Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you pay your parents a month? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escriba)
    I don't. Is it just me or is that really odd?
    I find it really odd if I'm being honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    I find it wrong for parents to expect money particularly from children who are still at university. My parents find it wrong as well but maybe it's just a culture thing.

I think it would be wrong not to pay my way if I continued to stay at home despite having a well paid position in my late 20's.
    My parents don't expect any money of me, I just offered to pay. Are people forgetting about how much you get as a loan/grant? Jeez

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    Well £100 would be fine I guess, i'm just thinking that i'm paying £400 a month now for halls, and for what is much lower quality accommodation than what i'd get at my parents so £200 seems a bargain.

And i'll re-iterate, my parents have a very good income, they do not need the money by any means but it's just my feelings on the situation.
    That's just you being very mature and responsible at this age and feeling to contribute even though your family don't force you and have a very good income.

of course it's a bargain..but you're still a student 22-25 somewhere at that age i guess?..no need to be so mature at this age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    My parents don't expect any money of me, I just offered to pay. Are people forgetting about how much you get as a loan/grant? Jeez
    I didn't get a loan or grant when I was at university because I'm not British but even when I had a grad job after I graduated which was paying me a salary in the mid £20k region, my parents still didn't didn't expect a penny from me, neither did I offer.

ReputationRep:
    My bro pays £250 but my other bro pay £7 (unemployed) i pay nothing, though the council are chasing me down now that i'm on a gap year but they can whistle for it

ReputationRep:
    I think it was £100 when I lived with them.

But these days I give zero as I live in my own place which is 8 times that amount. :mad: ****ing London ****ehole.

Sorry /rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    Well £100 would be fine I guess, i'm just thinking that i'm paying £400 a month now for halls, and for what is much lower quality accommodation than what i'd get at my parents so £200 seems a bargain.

And i'll re-iterate, my parents have a very good income, they do not need the money by any means but it's just my feelings on the situation.
    so.........

one point you're saying you want to help your parents out, now you're literally saying you're effectively ripping them off? if you wanted to help them out financially pay them 1000 a month not some imaginary number plucked off the top of your head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    so.........

one point you're saying you want to help your parents out, now you're literally saying you're effectively ripping them off? if you wanted to help them out financially pay them 1000 a month not some imaginary number plucked off the top of your head.
    Sigh....you're missing the point. £200 a month is cheaper but in relative terms to what they are paying at the moment for the mortgage I can't be paying otherwise it's unfair on me. I think they pay £450 a month mortgage so anymore than £200 is silly. It's not about imaginary numbers.

Maybe use a bit of intellect next time?

ReputationRep:
    If you pay, you're an accident.

ReputationRep:
    my parents say that they'll pay for my first house after uni if I live near to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -2D-)
    my parents say that they'll pay for my first house after uni if I live near to them
    It's a trap.

I don't pay my parents rent although I would if I were asked. Thankfully that would never happen. They are responsible for me until I move out and then get married. After that the tables turn and I'm responsible for them until they pop their clogs. An excellent deal I think.

ReputationRep:
    I don't pay any rent, but that is because I do all the grocery shopping
    If I didn't, I would be expected to pay £50 a week, which isn't bad.

My boyfriend has to pay £300 rent a month to his mum and he lives in a flat in a council estate his mum doesn't even pay rent for. I don't think THAT's fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    It's a trap.
    It isn't really a trap.... her parents are far-sighted

In time to come the vast majority of graduates wouldn't be able to afford a home and it would be very normal for parents to pay the downpayment for a mortgage

ReputationRep:
    Lol, if you are paying rent to your parents why the hell don't you just get your own place? wtf.. I would never pay rent to my parents, I would rather live on my own.

When I did my internship a couple of summers ago, I gave my mum £150 a month as I was living at home for that period. It was a drop in the bucket considering I was earning £300 a week and was reclaiming the PAYE contributions, and I've never been asked to pay anything else since.

I occasionally do food shopping as well, but my mum usually refunds me for the stuff we both use (bread and milk etc).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Converse)
      Overboard.
      Joke.

ReputationRep:
      £200 this month. It depends how much all of the bills are and everything- I don't have a fixed rate.

ReputationRep:
      I pay £50 a month (I usually pay £25 every fortnight as my part time job pays me every fortnight).

ReputationRep:
      I had to pay my mom about half of my earnings I received when I was working. And that was about £40.00 weekly.
      Now that I live on my own, I don't have to pay her anything.

I think that it shows how much you respect your mother, well for me anyway, as she was the one who raised me, single parent.

I didn't see anything wrong with it at all

ReputationRep:
      none.

i asked my mum about it and she said that she would never let me pay rent.. even if i was 30 and had a full time job.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.