Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[COMPETITION] When will the IPcalypse happen? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Ok, I have a question. Where are the ip addresses going? Who are they being allocated to?

Over 1million ip addresses in 1 hour. The hell?
    I blame Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I have a question. Where are the ip addresses going? Who are they being allocated to?

Over 1million ip addresses in 1 hour. The hell?
    At a guess, large telcos, anticipating the depletion.

ReputationRep:
    i think when the pool of allocatable IP's gets low enough the rate of depletion will drop dramatically.

i'm betting we'll last out to March First.

ReputationRep:
    IANA's just allocated over 10 million IP's.

56 million to go... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    I blame Amazon.
    What have they done now. Tsk tsk.
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)

I remember reading somewhere (was it you who posted it?) that IANA was unlikely to accept speculative ip address block purchases.
    Seems like that has changed in a big way. 10 MILLION IN ONE SHOT!!!

ReputationRep:

I thought the prediction was ~November time...

Aren't they only testing out ipv6 publicly on June 8th with Amazon, Google etc...seems like they're stupidly late no?

ReputationRep:
    What have they done now. Tsk tsk.

I remember reading somewhere (was it you who posted it?) that IANA was unlikely to accept speculative ip address block purchases.
    Seems like that has changed in a big way. 10 MILLION IN ONE SHOT!!!
    Indeed. That said, I bet big telcos have been hanging back, trying to wait until the last minute before taking the most compelling case they can muster to IANA, possibly in some attempt to wrong-foot their competitors by bringing about IPv4 depletion faster than anticipated. After all, nobody wants to be in the position where they can no longer get an IPv4 address range.

Either that or they've just processed a hell of a lot of requests for IP's in the last hour... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I thought the prediction was ~November time...

Aren't they only testing out ipv6 publicly on June 8th with Amazon, Google etc...seems like they're stupidly late no?
    Unless IANA start stripping the likes of the US DoD of their /8 blocks, it looks like we'll hit ARPAgeddon by the end of the month.

And yes, Amazon, Google etc. really are leaving it far too late, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Unless IANA start stripping the likes of the US DoD of their /8 blocks, it looks like we'll hit ARPAgeddon by the end of the month.

And yes, Amazon, Google etc. really are leaving it far too late, IMO.
    I dunno, if I was amazon/google I would probably be doing the same.
    Reasoning: I have many redundant servers for load balancing and hence many ip addresses that can be shifted around and reallocated as and when they're actually needed by external hosts.
    E.g: my guess would be that google has a few servers which actually serve up the search pages for google.co.uk but a larger number of load balanced servers that actually perform the searches on google's index. Those load balanced servers don't need ipv4 addresses because google can do all the necessary internal testing itself. Ditto with gmail backend servers.
    This way the rest of the world can fall over itself for a few months, then they learn from all the mistakes and swoop in perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, if I was amazon/google I would probably be doing the same.
    Reasoning: I have many redundant servers for load balancing and hence many ip addresses that can be shifted around and reallocated as and when they're actually needed by external hosts.
    E.g: my guess would be that google has a few servers which actually serve up the search pages for google.co.uk but a larger number of load balanced servers that actually perform the searches on google's index. Those load balanced servers don't need ipv4 addresses because google can do all the necessary internal testing itself. Ditto with gmail backend servers.
    This way the rest of the world can fall over itself for a few months, then they learn from all the mistakes and swoop in perfectly.
    Fair point, but you would have thought that the heavyweights of the web would have wanted to set a better example. I'm surprised by how lackadaisical some of the biggest names in the business have been with their migration to IPv6.

ReputationRep:
    24 days - Monday 17th January 2011
    How cool it would have been for the IPcalypse to have happened on my birthday.

also i bet it will be on the 9th March
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely getting close now - looks like it'll be around 5 days, with 24 million IPs left. :eek:

Failed. :sad:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Illusionary)
      It's definitely getting close now - looks like it'll be around 5 days, with 24 million IPs left. :eek:
      Bang on! :p:
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zorg)
      Bang on! :p:
      You might want to wait until we actually get there!

ReputationRep:
      Will everything just go ape **** when the last IP address goes?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Illusionary)
      You might want to wait until we actually get there!
      Nah, I'll just take my rep now and leave. Thankyoucommiserationsandgoodbye .

(Original post by RupertTheBear)
        Will everything just go ape **** when the last IP address goes?
        It's predicted that this will be the outcome:

Spoiler:
        Show
        Obviously, I jest. I think that there'll just be a mad dash to return unused addresses and mucho NATting for those who haven't already done so.

Either way, what a total mess.

ReputationRep:
        7th of next month

ReputationRep:
        My guess is today.... go IP address buying people!

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.