Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't lose weight, need ideas please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Right, well I'm not hugely overweight, but I'm not entirely happy with how I look, and I have several friends who've lost weight and look really great. When I started uni I lost a lot of weight, but over the summer after my first year i put some back on. I tried dieting again starting my second year, but I can't seem to shift it I cycle for nearly an hour every day, and walk a lot , so it's not like I hardly get any exercise, I eat well too

I'm home for christmas at the moment, and really would like to lose weight, and fairly quick since I'm so fedup with not being able to lose it, and I know it's possible because I've seen people do it, but I can't really control my diet at home as I eat what I'm given, which in fairness is usually pretty healthy anyway! I don't tend to snack or eat huge meals or too much crap when I'm home, but nothing seems to help

Any ideas that are defo gonna work, or experience?
    OP, sounds silly, but when you just don't have your weight on your mind, you lose healthy weight. I used to try stupid stupid diets. But then I just accepted the way I was, and made lifestyle changes not because I wanted to lose weight, but because I wanted to feel more alert, and less sluggish, more alive in myself. I just didn't want horrible food anymore, I started finding pleasure in cooking, I was the only one in my flat who made proper homemade meals everynight because I thought it was really important to eat non -processed home food , recipes my mum used throughout my life. And I've lost over a stone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Right, well I'm not hugely overweight, but I'm not entirely happy with how I look, and I have several friends who've lost weight and look really great. When I started uni I lost a lot of weight, but over the summer after my first year i put some back on. I tried dieting again starting my second year, but I can't seem to shift it I cycle for nearly an hour every day, and walk a lot , so it's not like I hardly get any exercise, I eat well too

I'm home for christmas at the moment, and really would like to lose weight, and fairly quick since I'm so fedup with not being able to lose it, and I know it's possible because I've seen people do it, but I can't really control my diet at home as I eat what I'm given, which in fairness is usually pretty healthy anyway! I don't tend to snack or eat huge meals or too much crap when I'm home, but nothing seems to help

Any ideas that are defo gonna work, or experience?
    There is no fast and easy way, and if someone thinks they have one..they dont.

advice..eat everything you normally eat, but eat 3/4 or 1/2 of what you desire.
    sounds obvious, but who actually does it?
    And if your cycling for 'nearly' an hour..it should be an hour hardcore lol. only people with determination succeed.

Eat food with lots of fibre..makes you feel full (branflakes cereal)

(Original post by insignificant)
    OP, sounds silly, but when you just don't have your weight on your mind, you lose healthy weight. I used to try stupid stupid diets. But then I just accepted the way I was, and made lifestyle changes not because I wanted to lose weight, but because I wanted to feel more alert, and less sluggish, more alive in myself. I just didn't want horrible food anymore, I started finding pleasure in cooking, I was the only one in my flat who made proper homemade meals everynight because I thought it was really important to eat non -processed home food , recipes my mum used throughout my life. And I've lost over a stone
    yeah that's how i lost weight last year in my first year at uni. i found that i actually enjoyed cooking, and could cook so i lost quite a lot of weight, which i'm actually surprised at now i've looked at the photos, i barely noticed at the time! i went home over the summer where obvs i was just cooked for and fed, and put some back on. was thinking at uni the same thing might happen again, since i pretty much cook every day! but it hasnt haha. might be something to do with the fact i cook for my boyfriend every day and he's quite fussy, but then i still try and cook as healthily as possible, and nice food too! the portions tend to be a little large, which i'm aware of, it's my cookbooks fault, the helpings tend to turn out huge haha! but definitely gonna try the diet book i found due to all the good reviews. no point in NOT trying, then i'll never get anywhere! since the not thinking about it and losing weight automatically seems to have run it's course haha. if it doesn't work, i'll just have to make an extra effort every day and hope it goes :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Eat wholewheat/wholemeal foods, they make you feel fuller for longer. Don't cut carbs completly unless you just want a short term solution. Your body needs carbs.

Eat plenty of veg, fruit, lean meat and fish.

Do moderate exercise (running, swimming) for at least an hour three times a week.

ReputationRep:
    You might be losing weight really slowly because you're already at your set/healthy/perfect weight already if you're a size 10-12

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.