Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    They must remain unpopular for a reason.

I don't know why, but there must be a reason. Perhaps sometimes it is their geographical location, mind.
    That is one argument why Aberdeen largely remains off of the map - it's very far north and a bit remote.

ReputationRep:
    YES, most of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You do know that even if you convinced everyone on TSR to respect each university in the country, there are many people who do feel that certain universities are inferior, right?

It's called hierarchy. Evidently certain universities are better than others.
    Yes, and I'm not even arguing that all unis are equal. Just that, IMO, there aren't any in the UK that are completely worthless.

ReputationRep:
    The universities i'm applying to might not be that 'prestigious' or 'good' in the eyes of most people but for my course they're actually some of the best in the county.

graphic design btw.
    although most might consider that ''mickey mouse'' i don't care really. :P

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6829650.ece

Mat Henson, meanwhile, graduated from the computer-games programming degree at the University of Derby last year. In 2009, the course was oversubscribed by a ratio of 4:1, and, despite its relatively modest entry requirements (BBC at A-level) many students arrive with three As.

Like most graduates from the computer-games-programming degree, Henson walked straight from university into a job — in his case at Playgen, a London-based games company. At 23, he is already one of their lead programmers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)
    Doesn't either Cambridge or Oxford give out EE offers? What about their students who achieve that? They shouldn't be allowed to study right?

Even though, both of us probably know that those students are capable of achieving more, if they get EE at A level, according to you - they have failed.

Here's where I'm going with this - just because someone got EE at A level doesn't mean they are doomed for life! They may have extenuating circumstances or various other things going on in their lives at the time. Also, entry requirements are an indication of popularity in the subject NOT only academic ability!

(Apologies if this is badly written lol I'm tired and felt like ranting )
    1 college in cambridge occasionally gives EE offers (not sure about oxford), the students tend to get at least AAA if not higher (no idea what the average is now A* has been introduced), quite blatantly not failures at a'level / in academics.

if somebody gets EE, no they are not doomed for life, they can do plenty of things, just academics obviously isn't their strong point so they should pursue something else.
    and if a course isn't popular it probably shouldn't be running in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    Any university that has a significant amount of courses below CCC grade level (and that's pushing it). University should be for academic excellence or vocational courses that command high academic requirements.
    *Any University that has a significant number of courses below CCC grade level.

ReputationRep:
    Only at Christ's College Cambridge. I'm disgusted you can even compare a Matriculation offer from that college with a course with poor, poor entry requirements. Matriculation offers are for the VERY best of candidates and are only given to a 1/3 of candidates.
    I was on about the actual grades rather than the course. Whether it's a Matriculation offer or not, the grades are still EE and are still worth the same amount of points.

No.
    Erm yes, "those" students I was on about are your Matriculation offer students.

Sorry I'll quote the rest in about 10 mins lol

ReputationRep:
    I think London Met is really bad. Full of chavs and gangster wannabes, and apparently the lecturers can't be bothered either. I know that they are very badly organized too because my friend went to their open day and most of the staff didn't even know it was open day, and they also wrote on their website the directions to a building that wasn't where the viewers were meant to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Oh come on, you and I both know that Cambridge and Oxford can be excepted from most general rules regarding these things.

Besides, Cambridge is so popular that they have to give out A*AA for everything, the sheer volume of applicants is unreal.
    Applicants per place at Oxbridge isn't as great as you would think. Certainly not the greatest in the country anyway. Common misconception.

...where's Derby then?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard nothing but negative attitude towards Liverpool Hope and also it isn't even on the league tables so maybe that could be classed as a 'truly bad' university. But it still provides degrees which people achieve and then go on to get jobs so in the long run is it actually bad. Maybe some universities are better than others or more respected/popular but in my opinion there is no bad universities.

ReputationRep:
    You do know that even if you convinced everyone on TSR to respect each university in the country, there are many people who do feel that certain universities are inferior, right?

It's called hierarchy. Evidently certain universities are better than others.
    Which university do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, a BSc? At least a BA tbh. :rolleyes:

Oh wait it's a BA: http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/unde...e_details.aspx
    My mistake, but still... a degree in comedy. Its laughable. GET IT. DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    Applicants per place at Oxbridge isn't as great as you would think. Certainly not the greatest in the country anyway. Common misconception.

...where's Derby then?
    Never mentioned derby in my OP did I? didn't even know they had a uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koobideh)
    lol he/she hasn't even their GCSE's yet I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (S)he doesn't. Likes the look of Oxford, though.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for asking this question!

Does this dude even go to Oxford/Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    Never mentioned derby in my OP did I? didn't even know they had a uni.
    My mistake, I thought we were talking about Derby

However after finding out you were making reference to South Bank you must be having a laugh/the statistics must be skewed somehow. No offence, but LSB is an s-hole. I'm no snob when it comes to uni - far from it in fact - but no way do they have decent grad options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    In the question: are there?

EDIT: If you're going to arbitrarily name a university, you have to justify why it's a truly bad uni. Them's the rules.
    TSR, I love your skill for making threads that within two hours can create so many arguments and snobbery its hard to keep track. +rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    lol he/she hasn't even their GCSE's yet I believe.
    :lolwut: So (s)he thinks (s)he has the audacity to proclaim Oxbridge to the heavens and scorn every other uni?

I would laugh if 'im so academic' got rejected from Oxford. She/he would probably kill him or herself.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.