Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kindle and other E-book readers discussion. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been considering purchasing the Kindle 3 for quite some time now. I am not an avid book reader as such but do enjoy reading. What puts me off paperbacks is that the font is small on lots of books and my eyes get strained and sore easily.

There are two things currently concerning me, or else I would have ordered it by now. I don't want to buy it now and a few months later see that there is a Kindle 4 out, and also, some books are much more expensive on the kindle than if you were to buy the paperback. But I suppose for this problem I could just purchase the paperback and sell it on.

Have you got a kindle?
    Has it made you read more?
    Is it worth it?

I am thinking of just buying the wifi one as I don't travel, and I have wifi in the house and the dictionary is built in to the kindle anyway, so I could just download books beforehand anyway.

I'd really appreciate any help! I know £100 isn't too much, but still.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a Kindle but I do have a Sony eReader. I use mine to read older classics, which are available (legally) for free from Project Gutenberg. If I want to read a more recent book I still buy a paperback/go to the library though. I definitely recommend getting a Kindle/any other ereader if you don't mind not having a physical book in your hands/not being able to read in the bath, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I got one for Xmas and at first I was a bit put off because I missed holding an actual book, but now after getting used to it I think it's much easier to read than a book because it's light and small and much more comfortable to sit with in bed. Plus the screen is really good with glare, I think it looks like a page from a book rather than a screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david89)
    I got one for Xmas and at first I was a bit put off because I missed holding an actual book, but now after getting used to it I think it's much easier to read than a book because it's light and small and much more comfortable to sit with in bed. Plus the screen is really good with glare, I think it looks like a page from a book rather than a screen.
    so would you recommend it?

Has it got you reading more and are you finding enough cheap books as some kindle books are more expensive than the paperback versions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberryswirl)
    I don't have a Kindle but I do have a Sony eReader. I use mine to read older classics, which are available (legally) for free from Project Gutenberg. If I want to read a more recent book I still buy a paperback/go to the library though. I definitely recommend getting a Kindle/any other ereader if you don't mind not having a physical book in your hands/not being able to read in the bath, etc.
    So this is an OK thing to do! My sister looked at me like I'd said I brushed my teeth with **** when I told her I read a book in the bath.

How easy are those things on the eyes?? I have to read a lot of old books, usually bought on Amazon for £3-4 and it would be handy to not rely on the post/kill my eyes on the computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Ah, well all I know about that is that you can increase and decrease the font of books (a few options) within the Kindle - which may help tackle the problem.

Spoiler:
    Show

Smallest font:

To:

I'm doing it when I read on my laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctarling)
    So this is an OK thing to do! My sister looked at me like I'd said I brushed my teeth with **** when I told her I read a book in the bath.
    Of course! A bath isn't the same without a book. But I did have to buy a new copy of a paperback I'd borrowed from my mum and dropped in :blushing:

(Original post by ctarling)
    How easy are those things on the eyes?? I have to read a lot of old books, usually bought on Amazon for £3-4 and it would be handy to not rely on the post/kill my eyes on the computer.
    It's much easier than reading on screen, more like reading from a page. You have to turn a light on if you want to read in dusk/dark due to absence of backlighting. I'm not having any problem with my eyes in reading from it. Also, you can change the font size easily.

ReputationRep:
    I have been considering purchasing the Kindle 3 for quite some time now. I am not an avid book reader as such but do enjoy reading. What puts me off paperbacks is that the font is small on lots of books and my eyes get strained and sore easily.

There are two things currently concerning me, or else I would have ordered it by now. I don't want to buy it now and a few months later see that there is a Kindle 4 out, and also, some books are much more expensive on the kindle than if you were to buy the paperback. But I suppose for this problem I could just purchase the paperback and sell it on.

Have you got a kindle?
    Has it made you read more?
    Is it worth it?

I am thinking of just buying the wifi one as I don't travel, and I have wifi in the house and the dictionary is built in to the kindle anyway, so I could just download books beforehand anyway.

I'd really appreciate any help! I know £100 isn't too much, but still.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I'm having so much hassle with my Kindle. Firstly they were convinced when I phoned them, that there was a 'critical' problem with the battery. So they exchanged it. This one has the same problem and after reading around some forums and reviews I've found out it's likely that the leather case is the problem...After explaining this, they refused to acknowledge this possibility and then went on to tell me that they had only been working there 2 weeks and that they were therefore not confident on all the issues that could arise!

It's annoying cause I really love my Kindle

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kawa)
    I'm having so much hassle with my Kindle. Firstly they were convinced when I phoned them, that there was a 'critical' problem with the battery. So they exchanged it. This one has the same problem and after reading around some forums and reviews I've found out it's likely that the leather case is the problem...After explaining this, they refused to acknowledge this possibility and then went on to tell me that they had only been working there 2 weeks and that they were therefore not confident on all the issues that could arise!

It's annoying cause I really love my Kindle

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent case?
    do you want a clamshell type one like the official one, or a sleeve... or a hardcase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    Thanks!

Yeah I also got this leather case:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Leath...26277&sr=1-190

I didn't fancy spending £50 on the really fancy one with a light, especially having spent £40 more for the 3G version (I spend at least 2 months every year abroad, so the free internet in any country thing is actually worth it for me :P), but this one still looks really nice and professional methinks
    Thanks for posting this. I was looking for a nice, reasonably priced cover! Some of the ones on Amazon are just too bulky or are weird designs and colours...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    do you want a clamshell type one like the official one, or a sleeve... or a hardcase?
    Preferably a clamshell, although a sleeve would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Definitely, definitely more like a book. Kindle uses E-Ink technology. Computer is horrible because of the backlit screen which both strains and damages your eyes for long reading sessions. Actually it's impossible to use for long reading sessions - you just get a headache. Kindle is just like a book. You'll never get eye strain or a headache.
    You have sold it to me
    I was wary of the screen because I get really bad eye strain on computers but hearing what you've said and having a look at video reviews the screen does look just like a book from what I can see... I think I may have to get my hands on one. Does it only have a certain selection of books or can you get a lot? for example ancient history books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daveywavey)
    I got an Amazon kindle e-book reader for Christmas yesterday and whilst I can see the advantages of reading an actual book, I must say I'm hooked on my e-book reader! You can buy all of Jane Austen's novels for 79p and Thomas Hardy's collection of 20 books for only 69p! I can't believe what a bargain it is!

Who else has an e-book reader? And what books have you read off them? Do you prefer it to reading an actual book? I am currently halfway through reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

I love the fact that you can add notes and highlight certain parts of the text!
    rep just for your sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    so would you recommend it?

Has it got you reading more and are you finding enough cheap books as some kindle books are more expensive than the paperback versions
    Well, I got it because I wanted to read more and I thought getting a Kindle might make me and so far it has. I've only had it for a week though so I have only got a couple of books on it and those are just free ones off Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    I've found that I've been reading a lot more since getting a Kindle, mainly due to it being so easy to carry round with you.

As far as the cost of ebooks, I've been able to aquire a lot of free books which will keep me going for the next 12 months at least

ReputationRep:
    Just went mental on the Kindle store in preparation for it coming (hopefully on Tuesday!)...one click purchasing is far too easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Just went mental on the Kindle store in preparation for it coming (hopefully on Tuesday!)...one click purchasing is far too easy...
    We can buy books before it arrives?!

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD BRB KINDLE STORE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    We can buy books before it arrives?!

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD BRB KINDLE STORE
    This made me chuckle :p:

ReputationRep:
    We saved ourselves £2 buying ours before now
    Also mine's meant to arrive today but no sign as yet!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.