Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you judge people based on their taste in music? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I also judge people if they resent the fact that I consider rock, metal, chart music, punk etc. etc. all as being pop music

ReputationRep:
    It's a terrible thing to do so but I'm guilty of judging people based on their musical tendencies.
    An example of this is that it's likely that those who follow the charts are likely to be impressionable and devoid of real opinions; of course there are exceptions to be made but from experience this seems to be the case.

When it comes to music I'm elitist and I'm smug; I'm ashamed yet proud of it the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    Oh ****, I see I have many enemies on this thread D:
    What's so bad about pop-punk? :emo:
    It has the audacity to use the word "punk" in it's definition; it's basically a watered down version of something that was in no way watered down. A lot of pop-punk bands actually have no idea about the punk scene at all, which pisses me off; they see it mainly as a fashion thing... *cringes*
    As I said, they have no idea.

That, and I think the music's really ****. But that's just my opinion :ahee:

Edit: For example, there is no way (IMHO) there can be a transition from something like Disorder or Chaos UK to blink-182 or Green Day, and somehow they are both called "punk". It's madness
    If it was called something else then I'd have no complaint (aside from my disdain for the music).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSilentG)
    Absolutely agree with you on this one Drunk Punx; I know this is a generalisation but most metalheads are pretty obnoxious, though a lot of them seem like good people. I like Metal and its subgenres, however I'm musically diverse . You seem like a metalhead, a little to nice...:sexface:.
    I grew up listening to punk music (dad's old skool, he was there when it started), then started listening to black metal, and it sort of went from there.
    Now I mainly listen to DSBM, hardcore punk, Oi!, death metal, grindcore, doom, etc etc.
    My attitudes towards some genres of music (pop-punk being an obvious example judging by my above post) are elitist, but I see no reason why I should make any excuses for being the way I am. Hell, I'm of relative happiness

ReputationRep:
    I do pity those sad, benighted people for whom music is a glorified lifestyle accessory, or who otherwise doggedly conform to an arbitrarily limited subset of genres. While actual expertise isn't essential, any partner of mine would have to at least be receptive to a wide sonic spectrum, since my own preferences are nothing if not incredibly diverse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    I also judge people if they resent the fact that I consider rock, metal, chart music, punk etc. etc. all as being pop music
    Elaborate or I resent

With "pop" meaning "popular", you couldn't be more wrong if you were wearing a silly hat :hat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I grew up listening to punk music (dad's old skool, he was there when it started), then started listening to black metal, and it sort of went from there.
    Now I mainly listen to DSBM, hardcore punk, Oi!, death metal, grindcore, doom, etc etc.
    My attitudes towards some genres of music (pop-punk being an obvious example judging by my above post) are elitist, but I see no reason why I should make any excuses for being the way I am. Hell, I'm of relative happiness
    You're one cool cat . I do like Black Metal to some extent bands such as: Behemoth, 1349, Agalloch, Celtic Frost, Marduk (quack, quack ), Venom and Dimmu Borgir, though I'm musically diverse. Perhaps you could reccomend some Black Metal from my selections as you're a Black Metal connoisseur if that's ok with you .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by field)
    "screamo" stuff can, in certain circumstances, be very intelligent and endearing. Ambient black metal artists such as Burzum and Alcest are quite complex musically while work composed by Kayo dot and maudlin of the Well, right on the edge of what is considered metal, is extremely technical, taking influence from classical composition, and, in my opinion, of great value. And, indeed, screams and growled vocals are integral to the sound of these artists. From my experience all genres of music have the capacity to genuinely move.
    Huh, I never thought I'd see Kayo Dot mentioned on TSR...Hold on a minute, you're from York?! Which school do you attend?

And there seems to be much confusion over what exactly "screamo" is on this thread. For me a band like Jeromes Dream is screamo, and musically they are incredibly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I used to, because you can tell a bit about someone by what they like listening to, but I think that it's something I did a lot more when I was younger. Maybe when you're around 14 music taste probably correlates to what "kind of person" someone is a lot more too. I think I just grew out of it as I started to listen to more types of music - I listen to a much wider range of music myself now than when I was younger. Since being at uni I definitely don't - I have some friends that listen to what I think is absolutely dire music but they're really good friends and great people.

ReputationRep:
    I hope not at all, because my music taste is dire and shallow :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Elaborate or I resent

With "pop" meaning "popular", you couldn't be more wrong if you were wearing a silly hat :hat:
    Well, I tend to differentiate between types of music on a much coarser level then most. So at a root level, I would split my own musical preferences into something like:

1) Art music
    e.g. baroque, classical, romantic, impressionist, serialist, post-serialist etc.

2) Folk/traditional music
    i.e. regional or culturally based traditions of music

3) Popular Music
    e.g. Rock, Chart, Metal, Rap, Hip-Hop

4) Jazz
    e.g. Big Band, Bebop, Modal, Latin Jazz, Jazz Fusion etc.

I realise there is a lot of interplay and relationship between the categories but this is just the way I generally think about, understand and enjoy various forms of music.

In particular, I closely associate the various forms of music I am calling pop because they share many formal attributes and methods of production and dissemination. To name a couple:

i) mostly one vocal part and three to four instrumental parts.
    ii) mostly song based forms e.g. intro/verse/chorus/verse/middle eight/chorus/outro etc.
    iii) similar commercial models.
    iv) lyrics are generally more important than in other musical forms.
    v) mostly released in the album format with 8 to 12 or so 3-6 minute songs.

Of course these characteristics aren't totally unique but you have to organise things in your own mind somehow. I do see the difference between say a Death Metal band and Lady gaga - I just see the difference as being less profound then the difference between either and, say, Mahler.

Edit: Also, it is because I don't resent the majority of people calling things as diverse as gregorian chanting and post-serialist music all 'classical' because I understand what they mean when they lump the forms together in that way, even if I think they are more disparate than some of the items I consider to be 'pop' music .

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much like everything; even the most dire bands have one or two good songs, so I don't generally judge on that. (Unless it's Scouting for Girls. THEY ONLY HAVE ONE BASIC SONG, HOW CAN YOU LIKE THEM)

However I have met people who are complete musical snobs. This irritates me, because everyone has an opinion and it's not fair to tell them they are wrong.

I realise the Scouting for Girls comment now seems hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    Not much; I would only really judge someone on those grounds if they are the sort of person who lets their pop music preference dominate their personality.

Whilst I agree with the first paragraph to an extent, I don't think that Heavy Metal is in general a particularly complex musical art form. Maybe it is more of a technical challenge to play in comparison with a lot of other pop and rock music but I don't see it generally being much deeper (aside from a few isolated examples e.g. Meshuggah).

In the common room in my dept. (maths) I doubt even 30% of people enjoy heavy metal - there are a few into symphonic music and other 'classical' forms but I think the majority of people seem to have a casual interest in the general rock and pop music that is about. I was chatting to a maths professor the other week who is actually quite into rap and hip hop funnily enough and he is also into all sorts of music (folk, jazz, symphonic etc.)

Also, many people only have a passing interest in music (and indeed many other art forms) and don't really look for much depth or profundity.

Put it like this: every level of education higher I have gone, the number of people who aren't interested in music or are but like like unchallenging music like MOR or commercial pop music has gone down, whilst the number of people who like challenging, innovative, complex music like classical, jazz, non-commercial hip-hop and metal have gone up.

My experience was:

At school? 5% liked metal
    At undergrad? 30% liked metal
    At postgrad? 90% liked metal

You don't think metal is complex or intellectually stimulating then? I guess you're not a metal fan then.

ReputationRep:
    I judge men on their music taste. I don't judge women as much because I accept that most of the time, women aren't going to like old school hip hop. If a bloke says he likes whatever's in the charts, I assume he's a sporty person, if he's not a sporty person I assume he's a geek, at which point I assume we have nothing in common until proven otherwise. If he is a sporty person, I don't like them that much. I'm a music person!

But girls are more complicated cos they usually have a broader range of taste (e.g. my sister has a great taste, she introduced me to a lot of my favourite ska, punk, rock bands. But she watches and enjoys X Factor!).

So, males - yes, females - to a lesser extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    I judge men on their music taste. I don't judge women as much because I accept that most of the time, women aren't going to like old school hip hop. If a bloke says he likes whatever's in the charts, I assume he's a sporty person, if he's not a sporty person I assume he's a geek, at which point I assume we have nothing in common until proven otherwise. If he is a sporty person, I don't like them that much. I'm a music person!

But girls are more complicated cos they usually have a broader range of taste (e.g. my sister has a great taste, she introduced me to a lot of my favourite ska, punk, rock bands. But she watches and enjoys X Factor!).

So, males - yes, females - to a lesser extent.
    So its impossible to be both sporty and musical? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I don't. If someone shares my music taste, great - more to talk about and if they don't, I just shrug and don't give it any more thought. It wouldn't stop me being friends with anyone

To me, judging people on music taste is like judging people on their preferred genre of novel. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    So its impossible to be both sporty and musical? :confused:
    Nope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Nope!
    Is that not what you just implied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Is that not what you just implied?
    Nope! I'm not going to get into an anal argument about wording. Chill out and smoke a fatty.

To clear up the wording - of course you can be sporty & musical (I am!). I was referring to my experience in that there is an overriding aspect to your life (mine being music, others' being watching football), where if you were forced to, you'd cut all other entertainment out, in order to keep that one. I am a music person although I play football & watch it occasionally.

I also find that people who are into sports & also music, usually have a very different taste to mine, so I don't have as much in common with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peteo)
    Out of interest, what would you think about someone who likes all types of music from rock to reggae to dance to classic rock from metal to classical to pop to the didgeridoo depending on his mood?:rolleyes:
    There's almost always a dominant genre that people listen to much more than the other stuff I think. That's what I'd base my opinion on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.