Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Daily Telegraph: Muslim population has grown from 1.65m to 2.87m in a decade Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    :dontknow: I see it much the same as the huge influxes of Irish Catholic immigrants we've had in this country (albeit on a much smaller scale...). I have friends from Irish Catholic stock, who live in Irish areas and went through the Catholic school system but nonetheless find their grandparents' attitudes towards contraception, homosexuality and Protestantism utterly laughable.
    I think it's a little presumptuous to extrapolate one community's evolution through generation across all communities' - i.e. this theory doesn't always apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I would have thought a lot of Muslims being socially conservative would be natural supporters of the Telegraph and the Tories. But they seem to be at odds with them but they both support things like against gays, pro marriage, family values and religious observance.
    Most Muslims tend to support the Labour Party and read the Guardian.

However, I am an anomaly, read the Times and support strongly the tory party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempa)
    If the point of this thread is to point out the dramatic increase in population, then let me say that Muslims are not allowed to use contraception so each time they have sex: they have a baby. Simple.
    complete lie
    it was the christian pope who condemed the use of contraception i.e condom until this year.

so get your facts right before you say ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempa)
    If the point of this thread is to point out the dramatic increase in population, then let me say that Muslims are not allowed to use contraception so each time they have sex: they have a baby. Simple.
    yes they are allowed contraception

ReputationRep:
    Does that number count all the Muslims that are over here illegally too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Actually, the evidence shows that such people are much more likely to be second- or third- generation. Presumably because they want to try and reconnect with a culture that they have little direct experience of, and so may see extremism as more "authentic".
    that's a really interesting point actually, I've always assumed it would be the first generation but thinking about it my parents have never sat around the kitchen table hatching a plan to bomb a Christmas tree or something, hahaha
    i think it would more likely be the third generation though
    I'm the second generation i still feel quite ' connected' to my culture - I've never felt the urge to be extreme

shi*, I've just realise that my children could potentially fall under that category :|
    haahha

ReputationRep:
    The state needs to cut benefits after two children and reach out to oppressed members of society e.g. women who are not allowed to learn English, get a proper education or a job.

ReputationRep:
    Sooo..... This is meant to be worrying? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    There are Muslims who are white you know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macroscopic)
    Yes, I see your point, however, Islam is against violence. I, myself am a Muslim but I have many homosexual friends, I would err judge them on their sexuality, in fact I have a Muslim friend who is bisexual. I can see your point but homosexuality is not just a problem some Muslims may have, many non-Muslims have caused violence against homosexuals, it's a problem some people have universally, regardless of their religion. Islam also accepts divorce, it may be against abortion generally but so are other religions, in some circumstances abortion is actually accepted, no Muslim I know would ever judge anyone, or cause violence against other because of their views.
    Yes I do appreciate that the vast majority of Muslims don't cause violence and wouldn't condone it in any way, and it's only a very small minority that do resort to violence. The thing is, people are perfectly entitled to see homosexuality, abortion and divorce as morally wrong, providing they don't treat people any differently because of it. The danger is that the more people see it as wrong, the more people are going to act upon it (Even if the vast majority don't). But as I said, I do appreciate that the vast majority, like yourself, don't treat people differently because of it

The real issue is combatting the supreme lack of integration we have. We have the worst Us vs Them mentality at the moment and it just fosters hatred. I imagine both sides are partly to blame, but if we could get rid of the Us vs Them mentality that seems to exist at the moment, it would really become a non-issue.

ReputationRep:
    Like many have said, i'm fine with them all coming in. Its just when they start claiming that certain things offend them, and they need this and need that, basically when they start taking advantage thats when it ticks me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macroscopic)
    Contraception is allowed in Islam
    No it is not google it you infidel

ReputationRep:
    The floodgates are well and truly open.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm 75% of All Statistics are fake

Maybe its because lots of White British people are converting to islam...maybe that should be made illegal ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempa)
    No it is not google it you infidel
    I am a muslim myself, and I'm quite aware it's allowed. No need to 'google' it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)

The real issue is combatting the supreme lack of integration we have. We have the worst Us vs Them mentality at the moment and it just fosters hatred. I imagine both sides are partly to blame, but if we could get rid of the Us vs Them mentality that seems to exist at the moment, it would really become a non-issue.
    Thats more of an Economic Argument of integrating the working class than a religious one, Rich Muslim Millionaires have no trouble with integration when their in England buying Football clubs or 5* Hotels

Most Muslim in the UK are working class not because they are stupid but because most muslims are of immigrant origin and Britain attracted low skilled low piad immigrants to essentially fill up the labour shortage post WW2. And if you dad is working class chances are you will be working class particularly if your dad has never been to school in his host country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James10000)
    Thats more of an Economic Argument of integrating the working class than a religious one

Most Muslim in the UK are working class not because they are stupid but because most muslims are of immigrant origin and Britain attracted low skilled low piad immigrants to essentially fill up the labour shortage post WW2. And if you dad is working class chances are you will be working class particularly if your dad has never been to school in his host country
    What do you base that assumption on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HornAfrican)
    It's not worrying at all; 2.87m is such a small number in comparison to non-Muslims.
    the populasion of the united britains is 4.3 milion for ur information so this is a veri worryin statistic!1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempa)
    Wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    the populasion of the united britains is 4.3 milion for ur information so this is a veri worryin statistic!1
    haha if you believe that you've got some serious issues :eek:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.