Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    Imperial has higher entry requirements, thats a fact. You need A*A*A to study Maths or Joint Maths and Computing at IC, that's higher than Oxford, Cambridge and UCL. The majority of courses at IC require an A* in maths and an A in further maths. This is not the case for science subjects at UCL.

First you said IC ranks higher because of the business school, and now you're saying it ranks higher due to research conducted there. It really isn't lifeless at all, it's actually very vibrant, and VERY competitive (I'm basing this on my own experiances of visiting IC and talking to some of the undergraduates).

Not that it matters, but what are you studying at UCL and did you apply to Imperial College? You sound a little bitter tbh.

Edit: At the UCL open day I was told by the admissions staff that 38% of their grads go on to work in the city, at IC, the admissions staff told me that 50% of their EEE grads work in the city.
    Those figures are useless. You can work in the City as... a lawyer? an accountant? a chimney sweep?

IC is highly valued but it's not a birth right to enter into IBD - banks don't just recruit on academics. I've seen a fair few people from IC/Oxbridge at events sitting in the corner, talking to no-one and not participating. I've seen people from IC speak to recruiters (in front of a crowd), jumble up their sentences (because they're not Native English) and make themselves look like fools.

These recruiters realise most students have similar academics but they want people they can sit with for 15 hours a day and enjoy working with. All in all it really depends on the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singh316)
    LSE is not preferred to oxbridge, your living in gaga land. That list is:

1. Oxbridge
    2. LSE
    3. Imperial (debatable between UCL)
    4. UCL
    5. Warwick

At the end of the day once you are a part of one of the unis above it is down to you as a person whether you get in. I would say a good way to break in is do a BO internship and at the end request a switch to a different service line. I recently interned at RBS and many people did that and managed to get ACs for FO even though they were from non target unis....
    Im sorry please look at bank recruitment of graduates, youll see LSE is DOMINANT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Imperial's business school is mediocre, you can't even do an undergrad course there. Why would it influence undergrad rankings?

What are these rankings you are talking about anyway? I've never really cared for uni rankings biased towards unis where the students are 'satisfied'. The fact that we are above you in these means absolutely nothing. Imperial is a better uni because it has higher entry requirements, Imperial grads have higher employment rates, higher average salaries, it's much tougher to get a 2:1 at Imperial etc. etc.

You probably do have more grads going into FO roles, because UCL has more students. You'd have to compare success rates for students from each uni applying for positions, but I don't think the data exists.
    Their business school is mediocre?! What a joke.
    IC Business school is VERY recognised, and obv consistently 3rd in the league tables just below oxbridge, ahead of uni's like warwick for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Imperial's business school is mediocre, you can't even do an undergrad course there. Why would it influence undergrad rankings?

What are these rankings you are talking about anyway? I've never really cared for uni rankings biased towards unis where the students are 'satisfied'. The fact that we are above you in these means absolutely nothing. Imperial is a better uni because it has higher entry requirements, Imperial grads have higher employment rates, higher average salaries, it's much tougher to get a 2:1 at Imperial etc. etc.

You probably do have more grads going into FO roles, because UCL has more students. You'd have to compare success rates for students from each uni applying for positions, but I don't think the data exists.
    IC business school is very well respected...

also UCL have ahuge number of economics undergrads , IC dont...

ReputationRep:
    Let's set the record straight here. Different banks favour different universities based on their own subjective taste.

What can be objectively discussed is the number of grads from each university that get into FO . If you look at statistics for intern/grad classes over the past 3 years you find that across the board LSE has the highest number of interns/grads in FO, simply because pretty much everyone at LSE applies to banking, which is why its aptly named the "nursery for bankers".

Then, most interns will be from Oxford or Cambridge. In terms of the number of grads/interns in FO Warwick and UCL are roughly equal. Imperial grads are the least common, but that's no reflection on the university. I surmise it's simply because of its size relative to the other targets, and being a university famed for its prowess in the hard sciences I assume most grads go into careers related to the sciences (engineering, medicine, software development etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Which is why you think it is potentially wise for someone to blow away four years or more on further academic study?

Awful.
    Its one of those things that takes 3 years of university study to realize

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singh316)
    I very much doubt u have higher entry requirements, UCL are widely known to have the hardest entry requirements for the last few years.
    The most ridiculous comment I've ever seen posted in this forum.

(Original post by acies)
      Its one of those things that takes 3 years of university study to realize
      I thought my five weeks worth was far too long.

ReputationRep:
      If only there was a degree designed just for bankers that lasted a year.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by epc)
      If only there was a degree designed just for bankers that lasted a year.
      http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/co...finance_top_up

[/sarcasm]

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by whiplash)
      Quant roles are typically associate entry and you need a Ph. D., although some will look at you with a strong stats/maths masters. Google for options pricing, random variables, stochastic calculus, advanced probability brainteasers and get cosy.
      Thanks for the info. This quant stuff looks very interesting to me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by eivoquraf)
      Loads of IBs recruit around London as well I think. So they're bound to recruit people from London South Bank, London Met and East London.
      Flawless logic.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by agolati)
      Im sorry please look at bank recruitment of graduates, youll see LSE is DOMINANT.
      you are one sad individual indeed.

ReputationRep:
      I went to ARU - graduated with a 1st in business economics in 2010. Worked as an analyst for Lockheed Martin. Got an internship at a boutique IB (doing middle market M&A). Now getting MBA in the USA at Georgetown in DC. Going to Chicago in the summer to intern with William Blair (a top middle market investment bank).

You can do it! Just takes a lot of work!
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bharvey1011)
      I went to ARU - graduated with a 1st in business economics in 2010. Worked as an analyst for Lockheed Martin. Got an internship at a boutique IB (doing middle market M&A). Now getting MBA in the USA at Georgetown in DC. Going to Chicago in the summer to intern with William Blair (a top middle market investment bank).

You can do it! Just takes a lot of work!
      I mean a top mba has always been a solid second chance at breaking in..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Princepieman)
      I mean a top mba has always been a solid second chance at breaking in..

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Agreed, but I had interned at a boutique prior to my MBA.

ReputationRep:
      What about graduating with a first and doing a masters at a better Uni with more of a chance of a job in an IB?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JustPadz)
      What about graduating with a first and doing a masters at a better Uni with more of a chance of a job in an IB?
      a route which a lot of people do take.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JustPadz)
      Many VPs and MDs at BBs and EBs seem to have taken this route. At least that is what I've managed to find out thanks to LinkedIn.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wienerwald)
      Many VPs and MDs at BBs and EBs seem to have taken this route. At least that is what I've managed to find out thanks to LinkedIn.
      Sorry but whats a md a bb and an eb ?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.