Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Haha, yeah I know. Hearing that it results in smaller babies? I thought it was just common knowledge...but heres a source if its helps.
    noooooo lol I know it results in smaller babies, I meant hearing that people do it to *have* a smaller baby!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibobs)
    noooooo lol I know it results in smaller babies, I meant hearing that people do it to *have* a smaller baby!
    Lol yeah, I only clicked that after I posted up some links about this a while back as well.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .meh.)
    Not everyone of course, but say a woman. She thinks herself attractive, or thinks that stretch marks would be aesthetically detrimental. It's not that farfetched, especially with more and more people considering abortions than say 20 years ago. A typically vain girl, who likes her body and the baby was the product of a one night stand... I mean it's not like the baby's going to grow in a loving family here..
    well that's a heck of an assumption to make there. How do you know the result of a one night stand to a vain girl isn't going to grow up into a loving family? That's a sweeping generalisation to say the least.
    I agree though that there may well be a few people out there who smoke for this reason but I still doubt it's one of the main reasons
    And actually while I'm thinking about it, OP my mum had 3 kids and smoked a little with first and quite a bit with the other 2. My bro was born 6 weeks early and had to stay in SCBU, my sis was almost born 6 weeks early (my mum had a partial placental haemmorhage I believe) but was kept on bed rest and given drugs and she made it to 36 weeks. My sis was perfectly healthy at birth and still is. I was born at 37 weeks and have asthma, but again can't say it's related to smoking or not. You can't say everyone who smokes kid will have asthma, or is the cause of every child whose mum smoked asthma but there is obviously a link there somewhere. We were all small (premature though so would be) and my bro was in scbu cos of being born so early and it was in the 70s so things were different then with preemie baby care.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibobs)
    It has no bearing on their mothering skills. The people I knwo who smoked while pregnant are all good mothers. It does bewilder me a bit when people won't smoke around their kids. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing but it seems a bit weird when the whole time they were growing inside them the only oxygen supply they were receiving was contaminated with smoke because they smoked while pregnant but the idea of smoking around them when the child is born is a no no. Strange!
    How do you know it has no bearing on their mothering skills? I wonder if there have been any studies done on it.

I've seen many people smoking around their kids, don't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenii)
    I agree it's pretty selfish and irresponsible, but I do think for some reason it seems to get noticed a lot more than other things pregnant people do. Obesity for instance can also cause problems with pregnancy and alleviated risk of stillbirth yet I've never heard anyone say "I saw this really fat, pregnant girl eating a massive pasty and it made me feel really angry". Perhaps that's just because it's hard to tell if obese people are pregnant though :s. Not sure about the effects on the foetus but also things like working in a stressful job until a late stage in pregnancy might have an impact.
    I think this is a really good point. Argueable, its easier to quit smoking than it is to lose weight but also....being fat is debateable something that happened gradually, that that person chose to do, if they wanted to get pregnant, perhaps they should have adressed their weight problem before doing so. I smoke, thats my choice, I accept that its probably a bad choice but when it comes to conceiving I would quit straight away.

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl, who is pregnant and smokes. I asked her why does she do that and she said that her gynecologist told her that it would be better if she smoked through pregnancy, because the little baby is already addicted to nicotine and it could be even worse if she didn't smoke at all. So she has to give him his 'daily dose'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    How do you know it has no bearing on their mothering skills? I wonder if there have been any studies done on it.

I've seen many people smoking around their kids, don't worry about that.
    There are no studies on it as far as I know. I dare say if research was done there would be crap mothers who smoked while pregnant. Crap mothers who didn't too. Crap mothering isn't based on someone's choices in pregnancy but the way they behave once the child is born and smoking doesn't make you a bad mother. YOu can provide everything for your child, work as hard as you possibly can and give your child everything..and smoke. It's not a link. Crap mothers are in every walk of life smoking does not a bad mother make. A lot of people change a lot once a child is born, while you're pregnant you're a mother to be, the full motherhood thing doesn't hit most people until they're handed their baby and told "there you go, this is yours to care for now for the rest of your life, enjoy" sort of thing.
    Oh, I've seen plenty smoke around their kids too, I'm saying I find it odd the ones who don't, not that none of them do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Probably.
    Although, having just suffered a miscarriage despite not smoking or drinking, and despite eating well, I give up trying to work out what's good or bad.
    Sorry to hear that Try to not to worry or blame yourselves miscarriages are extremely common (1 in4 pregnancies end this way) they just happen even if you do everything 'right' and nothing could change that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Yeah, but the difference with cancer patients etc is 1) they didn't choose to be in that condition and 2) they arn't effecting anyone else by smoking.
    Huh? Lung cancer patients don't choose to be in that position? All smokers choose to buy ****, light them, inhale them, knowing that it's killing them albeit slowly and all smokers are affecting people by smoking: the ill effects of passive smoking and tertiary smoke is totally underestimated.
    What I'm actually getting at is, how can you expect all pregnant women to stop smoking when you have people dying because they smoke and won't quit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJay91)
    I know a girl, who is pregnant and smokes. I asked her why does she do that and she said that her gynecologist told her that it would be better if she smoked through pregnancy, because the little baby is already addicted to nicotine and it could be even worse if she didn't smoke at all. So she has to give him his 'daily dose'.
    Wow, she could claim damages for medical negligence...**** aren't crack, it won't distress the baby- any doctor would advise her to quit at any stage of pregnancy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.