Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else not interested in Harry Potter? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I will go there some day, hopefully :awesome:
    My family want to go back to America purely for that reason haha

ReputationRep:
    eh me. I enjoyed the books when I was younger, and read up until the Order of the Phoenix and then lost interest. I mean.. they're kid's books. I got bored of them. My dad says that everyone who he works with is into them and think they're the best thing ever and they're all like fourty hah.
    Plus everyone seems to think that they are a shining beacon of light amongst stuff like Twilight, when Harry Potter isn't exactly lacking in morally questionable content (not like ~devil worship~ or anything but it's not like Harry Potter actually confronts any relevant issues)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doloroushazy)
    eh me. I enjoyed the books when I was younger, and read up until the Order of the Phoenix and then lost interest. I mean.. they're kid's books. I got bored of them. My dad says that everyone who he works with is into them and think they're the best thing ever and they're all like fourty hah.
    Plus everyone seems to think that they are a shining beacon of light amongst stuff like Twilight, when Harry Potter isn't exactly lacking in morally questionable content (not like ~devil worship~ or anything but it's not like Harry Potter actually confronts any relevant issues)
    The first two are 'kids books'.. Deathly Hallows etc certainly isn't for little kids. It's aimed at teenagers.
    The books grew darker and darker. As the reader and characters matured. That was the whole point. There is a lot of ignorance about Harry Potter in general. People just write them off as "kids books" without knowing
    what they're talking about. Rape, murder, kidnapping, Necromancy, implied sexual assault, depression etc etc. There is a lot of horrible stuff. The creation of a Horcrux is a such a horrible act that Jo haven't even told anyone how it's done
    yet.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=elixira;29080933]Hate it, hate 'fantasy' crap that'll never happen in real life and hate their annoying accents in the films.[/QUOTE

Fantasy 'crap' that will never happen in real life? Isnt that why it's called FANTASY.Clearly you arent a fan of this genre,but that was a rubbish way to criticize it.

ReputationRep:
    The first two are 'kids books'.. Deathly Hallows etc certainly isn't for little kids. It's aimed at teenagers.
    The books grew darker and darker. As the reader and characters matured. That was the whole point. There is a lot of ignorance about Harry Potter in general. People just write them off as "kids books" without knowing
    what they're talking about.
    fine then, they're "teenager's books". aha. I dunno I just don't really understand the hype over them, and why people who are no longer kids/teenagers continue to be obsessed with them (same with Twilight etc). But hey, at least it means kids are reading something I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doloroushazy)
    fine then, they're "teenager's books". aha. I dunno I just don't really understand the hype over them, and why people who are no longer kids/teenagers continue to be obsessed with them (same with Twilight etc). But hey, at least it means kids are reading something I guess
    Anyone can read them. The first two are kids books. But I read them when I was 11, and they were aimed at people my age then. Then I matured with the characters, and the books grew darker and darker. I was 16 when the last book was released, and the characters were about 17. I fully understand that some people don't get the 'hype'. That's quite normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    It's only the best book series to ever grace the planet? I'd agree with the below par films, some of the casting has been awful but Rickman as Snape and Bonham-Carter as Bellatrix were born for them roles.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    what they're talking about. Rape, murder, kidnapping, necrophilia, implied sexual assault, depression etc etc. There is a lot of horrible stuff. The creation of a Horcrux is a such a horrible act that Jo haven't even told anyone how it's done
    yet.
    When? :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firaila)
    When? :zomg:
    Well we could call Voldemort genderly touching Cedric's dead body with his foot for exactly that, lol.
    But deary me, I didn't mean to say 'necrophilia'. Wrote too fast I think. What I meant to say was raising bodies from the dead, the Inferi. Necromancy

ReputationRep:
    Well we could call Voldemort genderly touching Cedric's dead body with his foot for exactly that, lol.
    But deary me, I didn't mean to say 'necrophilia'. Wrote too fast I think. What I meant to say was raising bodies from the dead, the Inferi.
    Good old Inferi :moon:

Although there is bestiality in the books...Hagrid being half-giant and all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firaila)
    Good old Inferi :moon:

Although there is bestiality in the books...Hagrid being half-giant and all...
    Necromancy was the word I was looking for :laugh: .. Yes, do not get me started on Hagrid's conception.

ReputationRep:
    me, i just dont get it...a wizard going through puberty, big woop!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    me, i just dont get it...a wizard going through puberty, big woop!!!
    Yes, you really summed up the books there. Harry having wet dreams about Ginny Weasley.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you really summed up the books there. Harry having wet dreams about Ginny Weasley.
    im sure that statement is meant to be very funny, but sadly i dont have a clue about Harry Pufter hence i cannot fathom the possible humour in that sentence

So help me out abit, Ginny Weasley? is that the ginger one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    im sure that statement is meant to be very funny, but sadly i dont have a clue about Harry Pufter

So help me out abit, Ginny Weasley? is that the ginger one?
    Tehe. Ob...................vi......... ......ously. (I do love Alan Rickman)

Yes, she is indeed the ginger one.

ReputationRep:
    Tehe. Ob...................vi......... ......ously. (I do love Alan Rickman)

Yes, she is indeed the ginger one.
    She? woops, I thought it was the boy ginger one lol

ReputationRep:
    I am reading the books now (I've read 5 of them) and I have to say that overall they are really good and engrossing.

(I remember reading the first one when I was 12 and gave up after 15 pages. It was TSR which made me to go back to them ).

I agree with Luceria, the 1st three books might be for children, Goblet of fire and Order of phoenix were quite complicated. I don't see a child comprehending the plot that much.

Though I dislike Harry's character in the book (he is rather selfish, ungrateful and an impertinent character :mad: ). I just can't sympathise with him.

And the films are **** compared to the books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    I am reading the books now (I've read 5 of them) and I have to say that overall they are really good and engrossing.

(I remember reading the first one when I was 12 and gave up after 15 pages. It was TSR which made me to go back to them ).

I agree with Luceria, the 1st three books might be for children, Goblet of fire and Order of phoenix were quite complicated. I don't see a child comprehending the plot that much.

Though I dislike Harry's character in the book (he is rather selfish, ungrateful and an impertinent character :mad: ). I just can't sympathise with him.

And the films are **** compared to the books.
    Are you sure you're reading the right book? The entire series is based on the fast with emphathize with Harry. Although there is the obvious world fails if Voldemort takes over etc, primarily it is a book about Harry Potter and his fight against Voldemort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anfieldred07)
    Simple question really. Myself? Not a fan. I can see the attraction but it just doesn't stimulate me. Its very rare i come across somebody who doesn't like the films or books (or both) so i thought i would see the response on here.
    meeeeeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    Are you sure you're reading the right book? The entire series is based on the fast with emphathize with Harry. Although there is the obvious world fails if Voldemort takes over etc, primarily it is a book about Harry Potter and his fight against Voldemort.
    :rolleyes: Yeah. I'm pretty sure I am reading the right books.

I understand what are you saying, I know Harry has suffered a lot, but as I've just finished order of Phoenix and I've took great dislike to his father James as well (Bullying Snape :mad:). I never liked Sirius either (so grumpy), glad he died.

I forget Harry is a teenager and his behaviour is quite expected. (but just him being angry and miserable all the time puts me off the book). All the other charaters are really likeable e.g. Ron, Hermione and Dobby.

I just take book characters quite seriously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.