceives the Black Swan to be like - that is why she is fascinated with her. The mother, the director, the old prima ballerina, her dancing partner - they are all her 'prince' in one way or another, and throughout the film she loses them all.

The mother, Winona Ryder, Kunis, and Portman all play characters who represent different parts of the female psyche.

If you rewatch the film, pay attention to the colour set of individual frames - it's either black or white (evil or good), and this indicates Portman's transition from good to evil. The culmination is when while dressed as the White Swan, she kills her Black Swan self, screaming 'It's not your turn, it's my turn!', even though it is the Black Swan's turn to go on stage. We then see her paint her face/change her costume and turn from White to Black - actually losing her 'real' self to the Black part. Then at the end we find out that she has indeed killed herself, just like she is supposed to do in the performance. The film ends with her saying 'I was perfect', and from earlier conversations we know that her definition of perfection is to be both technically precise, whilst at the same time 'losing' herself - exactly what she did.
    This should be in a spoiler..... i imagine if someone hasn't seen it they don't want to be told what happens.
    /just saying :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I felt it. It was perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    You've still not seen the film, if someone asked me if I saw that Mona Lisa over in the louvre, and I said I saw less than half of it and concluded it was not for me it wouldn't really be a valid judgment would it? And if I went around calling the Mona Lisa crap after seeing less than half of it, I'd probably be a bit of an idiot

just sayin...

Of course it is perfectly valid to make a personal judgement about a film having not having watched the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    Just watched it, SO good. I mean, don't see it if you want a pretty movie about ballet or anything...

Ugh yeah, so glad I didn't wait to see it in the cinema and have had to sit behind some 13 year-old creaming himself because he thinks Natalie Portman's actually touching herself <_<
    How do you know she wasn't?

ReputationRep:
    can. not. wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    How do you know she wasn't?
    It being a film I'd assume it was simulated, unless I knew for a fact that wasn't the case. Either way it doesn't bother me; it's not why I watched it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was brilliant. Aronofsky's finest movie yet. Really vivid portrayal of the intense psychodrama of a ballerina's life. Sad, but mesmerising. Some fantastic visuals and I do hope Nat gets the best actress Oscar for it. She is just great. I had never seen Mila Kunis before (so weird hearing Meg Griffin's voice come out of someone who's actually attractive!) and was not expecting much from her, but she's fine. As for Vincent Cassell, he is superb too. Such a great screen presence.

Definitely one to see.

ReputationRep:
    Incredible film. Rather unsettling, but beautiful. The part when she finally dances the Black Swan is terrifying.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like the only person in the world who didn't like this film! I couldn't even get to the end. Maybe I need to watch it twice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lights)
    I feel like the only person in the world who didn't like this film! I couldn't even get to the end. Maybe I need to watch it twice...
    or once, if you didn't get to the end....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemykitten)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Black Swan is the story of a girl who is very innocent and timid, almost virginal... who then loses her 'Prince' and becomes dark, seductive, and almost evil... ends up killing herself.

Portman was the Swan Queen, but the film has a double plot-line, which runs simultaneously. Portman has to let 'lose' to be able to act as the Black Swan for the ballet performance, but while she tries to achieve this, her REAL personality transforms. She starts off innocent, ends up evil. She literally kills herself.

Mila Kunis' character is what she perceives the Black Swan to be like - that is why she is fascinated with her. The mother, the director, the old prima ballerina, her dancing partner - they are all her 'prince' in one way or another, and throughout the film she loses them all.

The mother, Winona Ryder, Kunis, and Portman all play characters who represent different parts of the female psyche.

If you rewatch the film, pay attention to the colour set of individual frames - it's either black or white (evil or good), and this indicates Portman's transition from good to evil. The culmination is when while dressed as the White Swan, she kills her Black Swan self, screaming 'It's not your turn, it's my turn!', even though it is the Black Swan's turn to go on stage. We then see her paint her face/change her costume and turn from White to Black - actually losing her 'real' self to the Black part. Then at the end we find out that she has indeed killed herself, just like she is supposed to do in the performance. The film ends with her saying 'I was perfect', and from earlier conversations we know that her definition of perfection is to be both technically precise, whilst at the same time 'losing' herself - exactly what she did.

PS: Bad rep? for what?
    Presumably because you just copied an untagged spoiler! Go back and spoiler your post!

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeing it soon with a friend! Can't wait! It looks absolutely spectacular.

ReputationRep:
    I saw it three months ago at the London Film Festival. It was so over the top. And the acting, from Natalie especially, is spectacular.

ReputationRep:
    I saw it last night, it was OK but nothing spectacular, just above average really.

Its no Requiem for a Dream.

ReputationRep:
    Black Swan is pap, lmao!

ReputationRep:
    i wanna see it, it looked good :coma:

but i'll probz end up watching it on my own at home if my mates arnt digging the movie

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would. Kind of disappointed really but I think I'll go and see it again in the cinema though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be (it seems like I'm not the only one who thinks this).

It could have been an amazing film but not everything clicked into place although I find it hard to pick out individual things that are wrong with it. One thing that put me off the film was that sometimes the background breathing and music were a bit horror cliche - the director could have been more original.

ReputationRep:
    I watched it, and by the end I was sure I'd seen something quite amazing, but there were parts of it that weren't clicking into place.
    Did a bit of reading around online about it, and found the thing that made it all come together. I need to watch it again in this new context, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it far more.

Personally, I thought Barbara Hershey almost stole the show in her role, she definitely stood out to me, perhaps more than Mila Kunis.

ReputationRep:
    Natalie Portman won the Golden Globe for best actress. Well deserved

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.