Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How is this racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niall c)
    No provocation was noted by the OP. The OP is giving an account of events that they have interpreted as being due to racism; other details, that may explain the men's reaction for a host of other reasonable or unreasonable causes, will thus have been excluded. This is how human storytelling works.

Nevertheless, despite the fact that the account is based on the assumption that it was racist, it provides no evidence whatsoever for racism on the men's part beyond the fact that they were white and s/he was Asian. Given they claim to have had a five minute conversation with the people, one would have thought that something indicating racism or the reason for their harassment would be available.

In short, we have an incomplete account that provides no evidence whatsoever as to why the men acted as they did. Perhaps they find it funny to wind up every passing car (have you people not seen The Inbetweeners?!), whoever the driver is. Perhaps the OP, whose account sounds as if written by a female (explicit reference to 'white male' by them) is a girl, in which case they may have been sexist. Perhaps the unsubstantiated assumption that they followed the OP is wrong, and they just happened to be going the same way as him/her.

Given this, it is racist to assume that merely because they are white and the OP Asian, racism is the most likely cause. This is especially true when no evidence is provided of a racist motive, and when to do so is to make assumptions about white men - that they are more racist than sexist on average, for instance - that have no evidential basis.

Depending on your interpretation, the men's actions could be a joke or could be unpleasant harassment. However, be careful with using the word 'racist' as if that automatically makes it worse when, as a matter of fact, your assumptions are based on racial stereotypes. That does not make your assumptions wrong, or immoral; however, there is no room for double standards here. I would suggest that the persecution of vulnerable minorities might, perhaps, be a more suitable concept to condemn as evil.
    I think you're taking this thread a little too seriously :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawza)
    We are all equal man, people should stop being racist; I love all women so I can’t be a racist.
    Now that's talking sense

ReputationRep:
    Were you wearing clothes that made the seatbelt blend in?

Alternatively they were just being dicks :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyimbored)
    I think you're taking this thread a little too seriously :rolleyes:
    Guilty as charged.

ReputationRep:
    If he was asian and you were White would it still be racism?

Racism is awful, but in this situation, I highly doubt it's actual racism or if the guy was just being an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it obvious, they wanted you to take your belt off so they could crash into you

Close thread please!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.