Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    If only! Adobe like making overpriced software too much
    I think you'd be in the minority if you paid for Photoshop.

ReputationRep:
    If only! Adobe like making overpriced software too much
    TBH I don't think they will really consider it. I can't see any Linux users paying over £1,000 for a software suite. People will just pirate it. I think Adobe knows that too- it wouldn't be profitable for them to port it.
    I still liked it anyway .
    BTW, you can run Photoshop 7 on WINE/crossover quite well. I think with each release of Photoshop the only difference is how much time you'll be using. I often find it more rewarding to create images in simpler image editors .
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    Sorry.. the liloconfig file is in /sbin .. there is also 'lilo' there. I tried to execute it, it said firstly that it cannot find /etc/lilo.conf. Then I just created a blank lilo.conf using vi. Tried to execute it again this time the error message is:
    Code:
    Warning: LBA32 Addressing assumed.
    Fatal: /dev/tmp.0: No such device or address

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Yeah well my thinking was to boot using the install drive. Find the Lilo install package on the dvd once its booted, copy it on the HD and install it manually. But its not happening for some reason.

Pkgtool is not giving any error messages when installing, there is still no /etc/lilo.conf though.

The Liloconfig file is not in /sbin/ like I think it should be. However, now when i type 'liloconfig' there isn't a 'not found' error, but it just doesn't do anything.

Confused!
    I recommend making a thread over at LinuxQuestions, which is considered the official Slackware forums.
    That's a weird error though .
    All I can suggest is copying a default lilo.conf file and then editing appropriately in vi, then saving it to /etc/lilo.conf and then as root running /sbin/lilo, which may very well be a waste of time >_<.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    I think you'd be in the minority if you paid for Photoshop.
    Unfortunately I have to :mad:

(Original post by Emor)
    TBH I don't think they will really consider it. I can't see any Linux users paying over £1,000 for a software suite. People will just pirate it. I think Adobe knows that too- it wouldn't be profitable for them to port it.
    I still liked it anyway .
    BTW, you can run Photoshop 7 on WINE/crossover quite well. I think with each release of Photoshop the only difference is how much time you'll be using. I often find it more rewarding to create images in simpler image editors .
    EMZ=]
    Exactly. For Adobe to successfully port it to linux they'd have to either dramatically reduce their prices or make it open source. The concept of either is pretty laughable Some of the adobe suite runs okish under wine but its simply not good enough to use professionally. People claim GIMP is a good alternative which in many ways it is, but when you're trying to work with .psds like everyone else, compatibility just fails for a start

Anyway, I love linux for everything else - dualboot yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    Bash (and the builtins) are about 1 million times better than the Windows command line though.
    QFT :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry.. the liloconfig file is in /sbin .. there is also 'lilo' there. I tried to execute it, it said firstly that it cannot find /etc/lilo.conf. Then I just created a blank lilo.conf using vi. Tried to execute it again this time the error message is:
    Code:
    Warning: LBA32 Addressing assumed.
    Fatal: /dev/tmp.0: No such device or address
    Yeah, you should probably manually configure lilo then. Here's a tutorial I found from a quick Google search. May not be sufficient, just skimmed through it.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    What do you think about linux any good or not
    You have got to admit some os's of it do look cool
    Here is and operating system called kubuntu

Linux mint is sex in OS form

ReputationRep:
    I just installed Ubuntu and I'm discovering the joy of the terminal. Using it makes me feel clever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Linux mint is sex in OS form
    I love mint!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I have to :mad:

Exactly. For Adobe to successfully port it to linux they'd have to either dramatically reduce their prices or make it open source. The concept of either is pretty laughable Some of the adobe suite runs okish under wine but its simply not good enough to use professionally. People claim GIMP is a good alternative which in many ways it is, but when you're trying to work with .psds like everyone else, compatibility just fails for a start

Anyway, I love linux for everything else - dualboot yay
    That's the problem. So many people don't buy it so they increase the prices more and then less people buy it, etc.
    I personally don't think GIMP's a good alternative for professional work. I dislike the interface mainly, I'm sure that it's as functional as PS. But I thought GIMP could export and import psds?
    GIMP's great though for quick edits and forum signatures etc.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    That's the problem. So many people don't buy it so they increase the prices more and then less people buy it, etc.
    I personally don't think GIMP's a good alternative for professional work. I dislike the interface mainly, I'm sure that it's as functional as PS. But I thought GIMP could export and import psds?
    GIMP's great though for quick edits and forum signatures etc.
    EMZ=]
    I'm pretty sure Adobe just charge astronomical prices simply because they can
    I know what you mean, GIMP has almost everything that PS has but I just find it more difficult to use - I assumed this was because I used PS for years before I even opened it though!

GIMP can work with psds, but in practice it doesn't work anywhere near well enough for professional use - if it did, Adobe would probably sue them

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Adobe just charge astronomical prices simply because they can
    I know what you mean, GIMP has almost everything that PS has but I just find it more difficult to use - I assumed this was because I used PS for years before I even opened it though!

GIMP can work with psds, but in practice it doesn't work anywhere near well enough for professional use - if it did, Adobe would probably sue them
    I suppose they're a pretty successful company, though I often get the impression the levels of piracy do bother them quite a lot.
    Yeah. Apparently there's an add-on called GIMP Shop or something to that effect that tries to emulate the UI, though I never really got it to install. I doubt that it'd be very similar though.
    Haha yeah probably!
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Flash is on the way out anyway in favour of HTML5 anyway. Proprietary, closed-source software with severe exploits surfacing all the time; and yet it's still pretty damn important for using a lot of websites, gotta love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Yeah, you should probably manually configure lilo then. Here's a tutorial I found from a quick Google search. May not be sufficient, just skimmed through it.
    EMZ=]
    I managed to get it sorted eventually. It was just a minor problem with the setup.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get it sorted eventually. It was just a minor problem with the setup.
    Ahh awesome .
    EMZ=]

For all those that want adobe photoshop

install a program called "wine"
    then install photoshop for windows
    simple

wine is like an emulator (compatibility layer as some say) that runs windows programs no problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Gregory)
    I hate it. A good proportion of network cards don't work (I have wasted literally about 50 hours of my life fighting network cards in Linux). Automatic updates regularly break the X boot sequence. It has mad-ass special moves like alt-sys-req-b and ctrl-alt-f5, which should be confined to Tekken, not operating systems. Different programs have their own clipboards, and use different keys and button presses to copy and paste. Watching a film or listening to music which isn't in an obscure format approved by open souce zealots is a severe trial. The file manager in gnome is ludicrously slow (though I think maybe you can speed it up by faffing with some options somewhere), because all l33t people use the command line for everything, obviously, and so don't care. The organisation of the filesystem is a cryptic, indecipherable mess, and to some extent isn't even standardised (/usr/share /usr/ /opt /usr/share/gnome whatever). The output of most commands at the terminal is cryptic and indecipherable. It positively encourages people to do everything in as complex a way as possible - it seems absolutely every system built in Linux ever is built on top of a mass of shell scripts filled with random funny characters and heaps of symlinks. If you're particularly unlucky, people use autotools and/or perl as well. Shared libraries are inconsistent between different Linux systems, as are install paths, making generic binary packages a nightmare. Also, it brought emacs into being.

That was just a stream of conciousness, if I actually put my mind to it I could double the above.

ARG I HATE LINUX
    Interesting, since 2008 I have not had any trouble with any wireless cards. (If only the same could be said about windows).

Sys-Rq and Control-Alt-F* really are for people who know what they are doing. The should pretty much never be used unless you are majorly messing with something, (or you just like the feeling of power they give).

The different copy and paste I have only noticed in Terminal, where it's control, shift and c/v. However, this is because control + c cancels, which predates the clipboard, at least you can copy and paste at all in terminal with the keyboard, in windows you have to select the text then go looking in the edit menu in cmd.

The file system is a bit confusing at first, but it is in no way indecipherable, in fact it is so clear Microsoft decided to copy it.
    Linux
    /home/#username#/Documents
    /home/#username#/Music
    /home/#username#/Pictures

Old Windows
    C:\Documents and Settings\#username#\My Documents
    C:\Documents and Settings\#username#\My Documents\My Music
    C:\Documents and Settings\#username#\My Documents\My Pictures

New Windows
    C:\Users\#username#\Documents
    C:\Users\#username#\Music
    C:\Users\#username#\Pictures

The short names, var, usr, sys may seem offputting. But when you consider that the people who have any reason to be using the folders will probably in command line. The lack of spaces means escaping characters isn't necessary and the short names make it easier to type. Really, you do no need to be anywhere outside of /home/#username#/ unless you are fiddling, and the filesystem is designed to be helpful towards fiddlers.

Installing software in Linux can be a lot easier than Windows. The App store for iPods is basically Ubuntu Software Centre ported to the iphone platform. The jailbroken store cydia even uses debian packages and repositories in exactly the same way. Installing an app in Linux is no harder than installing an iphone app. (At least is isn't in Ubuntu). Even synaptic or the red hat equivalent is still pretty easy. It's just that there is nothing telling you how to install software when you first start, hence why you get beginners trying to compile all the programs from source.

Disclaimer, the examples of copying are their to show that the idea is a good idea and hence has been adopted by other companies. I am not accusing Microsoft or Apple of stealing from Linux, neither am I say that Linux doesn't steal from them, that's not the point I am trying to make.

ReputationRep:
    I've been using Linux (specifically Ubuntu 10.10) exclusively for a while now on a very old laptop... It breathes new life into old hardware.

ReputationRep:
    Waste of time imo, you spend 90% of your time looking online for stupid-ass scripts to make your audio player run or mods to let you play Minecraft. If the Linux community actually pulled together and worked as a team (which will never happen lol) instead of ******** different pointless distros out left right and centre they could probably produce an OS that could compete with Windows.

Linux: It just doesn't work.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.