Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Andy Grey says that Messi couldn't cope in the EPL Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    So which do you think is the league with the more quality then?
    Do you mean which league has better teams? Because if you want a league where there's a greater tendency for teams to play collected, possession football with greater technical ability, then obviously Spanish (but it's not as common as I first thought). Quality is an odd term, because i suspect Brasileiro Série A has more "quality" football than the EPL but there's no doubt that the EPL has better teams. Quality does not equate to being a better team.

ReputationRep:
    Messi is a ****ing joke. I don't understand why people find it so hard to stop a midget running in straight lines. Oh is that steroids I hear you say. Yes the little tit has been smacked of his own tits for years now. 'Growth hormones' my arse. The little beaut just needed his fix so Barca thought lets make the sub human little ***** taller so he will be accepted by humans rather than being some sort of ****ing Gollum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Agreed, at least then I can turn him off at will.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I wouldn't go as far as saying Messi couldn't cope in the EPL but he would probably struggle at stadiums like The Brit on a cold night. Seen Barca's CL away form in the last two seasons or two? Almost unbelievable.
    Seen Messi's CL away performances? Funny that you pick the games where he is playing head and shoulders to the rest of the team and he's scored more than 50% of those away goals. Nothing to be sniffed at all, how is it different from other players?

ReputationRep:
    EPL is inferior to La Liga.Teams like Hercules have players like Trezeguet,Drenthe and Haedo Valdez.Blackpool have Charlie Adam and DJ Campbell. I know who I'd prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    EPL is inferior to La Liga.Teams like Hercules have players like Trezeguet,Drenthe and Haedo Valdez.Blackpool have Charlie Adam and DJ Campbell. I know who I'd prefer.
    But then ol' Gavin would counter that Everton have Baines, Jagielka, Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, while Racing have....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    Seen Messi's CL away performances? Funny that you pick the games where he is playing head and shoulders to the rest of the team and he's scored more than 50% of those away goals. Nothing to be sniffed at all, how is it different from other players?
    I haven't see all Messi's CL away performances, I admit, I have seen a few though. Messi is part of these teams that go away and draw just about everywhere so he can't be separated from the results. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't score as many goals away from home in the CL as at home (obvs), probably much less? As we all know, Stoke test you in very different ways. Surely you agree that a similar Spanish side wouldn't give Messi as good a test as Stoke?

ReputationRep:
    Messi would cope in the EPL, I reckon, but he would definitely have to adapt to do it - and well, it could go wrong.
    We'd expect him to do well bt it's not like he'd play like ridiculously well every game - I think we can all remember there are plenty of games where Ronaldo didn't really turn up. Ronaldo worked for us at Man Utd because he could have a really crap game yet knock one or two in out of nowhere against the lower and mid-table teams.
    I don't think Messi would rip all the teams apart, but he'd do well enough. It'd just be different, in terms of how well he plays in games as well as how he fits into teams and how those teams play.

And I think suggesting that Messi might not play all that well 'on a cold night at the Britannia' is a very valid claim; it's not clear cut or anything but I think we can all see it happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    But then ol' Gavin would counter that Everton have Baines, Jagielka, Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, while Racing have....?
    Lets be honest here Everton are a solid top 8 side in the Premier League,you could perhaps compare them with the likes of Villareal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I haven't see all Messi's CL away performances, I admit, I have seen a few though. Messi is part of these teams that go away and draw just about everywhere so he can't be separated from the results. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't score as many goals away from home in the CL as at home (obvs), probably much less? As we all know, Stoke test you in very different ways. Surely you agree that a similar Spanish side wouldn't give Messi as good a test as Stoke?
    Espanyol are probably the most physical La Liga side along with Bilbao, yet Messi always performs against them. He gets kicked everywhere La Liga, CL you name it. Remember the systemic fouling by Madrid two years ago? He got fouled like crazy but carried on as normal and scored a goal. I mean EPL players don't kick harder, a kick is a kick and his balance and agility makes it difficult to throw him away from the ball and I sincerely believe Stoke wouldn't be able to muster the attacking prowess of Barcelona, we would simply play them off the park.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it is an outright joke that Stoke would be able to match Barca in a match of any sort.No team can deal with their players leg being hacked off and that is the Stoke way of playing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo-Amin)
    Messi would cope in the EPL, I reckon, but he would definitely have to adapt to do it - and well, it could go wrong.
    We'd expect him to do well bt it's not like he'd play like ridiculously well every game - I think we can all remember there are plenty of games where Ronaldo didn't really turn up. Ronaldo worked for us at Man Utd because he could have a really crap game yet knock one or two in out of nowhere against the lower and mid-table teams.
    I don't think Messi would rip all the teams apart, but he'd do well enough. It'd just be different, in terms of how well he plays in games as well as how he fits into teams and how those teams play.

And I think suggesting that Messi might not play all that well 'on a cold night at the Britannia' is a very valid claim; it's not clear cut or anything but I think we can all see it happening.
    LMAO, no it's not. That's the whole point of this absurdity. I suppose you never get cold winter nights at the San Mames with 11 Basque players trying to kick you in the face. Sometimes literally.

By the way would Zidane, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Figo, Redondo etc. all struggle against the mighty Stoke at the Britannia in a January night? If Messi should struggle then so should the rest of the players that have played in 'sunny' Spain' (Never mind the winter weather being near identical).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    LMAO, no it's not. That's the whole point of this absurdity. I suppose you never get cold winter nights at the San Mames with 11 Basque players trying to kick you in the face. Sometimes literally.

By the way would Zidane, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Figo, Redondo etc. all struggle against the mighty Stoke at the Britannia in a January night? If Messi should struggle then so should the rest of the players that have played in 'sunny' Spain' (Never mind the winter weather being near identical).
    To be honest I've heard this a lot 'They wouldn't fancy coming to the Britannia' as if that is some sort of chilling threat towards a team.The best teams are the best for a reason and it doesn't matter whether they play on the local park or Bernabeu.

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest here Everton are a solid top 8 side in the Premier League,you could perhaps compare them with the likes of Villareal.
    Lol, I intentionally used that comparison because they're in equivalent positions in the table. I initially used Levante but I anticipated that response so I changed the team deliberately. Everton are 14th (but will probably finish 8/9th), Villareal are 3rd and are likely to finish top 4.

Take a look at the teams in the bottom third of La Liga; 13th-20th approx. Now look at the corresponding EPL teams. To me it's clear but if you want some sort of analysis, it's quite easy to see that the variance within the EPL is lower than that of La Liga; that's one of the ways I mentioned it's possible to gauge how competitive a league is. Not that surprising either; look at the teams 13-20th; quite a few of them have taken points off United and Chelsea [14-18], and United edged past Stoke and Wolves as well. It happens every season, but then maybe you'd argue that it's because United and Chelsea are poor.

It's very difficult to compare teams from the bottom halves of different leagues, because you can rarely use direct comparisons between teams and using stats from European competitions isn't a good measure. So the only real way you can gauge them is by looking at the variance within a league. I think most people would agree that watching a good English team v a poor English team is closer than watching a good Spanish team v a poor Spanish team. Comparing the poor teams from different though.

If you still disagree with that, the main reason I didn't get your post is because you picked the one bottom half Spanish team which made any signings that people would have heard of, and specifically mentioned the three players who are actually known!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Lol, I intentionally used that comparison because they're in equivalent positions in the table. I initially used Levante but I anticipated that response so I changed the team deliberately. Everton are 14th (but will probably finish 8/9th), Villareal are 3rd and are likely to finish top 4.

Take a look at the teams in the bottom third of La Liga; 13th-20th approx. Now look at the corresponding EPL teams. To me it's clear but if you want some sort of analysis, it's quite easy to see that the variance within the EPL is lower than that of La Liga; that's one of the ways I mentioned it's possible to gauge how competitive a league is. Not that surprising either; look at the teams 13-20th; quite a few of them have taken points off United and Chelsea [14-18], and United edged past Stoke and Wolves as well. It happens every season, but then maybe you'd argue that it's because United and Chelsea are poor.

It's very difficult to compare teams from the bottom halves of different leagues, because you can rarely use direct comparisons between teams and using stats from European competitions isn't a good measure. So the only real way you can gauge them is by looking at the variance within a league. I think most people would agree that watching a good English team v a poor English team is closer than watching a good Spanish team v a poor Spanish team. Comparing the poor teams from different though.

If you still disagree with that, the main reason I didn't get your post is because you picked the one bottom half Spanish team which made any signings that people would have heard of, and specifically mentioned the three players who are actually known!
    I understand where you are coming from but there are mid-table teams in La Liga like Deportivo which have some notable players.I would say that the lower league teams in are taking more points is the fact that they top teams are poorer.I don't think the Chelsea team (04-05) would have lost to Birmingham or Sunderland.

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you are coming from but there are mid-table teams in La Liga like Deportivo which have some notable players.I would say that the lower league teams in are taking more points is the fact that they top teams are poorer.I don't think the Chelsea team (04-05) would have lost to Birmingham or Sunderland.
    Do they? Who else apart from Guardado?

Not the best example though because that was the same season Chelsea beat Barca over two legs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Do they? I can't think of any apart from Guardado?

Strangely enough that was the same season Chelsea beat Barca over two legs?
    Sorry Malaga rather.
    Yes it was.That Chelsea team was one of the best teams for a few good years.But I just feel that the Premier League is currently not as good as La Liga both technically and strength of teams.But these things go in phases about 10 years ago Serie A was at the top.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Malaga rather.

Last season I thought they were quite a dirty team and very mediocre, I'm guessing that's changing now that Pellegrini is in, but I still don't think there are many notable players? I think Demichelis is coming in, I can't think of anyone really? I've vaguely heard of Eliseu because he's good but that's it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)

Last season I thought they were quite a dirty team and very mediocre, I'm guessing that's changing now that Pellegrini is in, but I still don't think there are many notable players? I think Demichelis is coming in, I can't think of anyone really? I've vaguely heard of Eliseu because he's good but that's it?
    Albert Luque( has lost his way since Newcastle),Baha,Eliseu,Quincy,Du da,Juanito,Apono(pretty good but no household name) and Maresca and Demichelis have just come in recently.

ReputationRep:
    But I just feel that the Premier League is currently not as good as La Liga both technically and strength of teams.But these things go in phases about 10 years ago Serie A was at the top.
    Sorry, only just saw this edit.

I get the feeling that people say this simply because Barcelona are by far the best team in the world right now and Real are probably in the top 3 as well and then proceed to extrapolate this to other Spanish teams.

I've tried not to use my personal judgements on the teams because 1) nobody seems to care about subjective opinions on this forum and 2) I only really watch poorer Spanish teams when they play Barca / Real Madrid and so they'll tend to play in a different way, thus making comparisons a bit skewed; which is why I've tried to purely use objective measures and comparisons. But if we're going for feelings, I just feel strongly that "poorer" English teams look a lot better than poorer Spanish teams when playing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.