Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it's legal for under 14's to drink alcohol in a beer garden. So if you can find a pub that has one, technically, it would be legal for you to drink :beerglass:....

...Not that I would know anything about underage drinking :angelblush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovesJellyTots)
    Actually, it's legal for under 14's to drink alcohol in a beer garden. So if you can find a pub that has one, technically, it would be legal for you to drink :beerglass:....

...Not that I would know anything about underage drinking :angelblush:
    I think that's changed to 16 now, but I may, as ever, be wrong.

Also it's way too darn cold to drink outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    I find the idea of us all sitting alone in licensed premises across the nation, in a corner on our laptops with a book by our side and a pint to hand, using the free wifi for student room book discussion quite appealing.
    I'm sadly a minor too.. but I'm thinking james has the right idea :mob:

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. The minors will have to stick to non-alcoholic beverages, but we all know that's no fun

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas everyone! I see that Heart of Darkness is still in the lead. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

(Original post by draconia_93)
      Merry Christmas everyone! I see that Heart of Darkness is still in the lead. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
      :ditto: I'm beginning to look forward to this now. :

ReputationRep:
      :ahee: so what books did everyone else get for Crimbo?

Paradise Lost and Inferno for me I think my parents were trying to tell me something

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by spacepirate-James)
      :ahee: so what books did everyone else get for Crimbo?

Paradise Lost and Inferno for me I think my parents were trying to tell me something
      I got The Devil's Advocate (A book about advocacy in court), Letters To A Law Student, Epictetus' Discourses and Enchiridion, The Broons and Oor Wullie, and I intend to buy Heart of Darkness.

ReputationRep:
      I got The Time Traveller's Wife :awesome: Already have the book, but in German, so I'm quite looking forward to reading the English version :teeth: Shall be heading out to the january sales though and getting some more books :ninja:

ReputationRep:
      Oh my God, can you believe it's boxing day already

So did we all have a lovely Christmas, Book Clubbers? The only thing I desperately wanted for Christmas - and tried not to hint too much about - was Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars. So looks like I will be bargain book shopping in the new year! Not that I haven't already got about 14 books yet to read on my shelf but hey.

Come on Hearts of Darkness

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by micky022)
      I got The Devil's Advocate (A book about advocacy in court), Letters To A Law Student, Epictetus' Discourses and Enchiridion, The Broons and Oor Wullie, and I intend to buy Heart of Darkness.
      Letters to a Law Student is something I wish I'd read before I applied. I recommend it.

I got The Now Show's Book of World Records, Milton Jones' book, lots of textbooks, The Lost Diaries by Craig Brown, a Rumpole book and some others too. Not a lot of fiction this year.

ReputationRep:
      Letters to a Law Student is something I wish I'd read before I applied. I recommend it.

I got The Now Show's Book of World Records, Milton Jones' book, lots of textbooks, The Lost Diaries by Craig Brown, a Rumpole book and some others too. Not a lot of fiction this year.
      It's a fantastic book, although I can only really use the latter two parts of it since I've already applied and had offers.

ReputationRep:
      Definitely have a long list of books to buy this January, so sale shopping it is. Lovely :rolleyes:.

Also got The Time Traveller's Wife, which will be left unread on my bookshelf until Heart of Darkness has been finished

ReputationRep:
      we reached 30 members!

hurrah :party:

gonna read a chapter of Ulysses tonight. or try.

EDIT: I think we should play some sort of game.

ReputationRep:
      we reached 30 members!

I'm bored. What sort of game?

I'm meant to read that over Christmas, I don't really want to. Is there a film?

ReputationRep:
      we reached 30 members!

Oh good luck with that I gave up on Ulysses after a few pages.

ReputationRep:
      I'm bored. What sort of game?

I'm meant to read that over Christmas, I don't really want to. Is there a film?
      Sigh. Pretending you've read the books after watching the film :ahee: Unfortunately no. Considering most of it is SOC/interior monologue...

But you should totally read it. It's hypnotic.

Rock Paper Scissors?
      Guess the First Line?
      20 Questions?
      Monopoly?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
      Oh my God, can you believe it's boxing day already

So did we all have a lovely Christmas, Book Clubbers? The only thing I desperately wanted for Christmas - and tried not to hint too much about - was Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars. So looks like I will be bargain book shopping in the new year! Not that I haven't already got about 14 books yet to read on my shelf but hey.

Come on Hearts of Darkness
      Haha, tell me about it.

I voted for A Thousand Splendid Suns simply because it's one of the 'unreads' on my shelf atm.
      But I've just read a short intro on Hearts of Darkness, sounds awesome!

ReputationRep:
      Sigh. Pretending you've read the books after watching the film :ahee: Unfortunately no. Considering most of it is SOC/interior monologue...

But you should totally read it. It's hypnotic.

Rock Paper Scissors?
      Guess the First Line?
      20 Questions?
      Monopoly?
      I suppose, I didn't think there would be one. With every passing day I am more convinced that English really isn't the degree for me. *sigh*

How do you play monopoly over the internet? Or for that matter, Rock Paper Scissors? Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
      I suppose, I didn't think there would be one. With every passing day I am more convinced that English really isn't the degree for me. *sigh*

How do you play monopoly over the internet? Or for that matter, Rock Paper Scissors? Am I missing something?
      I've always wondered what a degree in english is like? Where are you studying it, and what's it like.

Simples. We both post in our spoiler and ........ oh i dunno. :emo:

ROCK.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.