Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What books did you get for Christmas? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Komakino)
    A hefty read there, certainly not a bedtime book.
    Yeah, haha. When buying it my dad could only manage to carry back the first volume. I'll probably still be reading it by next Xmas anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I got none may have to buy some to make up for that.

ReputationRep:
    Edgar Sawtelle and Catcher in the Rye, among others...

...but my favorite ones were the non-fiction offerings - I also got Sam Stern's Student Cookbook and the Wagamama Cookbook. Keeled over with happiness and hunger pangs.

ReputationRep:
    A simples life :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)
    I'm reading that now (Catch-22), it's really good!

I got:

-Catch-22.
    -One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    -A Clockwork Orange
    -American Psycho
    -Animal Farm
    -Lolita
    -Anna Karenina
    -Lord of the Flies

(I ordered them myself on Amazon )

Oh, and my mum received three books (two of which I gave her) that will all end up on my bookshelves eventually.
    Great collection - I loved 1984 (and your sig made me laugh)

I've only got one this year:
    The Interpretation of Murder by, Jed Rubenfeld. I haven't started to read it yet - maybe after exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)
    -American Psycho
    Nice!

I will warn you that it is the most graphic book I've ever read... BUT these violent descriptions are infrequent and definitely necessary. Incredible novel.

ReputationRep:
    Simone de Beauvoir - The Second Sex

782 pages of laughs. My mum's reasoning behind buying it for me was "John Lennon read it and cried"

Alright then.

ReputationRep:
    Descartes, Meditations.
    Professor Stewart's Hoard of Mathematical Treasures.
    Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics.

I got Lockwood on medical ethics, a book on nuclear war written in the Reagan age, A Man For All Seasons, a compilation of classic poetry, and Mathematics for the Million a few weeks before Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Michael McIntyre Life and Laughing - because I LOVE Michael McIntyre :love:

I also got Fantastic Mr Fox (my favourite book when I was a little girl ) and The BFG

Plus a cookbook called "Cooking for Two"

ReputationRep:
    I got a couple of travel guides and a simples life !

ReputationRep:
    A spectacular book written by none other than Aleksandr Orlov

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    i put quite a few on my list but didnt get all of them due to getting other bits i wanted, or them not being able to get hold of certain ones, i got more cd's and dvds instead this year.
    i got a place called here and p.s. i love you, both by cecelia ahern and the runaway jury by john grisham (the film is awesome so wanted to see what the book is like). i also got the royal marsden book of clinical procedures, which i need for uni. as i always keep my christmas list and have got quite a bit of money for christmas im gonna go and stock up my book collection with the ones i didnt get for christmas and ones iv wanted for a while now

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get any books for Christmas either. Now that I think about it, I can't even remember the last time I read a novel and not a textbook.

ReputationRep:
    I got Disgrace, by J. M. Coatzee. Bought it myself.

ReputationRep:
    Books?
    We need all the paper we can just to heat the house.

ReputationRep:
    I got the Godfather, 1001 books to read before you die and a cookbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I wanted A Simples Life. :emo:
    My brother bought me this...can't help but read the entire thing in a merkat accent! Simples *squeeks*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skinny-minnie)
    My brother bought me this...can't help but read the entire thing in a merkat accent! Simples *squeeks*
    It really is the work of a genius tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Only one book this year: Daniel Hannan, The Road to Serfdom: A Letter of warning to America.

ReputationRep:
    My first ever books:

The C Programming language
    C++ Primer Plus

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.