Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student suing Kings college Medical school for racial discrimination Watch

"At times both of them felt like they were treated differently because of the course they were on, by peers and staff at KCL. They also said there were issues related to ethnicity."

By the by in 2 of the 5 years Virginia was at KCL the student president was black. Pretty good going for a racist instituition with very few black students.

And much of the different treatment given to EMDP students was extra help and resources which had the unintended consequence of getting some resentment in a select few students.

But then if they didn't have those extra resources the argument is their drop out and fail rate would be so high as to make it pointless them doing the medical degree.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jamie)
      Ah but you got BBC back in the day when people used to get below an 'A' old bean.
      Ha wish I could use that as an excuse. Standard offers in 2004 were ABB I think. My offer was CCC. I actually got BCC I just lie without thinking...

ReputationRep:
      I'm shocked that these racists are going to be doctors!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jamie)
      "A middle class snob isn't going to care if the girl in the lecture with her is the daughter of a rich asian who speaks like her and went to a reputable private school - if she's a working class girl"

If the daughter of a rich asian who went to private school in what ****ing universe does it make them working class?

Or do you think that regional accent = working class?

Way off base.
      It's an em dash,can be used to contrast values, in the context it's clearly going to be used as however.

So:

A middle class snob isn't going to care if the girl in the lecture with her is the daughter of a rich asian who speaks like her and went to a reputable private school - (however) if she's a working class girl..."

(Original post by LaughingBro)
        I'm shocked that these racists are going to be doctors!
        Actually having met and worked with the accused people its fair to say they are not racist and already ARE doctors.

ReputationRep:
        It would help if there were details of how the university 'failed her' final exams. Surely they can find the papers and check whether they were marked fairly?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by thesalamander123)
        It would help if there were details of how the university 'failed her' final exams. Surely they can find the papers and check whether they were marked fairly?
        According to her website (http://www.virginiajibowu.co.uk/harassment) KCL are appealing against a court order to disclose her mark sheet on the basis of not being in the public interest.

Reading her website gives a much stronger with much more detailed case for something fishy going on than the Telegraph article which makes her sound like a bit of a whinger. Obviously hers is going to give the strongest case possible and there may well be another side to it, but I think it is worth a read for those wishing to pass judgement.

Also claims that she applied for the normal course and was placed on the EMDP programme despite having grades good enough for the former.

ReputationRep:
        I am thinking, tosh. Having just failed final year we complain. Doesn't look overly genuine, unless any evidence can be found...

(Original post by Huw Davies)
          Also claims that she applied for the normal course and was placed on the EMDP programme despite having grades good enough for the former.
          She was rejected from normal course, but then her file found its way to EMDP course as per the protocol with people from certain areas.

Its similar to how at Cambridge you apply to a college with adequate grades, are rejected and placed in the pool. You are then taken out of the pool by another college, or even in some cases the original college that rejected you!

The rest of her site has been heavily edited compared to what was previously printed by herself and her 'champion' Rita Pal (NHSexposed) whose website was taken out of the public domain around the time that th legal action began.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Jamie)
          She was rejected from normal course, but then her file found its way to EMDP course as per the protocol with people from certain areas.

Its similar to how at Cambridge you apply to a college with adequate grades, are rejected and placed in the pool. You are then taken out of the pool by another college, or even in some cases the original college that rejected you!

The rest of her site has been heavily edited compared to what was previously printed by herself and her 'champion' Rita Pal (NHSexposed) whose website was taken out of the public domain around the time that th legal action began.
          I did think it was likely to be something along those lines - was bringing it up more as being relevant to accusations above of "not clever enough" than backing up a claim of discrimination.

There do seem to have been a few claims withdrawn, some of which were decidedly weak (e.g. other students on her elective booked flights separately to her). I'd wondered what had happened to Rita Pal, last time I read her blog it was describing one of our tutors as "Satan's Little Helper"...

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Jamie)
          Actually having met and worked with the accused people its fair to say they are not racist and already ARE doctors.
          Really? Interesting. What have they said about what had happened?

(Original post by nazirard)
            Really? Interesting. What have they said about what had happened?
            THere was very little evidence against anyone and she didn't claim sustained bullying from anyone.
            Just comments here and there that added together were supposed to make some grand racist conspiracy.

But they were all out of context. A conversation where one person commented on unleashing genetic warfare on africa to decrease world population. Another where someone said 'I think black people are ugly'.
            Silly little snippets that dont mean someone is racist.

All of which were forgotten and ignored (many photos of virginia embracing these supposed bullies) until she needed a court case.

The people involved were more than a bit schocked when they got dragged into it (thanks to Rita Pal printing their photos and full names on her website - something which was later deemed so libelous that I'm guessing thats why she has had to hide her webpages).
            These guys were just starting their F1 years when these allegations started. THat was over 2 years ago. I expect it will be at least another year yet before court cases are concluded.

Kings hasn't helped matters with their secrecy over exam results and emails that were quite inflammatory.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Jamie)
            THere was very little evidence against anyone and she didn't claim sustained bullying from anyone.
            Just comments here and there that added together were supposed to make some grand racist conspiracy.

But they were all out of context. A conversation where one person commented on unleashing genetic warfare on africa to decrease world population. Another where someone said 'I think black people are ugly'.
            Silly little snippets that dont mean someone is racist.

All of which were forgotten and ignored (many photos of virginia embracing these supposed bullies) until she needed a court case.

The people involved were more than a bit schocked when they got dragged into it (thanks to Rita Pal printing their photos and full names on her website - something which was later deemed so libelous that I'm guessing thats why she has had to hide her webpages).
            These guys were just starting their F1 years when these allegations started. THat was over 2 years ago. I expect it will be at least another year yet before court cases are concluded.

Kings hasn't helped matters with their secrecy over exam results and emails that were quite inflammatory.
            Surprisingly, I can actually see how that could be the case. As offensive as those remarks are and should never have been mentioned in the first place it could have been because a case of bantering in the moment taken out of context.

Although I've got to say I'm very suspicious of King's not releasing those exam papers.....

If it were the case that she was bullied and subject to such vile racism as depicted in that shocking video clip then I wish her luck with her trial and hope justice prevails but if it really is just the case of a failed med students looking to point the finger of blame then may justice be with the doctors you have worked.

Thanks.
            Thanks.

(Original post by nazirard)
              Surprisingly, I can actually see how that could be the case. As offensive as those remarks are and should never have been mentioned in the first place it could have been because a case of bantering in the moment taken out of context.

Although I've got to say I'm very suspicious of King's not releasing those exam papers.....

If it were the case that she was bullied and subject to such vile racism as depicted in that shocking video clip then I wish her luck with her trial and hope justice prevails but if it really is just the case of a failed med students looking to point the finger of blame then may justice be with the doctors you have worked.

Thanks.
              Thanks.
              THat video is very slick created by a special design team hired by her lawyers.
              It makes use of language and contrasting white on black lettering to create a real shock value.

But when you disect it you realise much is balls.

The 'management' are mentioned many times, with no explanation as to which. A lay person will watch and see a conspiracy, I watch and know that the doctors at kings may well not have seen anything, and that the decision of the security staff at Kings Hospital has nothing to do with that of the managers of the medical school - a completely seperate instituion with no power over employees of kings hospital.

THe 'HIV and medical' research/testing is also ludicrous. It gives the image of these students being made to have blood tests and being given drugs!
              In fact they did a few written tests here and there.

Plenty of people don't get into medical school having been passed over for people who on paper are worse than them. Hell, I'm sure there were people who had better GCSE grades and more A levels than me who were rejected from cambridge in favour of me.

Was it because of my sweet white ass? Doubt it.
              Poo happens!

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Sarky)
              Ha wish I could use that as an excuse. Standard offers in 2004 were ABB I think. My offer was CCC. I actually got BCC I just lie without thinking...
              ahhh, wat a modest macca. she didnt even mention her eleventyone A lvls.
              • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Jamie)
              my sweet white ass?
              :hubba:

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Gizmo!)
              ahhh, wat a modest macca. she didnt even mention her eleventyone A lvls.
              And my GCSE's don't forget

ReputationRep:
              if modesty was medicine there'd be no sick people in clarkey's hospital, its got to be said.

(Original post by Jamie)
              By the by in 2 of the 5 years Virginia was at KCL the student president was black. Pretty good going for a racist instituition with very few black students.
              how remotely does this affect the view of a few racist students who might not even have voted?

did the black president give the few racist students an anti-racist speech and convert them all in an all too evangelical sweeping winover handclapping praise the lord chorus?

well no, he didnt, but just clarifying that theres not actual point in your point. cheers.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Huw Davies)
              According to her website (http://www.virginiajibowu.co.uk/harassment) KCL are appealing against a court order to disclose her mark sheet on the basis of not being in the public interest.

Reading her website gives a much stronger with much more detailed case for something fishy going on than the Telegraph article which makes her sound like a bit of a whinger. Obviously hers is going to give the strongest case possible and there may well be another side to it, but I think it is worth a read for those wishing to pass judgement.

The last bit isn't that bad. Medicine's hard to get into even if you have the grades. There may be too many people one year so they place people in the EDMP instead of rejecting them.
              • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by jam277)
              The last bit isn't that bad. Medicine's hard to get into even if you have the grades. There may be too many people one year so they place people in the EDMP instead of rejecting them.
              Yeh. I was rejected by Nottingham last year and given an offer for Biochemistry. I had grades good enough for the former. It's not exactly the same, but it's in the same vein: medicine is difficult so they try and give you a second chance so you're not stuck without a uni place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.