Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Bob Dylan the greatest songwriter ever? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoanyLisa)
    I can't say I've seen Im not there, but your not likely to be dissapointed with No direction home, I wasn't
    Lucky you, everyone I know laughs at my musical tastes :cool:
    According to my mate, I'm Not There has a number of different actors playing Dylan in different periods. Apparently Cate Blanchett is one of them! Should be interesting..

We should make a lastfm group or something for people in this thread, we need to stick together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    Yeah that question is massively subjective... but I am bias in my BB/BW obsession
    It's a good thing to be biased about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    It's a good thing to be biased about
    I'm trying to buy everything ever released by the Beach Boys and everyone one of the members (excluding Bruce Johnson) as well as ship loads of books/DVDs. I get mocked where ever ago... but I managed to discover Lolowander who posted earlier in the thread... I discovered someone equally as obsessed as me!

ReputationRep:
    You're 16. 16. Of course it's going to sound patronising to you.
    I speak as a voice for a generation. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    You're effectively saying he had good marketing behind him, and I will give you that, he did.

What are you on about the younger generation don't give two hoots? Do you know anybody who doesn't know the words to Wonderwall sunshine?
    Michael was racking up hits because he was a good singer (but they're a penny to a dozen) but at the end of the day, marketing and the corporation got to him and the rest is history.

Also, I've just checked and WTSMG did actually reach number one in pretty much every country and in the US number 4 which you can hardly hold against them. We all know the slack jawed morons in the US find it hard to appreciate anything without auto tune/lip sync attached to it.

You can hardly compare a band splitting up to someone dying m8. I guarantee you once one of the Gallagher brothers pops his clogs this nation will go into mourning and rightly so.
    MJ had 3 of the biggest selling albums of all time in Thriller, Dangerous and Bad.

Oasis only had one major hit album. I'm not saying Oasis were rubbish but they weren't as good as you or as the Gallaghers themselves made them out to be. Yes breaking America isn't the be all and end all but you can't aspire to greatness and not have made an impact in the largest market for music on the planet.

That would be like a boxer claiming to be the greatest fighter of all time but having never won a world title.

Well when the Beatles split there was a lot of commotion even when Take That called it a day and I can remember the legions of lady friends wanting to top themselves.

The papers may well reflect on one of them passing but it's not like the country will go into mourning or world leaders would pay tribute to the Gallaghers like they did Michael Jackson. There wasn't a head of state (from Gordon Brown, to Obama, HM the Queen, Sarkozy etc) who didn't pay tribute to Michael Jackson on his passing. Even Nelson Mandela made a statement on his death as did Yoko Ono, Paul Mcartney and Martin Luther King Juniour (yes MLK's son).

The difference is Michael Jackson was a humble individual and whilst a little bonkers, he used his fame and position to make a difference in the world. His songs tackled issues such as world poverty, war, the environment etc. He was the driving force behind USA for Africa and he was respected and adored all over the world and the fact that the news coverage was devoted to his death non-stop for the best part of a week is a testament to how much of an impact he made on popular culture. I don't think even MJ himself could have imagined how much outpouring of grief and coverage would have taken place over his death and in a way that's a fitting tribute to such an iconic figure.

The Gallaghers on the other hand would rather conduct themselves in a moronic way and give Mancunians and the British a bad name everywhere like the time he spat champagne at a crowd during an MTV recording in LA. The Gallaghers never cared about the fans or the city they grew up in. They cared only about themselves and hence are not particularly inspiring individuals. Seriously why would anyone want to be like them unless you had some sort of learning difficulties?

I seriously doubt Liam or Noel will be receiving a knighthood or any royal award anytime soon. They haven't done anything to warrant that.

Oh and Mick Jagger......SIR Mick Jagger was a rock star....perhaps one of the most famous of them all and he seems to held in quite high esteem mainly because he isn't a prat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    I'm trying to buy everything ever released by the Beach Boys and everyone one of the members (excluding Bruce Johnson) as well as ship loads of books/DVDs. I get mocked where ever ago... but I managed to discover Lolowander who posted earlier in the thread... I discovered someone equally as obsessed as me!
    Good for you! And good luck in your search for the Beach Boy's Holy Grail.

The french youth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_youth)
    More recently, Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel was (and I'm sure still would be if he made music these days) wonderfully strange in his style.
    yeessss he is and i was listening to their early demos this morning his most recent stuff sounds completely normal compared to these there's even strange rapping and one song where he just screams into the mic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    I actually don't know anyone who doesn't like them.
    I actually hate Oasis. So +1.

ReputationRep:
    If that's the case I fear for your generation

ReputationRep:
    Jeff Buckley >>>>>> Bob Dylan

Oasis are not even in the same league IMO

ReputationRep:
    i like oasis but yeah, lovely_me, you will grow out of them

i also like oasis more than michael jackson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sasha grey)
    yeessss he is and i was listening to their early demos this morning his most recent stuff sounds completely normal compared to these there's even strange rapping and one song where he just screams into the mic
    Haha sounds awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    I really hate the way some of the press tried to call Michael Jackson a paedo all the time when he actually got acquitted. I've read a bit about him and his father was horrible to him, with that and the amount of fame he got from a young age it's not surprising that he didn't turn out to be the most balanced individual.

The Rolling Stones are one of my favourite bands too, I think Jumping Jack Flash and Sympathy for the Devil are in my top 10 favourite songs ever. Particularly the live versions on "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out", awesome stage presence combined with great songwriting from Keith and Mick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    According to my mate, I'm Not There has a number of different actors playing Dylan in different periods. Apparently Cate Blanchett is one of them! Should be interesting..

We should make a lastfm group or something for people in this thread, we need to stick together.
    :lol: good idea

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan is truly inspirational but I would say Morrissey is my favourite lyricist and was incredibly influential on new indie bands.

An extract from Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before:

I was delayed, I was way-laid
    An emergency stop
    I smelt the last ten seconds of life
    I crashed down on the crossbar
    And the pain was enough to make
    A shy, bald, buddhist reflect
    And plan a mass murder
    Who said I'd lied to her ?

I love the ambiguity and poetic/humorous/dark metaphors. Morrissey is able to amalgamate so many feelings at once.

Some more from The Queen Is Dead:

(<i>Farewell...</i>)
    to this land's cheerless marshes
    Hemmed in like a boar between arches
    Her very Lowness with her head in a sling
    I'm truely sorry but it sounds like a wonderful thing
    I say: "Charles, don't you ever crave
    To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
    Dressed in your Mother's bridal veil?"
    And so I checked all the registered historical facts
    And I was shocked into shame to discover
    How I'm the 18th pale descendent
    Of some old queen or other

= wit, humour, intrigue, confusion, outrage etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    I really hate the way some of the press tried to call Michael Jackson a paedo all the time when he actually got acquitted. I've read a bit about him and his father was horrible to him, with that and the amount of fame he got from a young age it's not surprising that he didn't turn out to be the most balanced individual.

The Rolling Stones are one of my favourite bands too, I think Jumping Jack Flash and Sympathy for the Devil are in my top 10 favourite songs ever. Particularly the live versions on "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out", awesome stage presence combined with great songwriting from Keith and Mick.
    Yes his father was extremely strict on him and his brothers but I wouldn't say that was out of any morbid fantasy. It was more for the fact that the Jacksons at that time were living in extreme poverty and when he realised his children had a gift and talent to make their lives better, he was desperate for them achieve that ambition even if it meant hitting them with a belt.

I certainly don't approve of those methods and whether or not it had any effect on MJ's mental health is impossible to say without having conducted a full mental health examination which would be difficult to do right now.

The fact is though and people tend to forget this, MJ never held it against his father and he was recorded saying "I love you" to his father on the phone prior to the speech he gave at the Oxford Union in 2001. Again, I don't approve of what Joe Jackson did but that tough love spurned one of the most successful bands and the most successful solo artists of all time and MJ and his brothers certainly didn't hold it against him so we should respect their wishes and do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuartmaccormick)
    Jeff Buckley >>>>>> Bob Dylan

Oasis are not even in the same league IMO
    Wtf has Buckley ever done that's been notable except ripping off a song?

The french youth?
    Lol, who do you think you are, calling us youths?! You can't be that old yourself considering you're on a student website.

ReputationRep:
    no way lool.

ReputationRep:
    He probably is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    MJ had 3 of the biggest selling albums of all time in Thriller, Dangerous and Bad.

Oasis only had one major hit album. I'm not saying Oasis were rubbish but they weren't as good as you or as the Gallaghers themselves made them out to be. Yes breaking America isn't the be all and end all but you can't aspire to greatness and not have made an impact in the largest market for music on the planet.

That would be like a boxer claiming to be the greatest fighter of all time but having never won a world title.

Well when the Beatles split there was a lot of commotion even when Take That called it a day and I can remember the legions of lady friends wanting to top themselves.

The papers may well reflect on one of them passing but it's not like the country will go into mourning or world leaders would pay tribute to the Gallaghers like they did Michael Jackson. There wasn't a head of state (from Gordon Brown, to Obama, HM the Queen, Sarkozy etc) who didn't pay tribute to Michael Jackson on his passing. Even Nelson Mandela made a statement on his death as did Yoko Ono, Paul Mcartney and Martin Luther King Juniour (yes MLK's son).

The difference is Michael Jackson was a humble individual and whilst a little bonkers, he used his fame and position to make a difference in the world. His songs tackled issues such as world poverty, war, the environment etc. He was the driving force behind USA for Africa and he was respected and adored all over the world and the fact that the news coverage was devoted to his death non-stop for the best part of a week is a testament to how much of an impact he made on popular culture. I don't think even MJ himself could have imagined how much outpouring of grief and coverage would have taken place over his death and in a way that's a fitting tribute to such an iconic figure.

The Gallaghers on the other hand would rather conduct themselves in a moronic way and give Mancunians and the British a bad name everywhere like the time he spat champagne at a crowd during an MTV recording in LA. The Gallaghers never cared about the fans or the city they grew up in. They cared only about themselves and hence are not particularly inspiring individuals. Seriously why would anyone want to be like them unless you had some sort of learning difficulties?

I seriously doubt Liam or Noel will be receiving a knighthood or any royal award anytime soon. They haven't done anything to warrant that.

Oh and Mick Jagger......SIR Mick Jagger was a rock star....perhaps one of the most famous of them all and he seems to held in quite high esteem mainly because he isn't a prat.
    So you're not an Oasis fan then?

Your main argument seem to be 'look how many people bummed off MJ. This must mean MJ > Oasis.
    A true fan has no care for how popular their artist is or how unpopular they are. In that respect I would say Oasis fans are truer.

Oasis 4eva - God Bless :suith:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.