Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriend - Golddigger Experiment. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Best thread I have read on TSR, ever. Thanks for making me entertained, I wish more people who posts thread were interesting like you.

No you're not a horrible person.
    Two horrible persons talking: "You are not a horrible person." The other replies. "Neither you.":rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This Christmas I spent £100 on my girlfriend. We've been together a substantial amount of time, over 2 years, and as a debt ridden, poor student, it's the most I could afford.

On her part, she spent roughly £10 on me.

We are from similar financial backgrounds and are slightly supported by family, but her personal finances are sailing in calm black seas, while mine dress in tarty red and go flirting with the bank manager every month.

I know it's the thought that counts, I know money doesn't mean much, love conquers all, but I can't help feeling just a slightest bit peeved that I scrapped my pennies off the floor to make her Christmas, yet she (seriously) spent as much on her cat's birthday last month than she has on me.

I feel like I might be being taken for a ride, in which I merrily sit astride Santa's sleigh throwing out gifts, and in return **** Dastardly pulls up alongside for Muttley to crap in my sack.

Immoral as it may be, I've decided to run a small experiment. Her birthday arrives in a couple of weeks, and unlike last year where she received a new necklace and matching ear rings, this year I'm getting her a single box of chocs and maybe some stationary, just to gauge her reaction, and admittedly, savour a small bitter sweet nugget flavoured with the mildest revenge. Mostly to see what happens though.

Am I a horrible person?
    I am not going to judge you as a person, as I don't know you. Were I to be in your shoes, after the episode with the cat who apparently received more than you, I would start wondering where you are in her list of priorities. Said that, revenge may only trigger an escalation that I think neither of you really wants. I think that some honest talking about how you both truly feel about each other would do better than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    £100 is a lot, what kind of poor student are you exactly?

I personally wouldn't spend this much money on my bf. My parents have been married for a long time and they don't spend this kind of money on each other cause there is no need.

This experiment of yours is a good idea in general but you have raised her expectations so be well aware of that.

ReputationRep:
    This Christmas I spent £100 on my girlfriend. We've been together a substantial amount of time, over 2 years, and as a debt ridden, poor student, it's the most I could afford.

On her part, she spent roughly £10 on me.

We are from similar financial backgrounds and are slightly supported by family, but her personal finances are sailing in calm black seas, while mine dress in tarty red and go flirting with the bank manager every month.

I know it's the thought that counts, I know money doesn't mean much, love conquers all, but I can't help feeling just a slightest bit peeved that I scrapped my pennies off the floor to make her Christmas, yet she (seriously) spent as much on her cat's birthday last month than she has on me.

I feel like I might be being taken for a ride, in which I merrily sit astride Santa's sleigh throwing out gifts, and in return **** Dastardly pulls up alongside for Muttley to crap in my sack.

Immoral as it may be, I've decided to run a small experiment. Her birthday arrives in a couple of weeks, and unlike last year where she received a new necklace and matching ear rings, this year I'm getting her a single box of chocs and maybe some stationary, just to gauge her reaction, and admittedly, savour a small bitter sweet nugget flavoured with the mildest revenge. Mostly to see what happens though.

Am I a horrible person?

Looking forward to results. I suggest skipping the stationary. Get her a 5 pound bunch of flowers and a card. Nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    Great story bro! Good luck with your experiment!

ReputationRep:
    £100 is alot, did you honestly thought she could match you to that, hell no on the other hand her cats gifts better that your now thats taking the monkey!

below is a good poem to cheer you up lol
    Romance is dead is what they said while sittin around cheating at pool
    the very last frame of this nine ball game, the cat who had the date on the top of the empire state is the one who got hustled like a fool -Eddie Coles (Leonard Roberts)

ReputationRep:
    Best analogy i've heard in ages! hahahhahaa!

ReputationRep:
    and it will prove? All's well that ends well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Two horrible persons talking: "You are not a horrible person." The other replies. "Neither you.":rolleyes:
    Shutup queer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Shutup queer.
    Trying to silence your inner voice...:rolleyes:

you know it's wrong

ReputationRep:
    OP, what did you get each other?

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't really matter how much the gifts cost as long as they're well intentioned. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    OP you are such a ****, you won't even spend anything on your girlfriend? What the hell is wrong with you, you are so shallow, she doesn't need to spend anything on you, you are the man, she is the girl, girls deserve more than men.

/extreme sarcasm

In the big picture, gifts are a conspiracy made up by the retail industry to boost sales at christmas.

In a long relationship get them something useful not something sparkly. Shallow *****es think all that glitters is gold.

Although to be fair you sub-consciously thought you needed to keep paying rent to your GF to keep her around by spending this much on her, to impress her or whatever, so it could well be that she thinks exactly in an un-shallow fashion, spending only £10 as she believes gifts don't matter, whereas you spending 10x as much as her, means you are the shallow one, and think expensive gifts make a relationship.

In theory, you are annoyed she spent less on you, and maybe she was doing the experiment on you, in which case, you failed her experiment

Before making accusations always look in the mirror.

ReputationRep:
    Delightful read, but post above highlights something that should be well-regarded:

(Original post by chrislpp)
    Although to be fair you sub-consciously thought you needed to keep paying rent to your GF to keep her around by spending this much on her, to impress her or whatever, so it could well be that she thinks exactly in an un-shallow fashion, spending only £10 as she believes gifts don't matter, whereas you spending 10x as much as her, means you are the shallow one, and think expensive gifts make a relationship.

In theory, you are annoyed she spent less on you, and maybe she was doing the experiment on you, in which case, you failed her experiment

ReputationRep:
    Kiss your relationship goodbye

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know what she bought the OP

If he actually went and checked the price of it then he really is the shallow one.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a plan, Peter Pan. I'd say go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Women <3 money.

It's not a golddigger thing, it's evolutionary. Money, gifts etc shows that you can provide for her, which is sexy.

Of course you do get some golddiggers, but generosity is sexy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    An experiment that will result in her finishing with you but an experiment that should be done all the same. You are right, moral and just in your cause. Tally ho brother.
    If she leaves him for that, then she is loooow!
    I got **** all for my girlfriend for christmas, and she doesn't care at all

(Original post by chrislpp)

That's the best post I've read all day! Made me look at the situation in a totally different way.

Take note, OP.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.