Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to be a writer: How can I stand out? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalLifeForever)
    Very nice, you have to love a bit of Dickens, especially at that price :P
    Well I like lots of different writers, like Aldous Huxley, Kurt Vonnegut, F Scott Fitzgerald, Oscar Wilde, Jack Kerouac, Sebastian Faulks, and poetry by T.S.Eliot, Ezra Pound, Dante, Sylvia Plath...and lots more :P I love a good book!
    So it would seem, what sane creature doesn't?!

1. Don't do a degree in Creative Writing.
      2. Don't write about vampires if you want to be taken seriously (unless you turn the genre on its head or something).
      3. Have absolute bloody-minded confidence that your work NEEDS to be read.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Doke)
      So it would seem, what sane creature doesn't?!
      Amazingly lots of my friends hate reading. One even dropped English Lit because he found it too arduous to pick up the book :P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
      1. Don't do a degree in Creative Writing.
      2. Don't write about vampires if you want to be taken seriously (unless you turn the genre on its head or something).
      3. Have absolute bloody-minded confidence that your work NEEDS to be read.

Good luck.
      Why do so many people say that you shouldn't read Creative writing at university? Won't it help if you want to be a writer?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by r3l4x3d)
      I'd happily read any of your stuff if you were willing to share it with me. In terms of being noticed I guess it's all about developing your own style of writing, whether you're writing novels, articles or any other piece of writing, just try and use Tone, Sentence Structure, Word Choice and any use of extended language to attract attention. Just mix it up and find something that suits, there is hundreds of ways of apprroaching writing things out there and thousands of ways of putting your idea across. Good Luck! xx
      I've had some kind offers from helpful TSRians about reading my stuff and I would be ver grateful to anyone who cares. I've got some work on Lulu.com and I'll post the link just as soon as my new proofs come through. I can't send the manuscripts of those because they're huge documents, unfortunately, otherwise I would. I know this might not get a lot of people actually looking at anything other than the little cover piece they put to sell it because you have to buy to get the whole book. But looking at that little bit would be nice and getting some feedback from that would be helpful in terms of how much just seeing a tiny bit attracts you to my stuff. I will also see if I can sort out some shorter pieces that people can have a look at so that I can get some better reviews.

Thank you very much for the offer and I do hope I can take you up on it some time soon.

Oh, and number 4, the most important:

You don't WANT to be a writer. You ARE a writer.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
        Oh, and number 4, the most important:

You don't WANT to be a writer. You ARE a writer.
        I love this one, this one's my favourite

ReputationRep:
        As a Man speaking to a Woman i urge you not to write more Vampire romance dribble...

ReputationRep:
        Has anyone written a treatment for a script? Or do you know how?

(Original post by xx glitterpixie xx)
          Why do so many people say that you shouldn't read Creative writing at university? Won't it help if you want to be a writer?
          No, not necessarily. Studying something else can inform your writing (JK Rowling studied Classics, Harry Potter has countless references to the classical world). Mikhail Bulgakov trained as a doctor. Franz Kafka was a lawyer or accountant or something.

That's like saying having a degree in music will help you become a professional musician. The Beatles didn't need formal training, so why should a professional writer need to be assessed at university level to be told if they're any good? As Bob Dylan said, "I don't need a journalist to tell me if I'm good."

But if the OP has set her heart on it, she should go for it. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Doke)
          I've had some kind offers from helpful TSRians about reading my stuff and I would be ver grateful to anyone who cares. I've got some work on Lulu.com and I'll post the link just as soon as my new proofs come through. I can't send the manuscripts of those because they're huge documents, unfortunately, otherwise I would. I know this might not get a lot of people actually looking at anything other than the little cover piece they put to sell it because you have to buy to get the whole book. But looking at that little bit would be nice and getting some feedback from that would be helpful in terms of how much just seeing a tiny bit attracts you to my stuff. I will also see if I can sort out some shorter pieces that people can have a look at so that I can get some better reviews.

Thank you very much for the offer and I do hope I can take you up on it some time soon.
          No worries, I hope I could help although my advice probably won't be much more than a bit of confidence for you. Journalism is definetely a career path that I'm considering, probably in the direction of sport and/or music.

Do you have a specific idea of what you plan to write about?

(Original post by Doke)
            I love this one, this one's my favourite
            I hope it makes up for pissing over your dream to do a degree in Creative Writing. Some of my friends study it and they love it, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by maskofsanity)
            It wouldn't help more than studying the best writers in history, i.e. English Lit.
            Oh i see, but surely a course like English Literature with Creative Writing is something which would have both aspect (i.e studying the work of the greatest writers, and also learning about how to hone your own writing skills?)..

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Doke)
            My main aspiration in life is to be a professional writer, hopefully at a good enough level that I might earn a decent income from my efforts. As far as education and personal involvement goes, I believe that I am heading in the right direction and, hopefully, am not doing anything to detract from my goals. I am taking subjects that I have been informed are relevant (aside from the obvious English Language and Literature, I am also studying Media Studies and Philosophy and Ethics) and I am applying in 2011 to study Creative Writing at a number of universities that, after much research, I have determined to have courses suited to my tastes in the area. I write a lot in my free time to hone my skills so that if the time comes that I might offer my work professionally, I will have developed my talent to an appropriate level. I mostly write fiction and have made considerable advances over the past decade in my abilities in terms of style and detail. I hope that I will be able to one day earn a living from this as it is something that I love and do so very much.

However, I am aware to the point of crippling fear that the entertainment industry is very competitive and, if anyone can help me, I would like to have some idea of more ways in which I can be noticed as a writer. I know fully that writing alone when all of my work stays on my memory stick where no one will see it will never be particularly fruitful, no matter how much I practice or how good (or otherwise ) my work might be.

I have been advised that I should write a blog, and I am in the process of looking into this option, but the vast number of blogging sites available make it hugely confusing. I want to stand out and not just be another random blogger with no readers.

Realistically, what can I do to make me stand out more? Is there anything I can do to catch the attention of people who can really make a difference for me in this regard?

Thank you in advance for any help you have to offer, as well as apologies for my long-winded request. I just like to make sure I've covered everything that I do not cause confusion.

Doke x

P.S., I am aware that this thread is also in another part of the website, but I accidentally posted it in the wrong area and will not try to make any excuses for my mistake.
            Why would you do a creative writing degree? What would they teach you in it? Surely creativity in writing is based on natural talent, which cannot be taught, and is something you should already have if you want to write professionally. Think of your favourite writers, or any professional writer for that matter, did they need degrees in creative writing? It would be better to have a degree in an academic subject such as English Lit or History, as these are degrees employers favour in jobs that feature writing, and they would be useful for other career paths to fall back on if your dreams are crushed (which unfortunately is the most likely outcome, not just for you, but for the vast majority of people).

And if you're interested in writing novels in short stories, you don't need a degree at all to do that, just a lot of free time and luck.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by maskofsanity)
            It wouldn't help more than studying the best writers in history, i.e. English Lit.
            I have been advised both for and against studying Creative Writing and, after having compared the courses available to me, I have chosen that it is the one most suited to me. However, in trying to broaden my range, I have started looking at the recommended reading lists for similar subjects at my first choice of university and am hoping to make a start on getting some of the advised books as soon as possible - some with my Christmas money, others I'll ask for for my birthday in March (some of my family are already buying me utensils to take away to uni), so it's not like I'm going to be neglecting that area of study, it'll just be something I do on my own as opposed to something I do for grades.

(Original post by x-friends)
              Has anyone written a treatment for a script? Or do you know how?
              You give a brief description of what happens in every scene, from beginning to end.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by yituool)
              Why would you do a creative writing degree? What would they teach you in it? Surely creativity in writing is based on natural talent, which cannot be taught, and is something you should already have if you want to write professionally. Think of your favourite writers, or any professional writer for that matter, did they need degrees in creative writing? It would be better to have a degree in an academic subject such as English Lit or History, as these are degrees employers favour in jobs that feature writing, and they would be useful for other career paths to fall back on if your dreams are crushed (which unfortunately is the most likely outcome, not just for you, but for the vast majority of people).

And if you're interested in writing novels in short stories, you don't need a degree at all to do that, just a lot of free time and luck.
              It's what I want to do. I've looked at the options available to me and this the one that has what I want in it. I'm doing my best with luck and free time and I'm hoping that I can push for a bit more by getting some real feedback from people who know what they're talking about at a higher level

(Original post by plasterprincess)
                heyy this site is fab you can upload your book and enter it into competitions, feel free to add me as a friend when you have made an account ( dreamqueen28)

www.bookrix.com

Is it possible for someone to steal your work and pass it off as their own if you post it on the site or is there copyright or something to protect your work?

ReputationRep:
                One thing I'd say is actually to just remain focused with your own style.

I've retained my unique syntax in my writing and my style by carefully and selectively exposing myself to the writing of others.

In terms of story and inspiration, that should come mostly from the things you know and have experienced.

Every smell and sight that you write about should be derived from your own experience - but don't let that curtail your forays into human fantasy.

Good luck... will also be needed.

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by xx glitterpixie xx)
                Oh i see, but surely a course like English Literature with Creative Writing is something which would have both aspect (i.e studying the work of the greatest writers, and also learning about how to hone your own writing skills?)..
                I have considered that, and as I've got a few more weeks before I have to send off my applications I'm still thrashing it out, but I suppose I'm looking forward to not having to worry about the things that annoy me about the literature side.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.