• View Poll Results: Would you?
    Yes! :sogood:
    42.94%
    No! :thumbsdown:
    57.06%

ReputationRep:
    Yuppers.
    And I'm a veggie!
    I love my cat to bits and all, but at the end of the day, I love being alive more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    No emotional attachment. :holmes:
    Just because you don't have an emotional attachment to an animal doesn't mean it of less worth. Is the life of someone who isn't a family member or friend of less worth because you have no emotional attachment to that person? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    If the question was would you kill and eat your mother it would be a tough one but for a pet definately, without hesitation. Dying or eating some meat is an easy decision. Anyone who says the wouldn't is either a liar or an idiot especially since most of you probably eat meat anyway.
    +1 Props!

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazuliblue)
    Just because you don't have an emotional attachment to an animal doesn't mean it of less worth. Is the life of someone who isn't a family member or friend of less worth because you have no emotional attachment to that person? :holmes:
    Of course the life of a loved one is worth more to a person than that of a stranger. Are you saying that given the choice between saving the life of your best friend/sibling/parent or a random person in, for example, China you'd not be able to decide? Frankly I'd rather everyone in China dropped dead than a loved one of mine. Worth is not intrinsic, it is subjective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Of course the life of a loved one is worth more to a person than that of a stranger. Are you saying that given the choice between saving the life of your best friend/sibling/parent or a random person in, for example, China you'd not be able to decide? Frankly I'd rather everyone in China dropped dead than a loved one of mine. Worth is not intrinsic, it is subjective.
    LMAO

My family mean nothing really to me.They're the same as everybody else.

(Original post by Lazuliblue)
      Touché. But the reason so many people in this thread are against eating their pets for survival is because of their emotional attachment to them.

ReputationRep:
      No, not my cat
      However if i had a dog

ReputationRep:
      no...cos i don't have any pets....

ReputationRep:
      Frankly I'd rather everyone in China dropped dead than a loved one of mine.
      :lolwut:

Really? You'd rather 1,338,612,968 people die instead of one person? :eek:

I dont really know what to say...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lewroll)
      :lolwut:

Really? You'd rather 1,338,612,968 people die instead of one person? :eek:

I dont really know what to say...
      Sure, if someone said "Either your dad dies or 1,338,612,968 random people on the other side of the world" then I wouldn't even need to think about it. Again, this goes back to the perception of worth - I really don't hold much intrinsic value to human life (especially as the species is so ubiquitous), but I value my father's highly.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
      Touché. But the reason so many people in this thread are against eating their pets for survival is because of their emotional attachment to them.
      This is true.

ReputationRep:
      Sure, if someone said "Either your dad dies or 1,338,612,968 random people on the other side of the world" then I wouldn't even need to think about it. Again, this goes back to the perception of worth - I really don't hold much intrinsic value to human life (especially as the species is so ubiquitous), but I value my father's.
      wow... i dont even...
      If i was faced with that situation, obviously i would hesitate, but there is no way i'd let millions of people die in place of one person, regardless of who that person was. The fact you wouldnt even need to think about it is what i find shocking i suppose.

ReputationRep:
      Not a chance!!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lewroll)
      wow... i dont even...
      If i was faced with that situation, obviously i would hesitate, but there is no way i'd let millions of people die in place of one person, regardless of who that person was. The fact you wouldnt even need to think about it is what i find shocking i suppose.
      There are nearly 7 billion humans in the world, there is no real possibility of extinction except by their own hands, all of them negatively affect the environment and are destroying other species. If anything losing a few billion of the human population would be a positive thing for the Earth as a whole, for other species, and even a positive thing for humanity (overpopulation, famine, poverty, unemployment, et cetera would be reduced massively). So, what exactly is so valuable about a random person's life?

ReputationRep:
      not a chance!! i love my puppy too much and even if you ate your pet you'd only last a few extra days anyway so whats the point Xx

ReputationRep:
      There are nearly 7 billion humans in the world, there is no real possibility of extinction except by their own hands, all of them negatively affect the environment and are destroying other species. If anything losing a few billion of the human population would be a positive thing for the Earth as a whole, for other species, and even a positive thing for humanity (overpopulation, famine, poverty, unemployment, et cetera would be reduced massively). So, what exactly is so valuable about a random person's life?
      :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      No. Partially because I just couldn't do it, but also because my cat is small and scrawny so wouldn't really do anything.

ReputationRep:
      I don't have a pet. BUT: If I had one I would. I am quite surprised at the amount of the people who would die rather than survive. I hope not to be in that situation anyway so it will be alright....

Wait can I just have a :Pepsi: instead

ReputationRep:
      wouldn't bother killing it...

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.