Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Village life ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sphipsta)
    Thing is i dont live in a village, i live in an overgrown village thats become a very small town. However surrounding area contains many little villages and i just keep thinking why would anyone want that life style. Family yes can be an absolute nightmare and i think the nuclear family ie husband wife and kids would get along a hell of a lot better without family interfering in your affairs which happens more frequently in smaller communities
    Alan Sugar wouldnt of been able to build up his business empire if he hadnt of lived in London. Sure he must love visiting somewhere quiet, key emphasis on the visit though, i am not disputing the fact they are nice i am just questioning why it should be a permanent thing
    Oki doki, I hope you received enough responses and you will manage to leave for a more interesting place for you soon
    The visiting thing could turn in a permanent one as it happened in many cases.
    This behaviour of leaving the stressful world/workplace and joining a simpler, calmer life is called "Downshifting" and there's a story about "The businessman and the fisherman" that you might enjoy reading.
    Good night!

ReputationRep:
    Lets look at this from a different slant. You could either live in a city and stay in the city where you have supermarkets and shops basically that stay supplied thanks to air, or same situation in a village with you having to grow your own food, find a well paid job, all of this without leaving, where would you pick ?
    the sustainable option y'know

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Chesterfield for the most part of my life then moved to sleepy dorset. What i have is far from presumption, i am living in my hell. Noise isnt a bad thing, clubs and pubs are fun. silence as it can be golden can also become tiresome and lonely.
    It is presumption to say that the only ones who choose to live in a village are ones who have only ever experienced the village life.

Again: alright, what is one man's hell can be another's heaven. There's not really much to argue about - you hate it, I love it. You can't really argue about personal preference. There's not really a wrong or right.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that, so you are telling me that some old nosey person living in a village knows about political tensions then ? of course not, as long as they have food on their table and gossip to monger after they are happy.
    Are you saying that everyone in cities knows about political tensions? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that, so you are telling me that some old nosey person living in a village knows about political tensions then ? of course not, as long as they have food on their table and gossip to monger after they are happy. i am talking out of experiance so dont facepalm you tool.
    I dont assume people think my way i am voicing my viewpoint and requesting others give me theirs. Its not a hard concept, tool
    And how do you find out about this "political tension"? TV, newspapers, internet, radio. All of those things are in the countryside aswell dumbass. :facepalm2:

And people have given you their viewpoint, and all you have done is basically say they are wrong. :facepalm2:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Tool.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like the peace and quiet, the countryside, the lack of other humans.

Living at Keele is kind of like living in a village, albeit a village populated almost exclusively by young people, and I like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_My)
    Sorry you won't get any raw milk XD It isn't like bambi or snow white....
    I'm aware conservative isn't 'bad', just these people are old conservative and very against anything thats not British and 'correct' (in their eyes...)
    And (usually racist, go to any pub and you will find out) old people aren't people I would naturally associate with as a young person, I don't find old ladies very interesting I'm afraid.

Oh well, I hope you enjoy WI meetings and young farmers clubs with ye olde mens pubs ;o;
    Oh, I know but I would make some effort to have it, it pays off.
    Being unwilling to live in the countryside because of the old people is like not being willing to live in the cities because there are teenagers...they are both everywhere so you can't escape.
    Eh..you just don't want to live in the countryside, that's alright, lucky me I had good experiences even since I was a child so I really want to do it

Good night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph1990)
    peace and quiet?
    Rapidly goes from peace and quiet to ripping my teeth out with pliers just for something to do because its so bloody boring.

I lived in the country the village was about 2 miles away and during the school summer holidays (3 months in Ireland) it became mind rotting.

Personally now that im older I'd love to go back there and leave the big city behind

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I couldn't live in a village because I'm unlikely to ever have a driving license (can't reverse for ****) so I need to live within a reasonable distance of everything I need.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the quiet, I quite like being able to step outside and just walk off into the countryside, I really miss that when I'm at uni. And you can't beat a country pub. Shame my local's gone bust.

But yeah, public transport is crap, it's a three mile walk to catch a bus that only runs once every two hours. Since I sold the car and started walking everywhere I've lost a little bit of weight. I just need to kick the cake habit now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    What significance does teachers living within 10 miles have?
    Dunno actually, it was just something we had always thought of as being a good thing - you know your teacher more and they understand you more. I suppose it doesn't make much difference but we, certainly I, always feel you get a better edcuation in a rural school as opposed to a city school.

In reply to the comment about a friend being thirteen miles away, when I was 17/18 all my friends lived miles away - we saw each other during school and that was that, just spent weekends with the two girls my age that live here, or with my family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph1990)
    peace and quiet?
    :yep:

Plus you don't get all the chavs/hoodlems running about, causing riot. There's usually a sense of community spirit. :fluffy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Dunno actually, it was just something we had always thought of as being a good thing - you know your teacher more and they understand you more. I suppose it doesn't make much difference but we, certainly I, always feel you get a better edcuation in a rural school as opposed to a city school.

In reply to the comment about a friend being thirteen miles away, when I was 17/18 all my friends lived miles away - we saw each other during school and that was that, just spent weekends with the two girls my age that live here, or with my family.
    You do get a better education in a country school but that still has nothing to do with how far away the teachers live from it!!!

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone our age, i am speaking to the age bracket of 17 to 24 or younger or older, in fact a range would be nice. Why tell me why would living in a small isolated place be attractive to anyone ? the nearest town is like 5 miles away, it costs a tonne for petrol now and we are supposed to be greener. City life is just top rate and to me village life has no benefits with it, why would anyone want to be so out of the loop of society and what impact would living in a village have on future kids ? let me put it to you that they would have a very sheltered experiance of the world and it wouldn't hold them in good stead for future life. so cmon benefits to village life or do people share my sentiment
    Maybe because some of us value isolation and natural beauty over convenience :yep:

People in villages generally have better mental health and less stress overall. And that says alot.
    I hate urban life, it's so noisy, hostile, and annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a village, it's far too pretentious centred around American ideals i.e. white picket fence, husband and wife with 2-3 children and so on.

At least a city has variety.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a village that is 10 minutes away from the closest small town.
    Good things : everyone talks to you , you can escape easily like dog walks , only 50 in my school in primary , Good for house partys , Campouts ,
    Bad things : More effort to get to places , rubbish bus service , when it snows you cant get anywhere ( but theres always places to sledge and school got closed a lot) ect
    I would pick a village over city though any day because of the space but life seems 'a lot faster' in cities

ReputationRep:
    I love living in a village. Our village is really quite well provided for, it is smallish but has a three churches if you are religious (they welcome non-Christians), a converted church now a theatre/gig venue, all the usual shops, a wedding shop, charity shop, two delis, two hairdressers, a chemist, a PC plod etc. It has a very good main street with the village spread around it. Nearest city is an hour away and nearest town about 20 minutes.

I have friends who are really into going out so they travel. From personal experience, when I was at college especially, people who live in villages are more likely to travel widely within and beyond the county. Plus there is always that time someone is drunk and being pushed down a hill in a wheelbarrow!

And I couldn't just take off for my daily 3-7 mile walks in a field if I lived in a city now could I?

As a partial hermit I would like to go more rural one day Yet I am willing to move to a city at the end of my gap year/s for a new experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Maybe because some of us value isolation and natural beauty over convenience :yep:

People in villages generally have better mental health and less stress overall. And that says alot.
    I hate urban life, it's so noisy, hostile, and annoying.
    I concur!

ReputationRep:
    You can only see the Stars in a Village.. but not in a city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sanctified)
    You can only see the Stars in a Village.. but not in a city.
    I have lived in a village all my life so far (currently in 2nd Year at University). I see no disadvantages to living in a village accept the 40mins bus ride to Uni every day! (I am glad I am moving to the beautiful campus at Aberdeen University next semester after the summer!). I am very fortunate as the village where I live is really sleepy (commuter settlement) but it is on the coast so we have a beach close by and countryside for walks and cycling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.