Bernard Hopkins
    Mike Tyson
    Danny Williams
    Chris Eubanks

Rappers

Rakim
    Nearly all of the Wu-tang Clan
    Mos Def
    Lupe (I think he was born into it though)
    Ice Cube
    Q-Tip
    Bone Thugs
    Beanie Siegel
    Scarface
    The Roots
    Ghost Face Killer

and so so many more LEGENDS in both fields, why do barely any of them convert to Judaism or Hinduism or Christianity? Why Boxing and Hip Hop in particular - how come there are barely any Muslim actors - or of other professions in the Entertainment industry?

Oh and

The majority of those rappers are not really muslims. They are simply 5 Percenters or members of the Nations of The Gods and the Earth which is a quasi-religous sect not recognised by mainstream Islam as being legitimate. Also lol at Beanie Siegel being among one of the greatest rappers. If you have to put him in a list then you are clutching at straws

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callumt_y)
    Just to name a few:

Boxers

Muhammad Ali
    Rubin Carter
    Bernard Hopkins
    Mike Tyson
    Danny Williams
    Chris Eubanks

Rappers

Rakim
    Nearly all of the Wu-tang Clan
    Mos Def
    Lupe (I think he was born into it though)
    Ice Cube
    Q-Tip
    Bone Thugs
    Beanie Siegel
    Scarface
    The Roots
    Ghost Face Killer it's KILLAH, and he IS in wu-tang... jus sayin

and so so many more LEGENDS in both fields, why do barely any of them convert to Judaism or Hinduism or Christianity? Why Boxing and Hip Hop in particular - how come there are barely any Muslim actors - or of other professions in the Entertainment industry?

Oh and

well especially with some of those rappers, judging by their content (btw I'm a fan of most of them so don't neg me just for this) I'd love to actually know if they follow the basic principles of Islam, i.e. praying 5 times, refraining from extra-marital sex, etc.

Are there any more than that? I don't think I've heard of any more rappers/boxers converting, it's probably that they just see sense in it, but i'm sceptical as to whether they follow it or just have the belief and continue their lives as normal...

ReputationRep:
    Someone needs educating
    just an education........in general? or have you deduced from my few posts the area in which I lack an education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    Ok then, we can do this properly. First, please provide sources for the following claims in your op:

1) that each of the names listed has at one time and still is muslim
    2) that they are the greatest in their fields
    3) that more 'great' rappers convert to islam than the other religions mentioned
    4) that more 'great' boxers convert to islam than the other religions mentioned
    5) that great boxers and rappers are more likely to convert to islam than great people in other fields.
    6)that there are barely any muslims in the entertainment industry
    This is a fun, light-hearted thread, why are you taking it so seriously. Your over-analysing it.

Those names i've got were from being a life long fan of both boxing and hip hop. You're on a computer - the internet is a wonderful thing I suggest you use it yourself
      You are the person making claims. If you want them to hold any water you have to provide sources for them.

What is it that muslims have with this whole "Im gonna say wateva i want and if you dont prove me wrong, im gonna be rite innit" thing.

(Original post by B-Man.)
        This is a fun, light-hearted thread, why are you taking it so seriously. Your over-analysing it.
        You're

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by qasman)
        well especially with some of those rappers, judging by their content (btw I'm a fan of most of them so don't neg me just for this) I'd love to actually know if they follow the basic principles of Islam, i.e. praying 5 times, refraining from extra-marital sex, etc.

Are there any more than that? I don't think I've heard of any more rappers/boxers converting, it's probably that they just see sense in it, but i'm sceptical as to whether they follow it or just have the belief and continue their lives as normal...
        My man Loon is certainly 'representin
        '

ReputationRep:
        Neither of what you said made any sense :hand:
        If Islam is so endearing and attractive, why aren't you a muslim? (Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you stated earlier that you weren't)

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by KingofSpades)
        so only part of it is about terrorism and war? Well I am relieved.
        Islam is a religion which seems to often be associated with terrorism and war; for example, 9/11, london 7 bombings, the war in afghansitan... you can see where im going with this. My point is, islam is actually a religion which promotes peace. Yes, there are extremists who taint this veiw :rolleyes: and this allows people of other religions to veiw islam differently. You can't judge a whole religion only by what some people choose to do.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by qasman)

(Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
        The majority of those rappers are not really muslims. They are simply 5 Percenters or members of the Nations of The Gods and the Earth which is a quasi-religous sect not recognised by mainstream Islam as being legitimate. Also lol at Beanie Siegel being among one of the greatest rappers. If you have to put him in a list then you are clutching at straws
        That's true but alot move along to the more traditional side of Islam. I'm more interested in the fact why black AMERICA has embraced Islam - and this doesn't necessaries mean to convert to traditional Islam this means to understand what others arent understanding. Even guys like say Nas, Kweli, Common - they've mentioned Islam numerous times. Black america in my estimation appear to be the least ignorant sect towards the faith and the point was what resonates between the two - what do they get that others aren't.

ReputationRep:
        You're
        a mark of unitelligence, no less of pedantry, is correcting already comprehensible grammar.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
        If Islam is so endearing and attractive, why aren't you a muslim? (Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you stated earlier that you weren't)
        I'm not a Muslim because i'm still studying about it - i've only just grown to realise what a beautiful and misconceived faith it really is - possibly will embrace Islam in the very near future.

ReputationRep:
        You are the person making claims. If you want them to hold any water you have to provide sources for them.

What is it that muslims have with this whole "Im gonna say wateva i want and if you dont prove me wrong, im gonna be rite innit" thing.
        Evidence bbz, evidence.

ReputationRep:
        People who like to punch each other, and others who sing about waving guns around willy nilly...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by missgeorgia)
        You can't judge a whole religion only by what some people choose to do.
        I have done it till now, and do not intend to stop!

ReputationRep:
        Drugs.

ReputationRep:
        I'm not a Muslim because i'm still studying about it - i've only just grown to realise what a beautiful and misconceived faith it really is - possibly will embrace Islam in the very near future.
        Oh ok. Have fun with your devolution into more primitive thinking.

ReputationRep:

You've the only one that's questioned if i'm right or not. You can find the sources yourself.

I'll give you a few to make you feel happy - you can google the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y6oO...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Azo...eature=related

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
        Oh ok. Have fun with your devolution into more primitive thinking.
        Aah ignorance.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.