Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a First Class Degree in Physics, what do I do next? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaraxZeroIncome)
    If you have a physics degree what are you asking us for..
    Re your sig - if you are able to change it, instead of "hit it" you should have "smash it".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarron)
    i dont really know how a maths degree works as in would everyone in the country pretty much do the same topics? cos the reason the peeple i know got PhDs was cos they had done uni modules in the that area of physics... for example one guy got offered a place at york and a place at birmingham because he was the only person both places interviewed who had done any spintronics in their degree. (he went to birmingham)
    Pretty much in terms of 'core' knowledge but then there is a lot of variety in what people may do in the last year or so. This shouldn't matter too much in that many people start maths PhDs knowing next to nothing about the topic they will be working on.

ReputationRep:
    If you're hot, go to the BBC and ask for a TV show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, SpaceX hires only U.S. citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents.

SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

WHAT?!!:confused::confused:
    To stop the Ruskies stealing their Space Shu-

Oh. Right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoffman11)
    I have never known what to do with my life.

I am 24 and have a 1:1 BSc in Physics, but am stumped as to which direction to take. I chose the subject due to interest but also due to lack of direction, as I was aware the Degree can be valued in varible situations. I am not largely motivated by money.

I am more than competent socially, but am a geek at heart, and since finishing Uni I have regressed to working part time and spending the remainder practising advanced mathematics. I do have a keen interest in sound physics, but most jobs in that sector tend to be allocated on a 'who you know' rather than a 'what you know basis'.

Not quite sure what to expect in terms of a reply to this ambigous question, but it feels better just writing it down.

What about engineering? Good career prospects, exciting opportunities and a very good demand. If I had your skills/ qualifications I would design something and then engineer/ build it. Maybe sell the idea or whatever, but just enjoy designing/ making it. Damn theres so many things you could do with this qualification. Identify problems with the way things work/ operate and create an effective solution. I would love to brainstorm with you!!!!!

Maybe try to think about how you could apply all of your physics knowledge to something practical. Go it alone and invent something amazing. You have the skills.

Whatever you do, please don't go into banking. What a waste.

ReputationRep:

I am 24 and have a 1:1 BSc in Physics, but am stumped as to which direction to take. I chose the subject due to interest but also due to lack of direction, as I was aware the Degree can be valued in varible situations. I am not largely motivated by money.

I am more than competent socially, but am a geek at heart, and since finishing Uni I have regressed to working part time and spending the remainder practising advanced mathematics. I do have a keen interest in sound physics, but most jobs in that sector tend to be allocated on a 'who you know' rather than a 'what you know basis'.

Not quite sure what to expect in terms of a reply to this ambigous question, but it feels better just writing it down.

Go to california. Seriously!

All the cutting edge technology companies are there, and are gagging for young guys who are ****-hot (great) at physics! Silicon Valley's the way!

ReputationRep:
    Send your CV to CERN.

Edit: what's wrong with CERN? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I remember when i finished my degree in Mechanical engineering. Spent 6 months catching up on some pussy, did even start apply for jobs until i was well rested.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Some very useful info and advice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Some very useful info and advice.
    So what have you done with yourself since you started this thread last year?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. What have you done since you created the thread?

ReputationRep:

Wow, great. Bachelors in physics is exactly what I want to do in uni...and after that, I might do post graduate frm a well-reputed uni, n um, then teach for few years, and gain a Phd, hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't get the job at CERN I guess....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiringsoul)
    Wow, great. Bachelors in physics is exactly what I want to do in uni...and after that, I might do post graduate frm a well-reputed uni, n um, then teach for few years, and gain a Phd, hopefully.
    Better off doing an MPhys/MSci than a BSc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Fairly irrelevant fact but only Americans can work in the space sector in the USA, even private companies can't hire foreigners. :dontknow:
    You've just crushed my childhood dreams :emo: I always wanted to work for NASA :moon:

(... not that I want to these days, but still )

ReputationRep:
    You could walk into any general business or management graduate scheme with a first in physics.

Defence and power companies , general engineering companies. Plenty

try www.gradcracker.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by middlj)
    You could walk into any general business or management graduate scheme with a first in physics.

try www.gradcracker.com

I'm not sure about "walking into" them - surely they're still very competitive? Anything from 10-20% of hard science grads get a first, it's not exactly rare. They'll be looking for a lot more than just the grade, I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by middlj)

try www.gradcracker.com
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    I'm not sure about "walking into" them - surely they're still very competitive? Anything from 10-20% of hard science grads get a first, it's not exactly rare. They'll be looking for a lot more than just the grade, I reckon.
    Yeah, exactly. It also depends on your work experience and which university you graduated from. Nobody can "walk" in to a graduate job these days!

For context I'm a St Andrews physics student, just finished my third year and doing my masters next year, well on track for a first. I'm doing a few internships this summer but they were difficult to get, I got rejected by loads - and that's even some relevant work experience I have and my 'good' grades. Nothing is a certainty at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    Yes. What have you done since you created the thread?
    I'm going to imperial to do a one year masters course in physics. I've done a good bit of voluntary work this year in the local hospital and enjoyed it, so I might apply to do a grad medicine course in sept. But Im kinda happy with the idea of moving to london and doing more physics for now (also this is the last year before the cap is raised, although not sure how that affects masters courses).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.