Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hate Blackberries, I just really hate the way they look. I think they're a bit...chavvy? Now that everyone has one, it makes them look cheap. Also, I don't see the appeal of BBM. If you have unlimited texts, then I don't why you need it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Yep, I realise that for a lot of people the long term contract option is better because of cash flow. But I think they should be aware they could be paying more in the long run. Its the same with the "free gifts" you can sometimes get with contracts. You often end up spending more than what the gift is worth in increased monthly costs.
    Still not sure what a cheaper option would have been? Really and honestly I'm not going to find a cheaper (and comparable) monthly tarriff, so there would surely be no benefit to paying out for the handset?

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy with my mid-range Nokia, but if I were to get a smartphone I'd get a blackberry because I hate touch screen devices.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose a mix between BBM and the fact that they're a pretty cheap smart phone considering you can get a blackberry for about £25 a month on contract as opposed to an iPhone which can cost about £35-40 a month for a similar number of minutes etc.

Although I suppose a question I must ask is, why is it an issue if so many people do get blackberrys? I hardly see how what phone other people use in any way effects your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Still not sure what a cheaper option would have been? Really and honestly I'm not going to find a cheaper (and comparable) monthly tarriff, so there would surely be no benefit to paying out for the handset?
    If that is the case then you have a very very good deal.
    I am paying £30 a month right now. If I was on a monthly sim only contract I'd be paying £10 a month less. Thats £240 less. The tariff I am on should be £40 a month (i got a really good deal), so really I'd be paying £480 less by going on a sim only tariff for the two years. More than enough for a high end smartphone, let alone anything cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    The QWERTY keyboard makes it much easier to type.
    BBM comes built in with the phone straight out of the package. Blackberry did it first - free messages to your friends? why not?

A good reason is it's much easier to go up to a girl and say 'can i have your bbm?' as everyone has it, you can block people on it and its much more effective than asking for her number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    I basically did what WelshBluebird said above, got myself a £10 a month rolling contract with internet and texts/calls. I worked out over 24 months it works out at around £22.50 and I've now got a Samsung Galaxy S. If you can afford to pay for the handset and get a cheap contract it usually work it.

ReputationRep:
    because you get ****s on bbm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisq)
    I have a Nokia 3310. DON.
    I kind of miss the days of the 3310... All anyone cared about 10 years ago was whether their phone had snake or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eskamulia)
    I hate Blackberries, I just really hate the way they look. I think they're a bit...chavvy? Now that everyone has one, it makes them look cheap. Also, I don't see the appeal of BBM. If you have unlimited texts, then I don't why you need it...

:lolwut: really?

ReputationRep:
    smartphones are a trend, just pop culture in full display lol...

Besides, iPhones and HTCs are superior lol.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum asked me that question recently... except she called it a Blueberry

ReputationRep:
    tbh i really wanted the BB storm2 i dunno why but i really wanted it.....plus my mum pays my phone bills on t-mobile so if i decided to go for the iphone i'd have to go with o2 because at the time they were one of the few who had decent tariffs with the iphone......however i love my BB and i don't think i could trade it for the world.....

I've had this phone for almost a year and i haven't had to sent it back for any problems unlike the curve and bold that every one has, where practically every1 i know has sent theirs back for repairs or whatever...

ReputationRep:
    iphones are for nerds with no mates

posting this via blackberry while taking a dump

ReputationRep:
    Most of them deluded into thinking theres some sort of BB hype when in fact BB have been long suprassed by Android and iPhone. All Blackberries are horrifically bad phones, most people say well I get free messaging, no you don't you pay a subscription for that and pretty much every contract has unlimited texts these days, whats the point of BBM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escriba)
    Ooh; goodie for you! Add me!

Your first phone is so hilarious. I don't mean to be mean but it just is!
    what was yours?? I was "so cool " for having a phone (i was 3)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaggedspike)
    Most of them deluded into thinking theres some sort of BB hype when in fact BB have been long suprassed by Android and iPhone. All Blackberries are horrifically bad phones, most people say well I get free messaging, no you don't you pay a subscription for that and pretty much every contract has unlimited texts these days, whats the point of BBM?
    yh but what if you have people living abroad...most contracts don't include texts to people abroad...so yeah there is a point to BBM..plus its nice to see people BBM status updates and pics ...rather than just a plain text.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    because i'm sick of touch screen phones and i needed something to last me til august when i can upgrade
    think most people like it for BBM although im not sure i know what it is...

ReputationRep:
    Everybody's on a blackberry hype

ReputationRep:
    Chill oot kids!

I'm sure the lovely people at Blackberry are absolutely raging mad that they've sold so many handsets to teenagers this year. How dare they! Blackberries should be for business use and business use only!

LOL JK.

It's just a phone. Yes, it's partly a social trend. Yes, BBM is an excellent feature. They're also quite attractive handsets, cheaper than competitors, fast mobile internet, come with good contracts, etc.

If it wasn't for the fact I've had an iPhone for the last 3 years and gotten so used to it, I'd consider the switch. In fact I still may when my contract runs out September 2011.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.