Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People more celebrate Christmas because its a time of joy and happiness than for religious purposes

ReputationRep:
    BECAUSE I BELIEVE in commercial festivals.

ReputationRep:
    My attitude towards Christmas is the same as my attitude towards religion. Although I do not believe it's origin story, I acknowledge that some of the values it promotes are good and are worth celebrating.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's traditional...and people like traditional stuff. That's the best answer I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    Yet another one of these stupid threads which makes me scream.

The day was originally for celebrating pagan festivals/winter solstice. There's no definitive proof that Jesus was born on that day, thus making it a 'Christian' celebration a bit void really. It's just become Christian over time, but there's no reason why people of any belief can't celebrate it.

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks holiday. Why not?

ReputationRep:
    Because its awesome =]

ReputationRep:
    For ****s and giggles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Locke)
    Regardless of why you celebrate it, it's still a nice time for giving and receiving.
    :sexface:

On topic: Why do christians celebrate yule the pagan festival under the pseudonym christmas?

C'mon we're all human and we all (that is atheists and christians) do it for similar reasons, we like christmas, we like spending time with the family, we like the presents and the food and it's a public holiday. Some people, religious or not, may put some thought into the tidings of others but we should be doing that all year round anyway right?

And if you're a christian and you're telling yourself your motivations are religious (rather than cultural/enjoyment etc) I would like to see mention of Christmas in the Bible. No hate intended, but it isn't Jesus' birthday tomorrow, and accepting that doesn't make you a bad christian, it just makes you a wiser one.

And it's a nice time for giving and receiving :mmm:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.