Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    I have some moral issues that a woman over the age of 65 can look like this:

(That's Priscilla Presley, she looks younger than her daughter).

People are meant to age.

+rep.
    she looks amazing though... especially as she's 65! people aren't "meant" to age they are "meant" to die.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldnt have it myself, as my imperfections dont need to be treated with surgery.

But I wouldnt judge someone whose had it, so long as they did it for themselves and nobody else and of course didnt over do it.

ReputationRep:
    I love your sig, OP.

If someone had facial surgery, I would be rather indifferent, but I would wonder why they felt they had to go ahead with it. I find my face to be fairly unpleasant, but I'm not quite that uncomfortable with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    whats wrong with a DD cup? if they are having an augmentation anyway, what's the problem with them going as big or as small as they want (as long as it's possible because i know if you are small to start with you can only go up to a certain size)?

i personally don't see a problem with plastic surgery. i don't judge anyone who has it because if it makes them feel happier and more confident... then really who cares? as long as they are doing it for themselves and not someone else. I don't think it would be for me (though never say never) because i don't feel insecure about my appearance, certainly not enough to go under drastic surgery, and couldn't cope with the operation... but if others want to take the risk it is their decision and i would fully support any friend or family member if they were 100% sure and educated about doing it.
    Nothing. The point is, there is nothing wrong with B cups either.

Saying "if it makes people feel happier and more confident" is missing the point. What kind of ****ed up society do we live in where a significant proportion of people are unhappy with the perfectly acceptable bodies they were born with in the first place? They're only lacking in confidence because the media tells them that they should look like something they don't, and you think this is normal and healthy? Its about as normal and healthy as bulimia - which is just a different symptom of the same underlying malaise.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's good on a personal level, ie. more confidence for that person, but it does say something about a society that pressures people into thinking such a step is necessary to be happy. We really can't consider ourselves a particularly enlightened civilization when the message people get growing up is that their self worth is based on how their face looks. People shouldn't think that they have to undergo major, and not 100% risk-free surgery just to boost other people's opinions of them.
    It's not surprising that this attitude exists though, given the way the media go on, and the amount of money to be made from convincing people to think there is something wrong with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Nothing. The point is, there is nothing wrong with B cups either.

Saying "if it makes people feel happier and more confident" is missing the point. What kind of ****ed up society do we live in where a significant proportion of people are unhappy with the perfectly acceptable bodies they were born with in the first place? They're only lacking in confidence because the media tells them that they should look like something they don't, and you think this is normal and healthy? Its about as normal and healthy as bulimia - which is just a different symptom of the same underlying malaise.
    you said it was weird.

and people have had issues with appearance for centuries... i mean i have been places where the western culture hasn't touched, or it's too expensive to get things like magazines... there are still women saying "i hate my eyes" "i hate my nose" etc. it's only now and HERE that they can physically do things to change them... is that really a bad thing? if people are so upset about it?

they can't help it, it's a human emotion.

obviously i do not think being insecure is healthy which is why i don't see a problem with them dealing with their insecurities if it makes them feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Braces fine.

ReputationRep:
    Like people have said, I wouldn't overdo it, but I'm not going to stop someone doing it if they like it and feel better about themselves

ReputationRep:
    I would never encourage a friend to have surgery unless a part was seriously deformed or something affected their health. However I think it is cruel and completely unnecessary to pick on someone for having it. If a friend were to consider having it, I would want her/him to be 100% sure of the choice. I think it is important, also, to mention that in a lot of cases, the outcome is not a happy ending. There are risks for every surgery/procedure and in a lot of cases whatever the outcome more self esteem issues arise. Yet in the end, I realize I am not her/him, and that at the end of the day, what I really want is for my friend to be happy. For me to go against them for having surgery is not helpful at all, and just creates more negativity.

Personally, I find the idea of me having cosmetic surgery unappealing. Firstly, because it would be a proof of my insecurities and I would begin to worry about when it would stop, and secondly, as the procedure scares me. Additionally, it questions my morals, I don't feel right to do it. I am thankful to have been born without deformities and raised in a positive environment where I grew self confidence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.