Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    A lot of people can solve 3x3x3 cubes, but it still impresses the **** out of most people. My best time is only just under a minute, average 90-seconds (apparently a common sticking point in the basic method I use).

I never took it further but if I did I would need to learn a different method, basically - I need to put some more time into studying it but I developed other interests (juggling!) so I just maintain a 80-90s Rubik's cube ability.

I really recommend it though, to impress idiots. You'll get all kinds of pussy if you solve one at all quickly. People ask if I'm a "maths person", a genius, or an engineer, haha. Not sure why an engineer, but there we go.

I have a 4x4x4 cube which I found very pleasant, and managed to get that to the point that just three of the last-layer pieces were incorrectly orientated and positioned, but I didn't know how to get further. It takes me like an hour of ****ing around to do that. I should just learn about that cube as well, I guess.

Cool hobby anyway, if you like patterns and stuff.

I do like the rubik's cube! :P
    My average is around 40s, best 32s I still love the reactions when i do it haha!

I have a 4x4x4 cube too, and there are some new algorithms you have to learn for the "parity" cases that you spoke of!

ReputationRep:
    I've never had one to try and actually do.

ReputationRep:
    I can. Once you know how to do it it becomes easy.

ReputationRep:
    Takes me a while, but eventually I do (about 15 minutes) haven't tried rubik's revenge or professor cube though... must purchase...

ReputationRep:
    Only if I'm given the algorithm, which you can find on youtube and such. Not just by looking at it and solving it - it can be the most frustrating thing.
    So in essence: no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke0011)
    I do like the rubik's cube! :P
    My average is around 40s, best 32s I still love the reactions when i do it haha!
    What method do you use?

ReputationRep:
    What method do you use?
    Fridrich F2L, Fridrich 2-look OLL and POL
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I can

ReputationRep:
    Fridrich F2L, Fridrich 2-look OLL and POL
    Yea same, basically. I still can't average under 80s. My F2L is pretty slow, I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Yea same, basically. I still can't average under 80s. My F2L is pretty slow, I reckon.
    Takes a bit of time to get F2L quick, try looking at youtube for some hints, they can be really useful!
    Helps if you have a well lubricated cube as well, i used a silicon based lubricant

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, i've just recorded myself doing the rubik's cube cos I got bored!
    I'll send you all the link when it's all uploaded, probably won't be very good quality though! haha!

ReputationRep:
    Takes a bit of time to get F2L quick, try looking at youtube for some hints, they can be really useful!
    Helps if you have a well lubricated cube as well, i used a silicon based lubricant
    That has to be the strangest post I have ever read about lube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    That has to be the strangest post I have ever read about lube.

LOL.
    It had to be done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasbirsingh)
    yes, but only the 3×3×3 one.
    Me too. Need to find myself a 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes, but I'll probably have to order them from another country as they don't sell them here . I also have Rubik's Twist/Snake which is loads of fun.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing better than a lubricated cube!

I know a guy who can do them in under a minute- he's never had a girlfriend.
    Now, I'm not saying that these two statements are related in the slightest...

ReputationRep:
    Rubik's cube.

I uploaded it to tinypic, and it sped it up :/ how do i sort it out? lmao!!

ReputationRep:
    Chris Gardner can.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r52BsJjQ6wI

My attempt at videoing myself!
    Not the best, but it'll do
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    yes I can but only thanks to the internet and learning the algorithms

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.