Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I invest £50 in stocks or shares? Watch

ReputationRep:
    my suggestion is to try fantasy stocks. If you can make money with that then try with real money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    OK, first, my post was a rhetorical question, I didn't think anyone was going to answer it, but anyway nevermind.

I don't think that reading finance or marketing books have anything to do with finding an investable company, they teach you about finance and marketing, lol...

and I don't think after research about marketing and finance that holds you in a strong position to make judgements about the stock market either
    Investment bankers - they go through rigorous work load of information on marketing and finance. If they don't go through it, I think they're screwed?

My brother just gave me 25 books, he said once I've fully read that all, and I understand it 100%, I can begin investing. - He's an ex-investment banker from Lehman Brothers, he now works for Citi-Group.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    That's not you proving me wrong that's just a lot of noise, circumspect ambition.
    You can make money?

I bought £500 BP when it was down in the dumps and now its worth £800, 60% return in about 5 months isn't bad now is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    lol @ small companies
    lol at you. whats so funny about doubling your money in a day, several hundred percent over a month. Do some research next time, yes theyre quite small compared to giants such as exxon mobil, but there upside will not be matched in any indicies.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know much but i remember one day my dad bought some barclays shares he told me he bought it for some ridiculous price i think it was 60/70p p/s and within a couple of days it grew really high an he bag'd himself i think £3k ...we went out to celebrate lolol

.....anyways i think one other person suggested this but why not join forces with your parents so then you can split the profits and within no time will know a lot more about the whole stock and shares thing and then be able to do it all by yourself......

....its actually funny because my dad watches bloomberg at a specific time and his always on the phone to the broker it really is a fast pace thing...lol good luck

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget the STAMP duty charge as well.

Also if you make a profit you'll have to pay tax on it, 18% I think? Although if you're young and unemployed you probably won't have to pay tax unless you're making profit of over 10 grand... which I doubt you will be.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is clear that only a few people on here know what they are talking about...

To the OP, a couple of pointers:

1. Investing such a small amount of money is completely pointless. After the deduction of your fees, depending on your broker, you will only be buying 40ish pounds worth of shares. Those shares will need to increase massively for a decent amount of profit to be made.

2. Ignore whatever Aspiringlawstudent says as he has no idea what he is talking about. There isn't any point in investing less than 10 grand??? Lol. AIM stocks, know what these are?, can make you a lot of money, in a relatively short space of time as well, even if you invested say, your 600 quid.

*Has a quick look thorugh certain AIM shares* For instance, CNR (Condor Reserves) in late September this year was trading at less than a penny. Now they are trading at......10.75p. Not bad, eh? Imagine if you had invested your 600 quid?

3. GOLDEN RULE OF SHARE DEALING = only put in what you can afford to lose.

4. Getting started is easy, just look into a certain stockbroker, I use Barclays, and fill out a form to open an account with them.

5. Some stockbrokers have an inactivity fee. For Barclays, for example, if you do not trade for 3 months you are charged 15 quid, I think.

6. Research is essential. As you are investing your 600 quid you should be looking to put it into AIM stocks. Stay away from FTSE 250, FTSE 100 companies. Key issue to find out is whether a company has enough funding to complete, for instance, the ltest drilling for oil.

Any other advice you need quote me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

ReputationRep:
    Capital gains tax is 28%
    The transaction fee to buy the shares is at least £10.
    The transaction fee to sell the shares is at least £10.
    Broker charges about (1.5% +/-, depending on how much you invested), If you do it yourself, there is no charge.

Really is not worth your time, unless you are moving around at least £10,000 IMO

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cobrabite11)
    Newbie, just heard of the idea.

Someone like to explain to me how to do it? Just £50 at the moment, could be £500 if I start to understand and make money.

Thank you.
    ur an idiot

ReputationRep:
    Good words from Danman.

Im 19 and in shares myself and listening to some of the people on here it is crazy. Don't take advice from people who have not experienced it themselves. I went into shares myself due to the lack of interest from the banks, and have done well with my initial investment. If the £600 you talk about is all you have, then dont put it into shares. It is too much for you to loose if you are a beginner. However, £600 is enough for a first investment and i can give you advice if you need any. All the best

ReputationRep:
    Well you should think of better ways to convey yourself rather than resulting to name calling if you work in banking.
    True, I'm going to take a step back and re-analyse my life and how I conduct myself.

I may be a **** but I'm not a banker..thats harsh my friend. I'm with one of the big 4, they're generally nice righhhht?

I don't know anything about share trading, but I'm told £5k is a reasonable ballpark figure to get started.

£50 is worthless. You won't turn a profit and the commission fees/trading charges will wipe you out.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by simstar)
      True, I'm going to take a step back and re-analyse my life and how I conduct myself.

I may be a **** but I'm not a banker..thats harsh my friend. I'm with one of the big 4, they're generally nice righhhht?
      Well said. Good for you (sincerely)

ReputationRep:
      open an account at some direct bank. there the fees will be pretty low. I am assuming that you are a student as well, so fees are pretty much non existant. ie you are able to invest your total sum of 50 pound.

just try it out. even if you lose it all dont worry about it. 50 is not that much and you might just gain great insights and experience by trying it.

dont ask people to help you explain how to make money. some of us study this for 3 years or longer and posting some strategy in this forum just doesnt bring it.
      practise > theory

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mitchdeals1)
      Good words from Danman.

Im 19 and in shares myself and listening to some of the people on here it is crazy. Don't take advice from people who have not experienced it themselves. I went into shares myself due to the lack of interest from the banks, and have done well with my initial investment. If the £600 you talk about is all you have, then dont put it into shares. It is too much for you to loose if you are a beginner. However, £600 is enough for a first investment and i can give you advice if you need any. All the best
      +1 I agree.

I'm here to help as well so give me a PM if you want any help

ReputationRep:
      Lmfao, you can't make any money with £500 nevermind £50
      You could definitely make some money if you hold it for a long time or is very good

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
      You can. I know somebody that doubled £500 in about 2 months.
      Luck/opportunity and consistency are different.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PopABottle)
      You could definitely make some money if you hold it for a long time or is very good
      Long time, being 50+ years, if you're talking about an ISA. Aren't you the guy that's just asked for advice on how to invest?

ReputationRep:
      Long time, being 50+ years, if you're talking about an ISA. Aren't you the guy that's just asked for advice on how to invest?
      Not really.

Use gold by gram bought at a goldsmith as an instance.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.