The Student Room Group

PPE or PPS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by milkytea
That's fair enough. I guess it's slightly different for PPE as there are a lot more PPE courses available.

You'd be surprised. As the head of the PPE programme at Balliol told me on an open day, they don't mind if your personal statement only deals with 2 out of 3 disciplines in any great depth (I think it's probably best to at least mention all three!). Tutors understand that many courses contain only two of the elements of PPE, but more than that, as this guy said, they don't actually mind if you're only really good at/interested in two out of three topics. He said, for example, that they get a lot of candidates who are instantly identified as Political Economists, with much less aptitude for philosophy. However, that's not a problem, as after the first year most PPEists drop one of the branches (a tripartite degree is possible, but has a higher workload owing to fewer links between the modules taken).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Crassus
You'd be surprised. As the head of the PPE programme at Balliol told me on an open day, they don't mind if your personal statement only deals with 2 out of 3 disciplines in any great depth (I think it's probably best to at least mention all three!). Tutors understand that many courses contain only two of the elements of PPE, but more than that, as this guy said, they don't actually mind if you're only really good at/interested in two out of three topics. He said, for example, that they get a lot of candidates who are instantly identified as Political Economists, with much less aptitude for philosophy. However, that's not a problem, as after the first year most PPEists drop one of the branches (a tripartite degree is possible, but has a higher workload owing to fewer links between the modules taken).

Thanks for your information.

The guy at my college doesn't know what he's on about haha
Original post by Crassus

******...he was possibly the most awesome fellow I met in my entire time visiting. Too bad it is very unlikely I'll be headed to Balliol :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by cheese-lemming
I've always wanted to study Politics but always with something else?
I have also had my heart set on Oxbridge for a while, but never decided which of the two... Both of the PPE and PPS courses would interest me but I want to know which one people think is better?

People who've done PPS, is the Psychology element quite sciencey, as I don't intend to take any Science A Levels and would that put me at a disadvantage? That's my only real question.....

Yeah, long question really... what do you guys think???

I have applied for PPS and I haven't done any science A levels unless you count Psychology, they say that subject choice doesn't influence if they let you in or not. I've been interviewed and in the pool which is super stressful, the trouble is that although they are both competitive, PSS has soo many applicants per place. Although for me it was the perfect course so I applied anyway, but I guess it just depends what your interests outside of politics are.
Do you foresee yourself running for Prime Minister?
Reply 65
Yes m8 why?
This is my favourite thread on TSR. A very wise man with much life experience absolutely destroying an irritating and truly thick mod that most people on this site secretly hate.

See Cragy, anybody can put their text in annoying ****ing colours. It doesn't make you special, it just makes you an annoying cow.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah, screw actual statistics and so on, "wise" men "with much [supposed] life experience" are what we need, and God forbid anyone should use colours in their text :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending