Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls (and maybe guys) - how much does/did your virginity mean to you? Watch

• View Poll Results: How much does your virginity mean to you?
    Virgin - A lot
    21.99%
    Virgin - Not much
    29.05%
    Non-Virgin - It did mean a lot
    11.20%
    Non-virgin - Not much
    37.76%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I very, very much doubt she'll want to go on top first time. Don't ask her to.
    I second this.. from how nervous you described her to be she might not feel completely comfortable with it. That'll come in time.

ReputationRep:
    It didn't mean much to me, though I do wish I'd lost it to my current partner because I know that it would have been a much more enjoyable experience than it was when I actually lost it.

ReputationRep:
    Virginity is overrated. It's just another thing you haven't done yet, like eat a piece of cake, drive a car etc etc. It doesn't make you pure, or special, just inexperienced in that area.

I lost my virignity to a guy I loved, and that was because I didn't want to be intimate with anyone I didn't love full stop, the virignity had nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing.

I was more bothered about being the first and telling the bro's. As with most guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Because it's impossible to be born with sexual experience, maybe? :facepalm:
    Point I'm trying to make is that if it does not mean anything than it would not exist to begin with. The act of losing one's virginity has a symbolic function if nothing else. Which following on from this rationale, means that it must stand for something.

Don't be so quick to 'facepalm' comments which you have not read fully or understood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riso)
    It didn't mean much to me, though I do wish I'd lost it to my current partner because I know that it would have been a much more enjoyable experience than it was when I actually lost it.
    Off topic...Richard Armitage. You have good taste

ReputationRep:
    I have a very high value over my viginity. I don't have an overly big problem with one-nighters but I wouldn't do it myself, most ppl are drunk when they have a one-night stand & I reckon those who have had one, can't remember much about it!

I'm not overly religious either so it's not because of religious values/views that I think this. I just think that a person should have sex with someone that they know well & feel a connection with. I think that sex is a highly intimate thing & u just can't get that much intimacy with someone u hardly know & have a one-night stand with!

I'm certainly going to wait until I am in a relationship with someone who I feel connected to & who feels the same way about me & who I think "I could seriously spend the rest of my life with this person" before I give up my viginity to him! But that's just me! :P

i thought it wouldn't mean that much. but it turns out it did. maybe i just doubt losing it with the guy i'm with. we've done almost everything but sex. i think part of it is to do with being selfconscious with myself down there. and wonder if i let him go down there to do other stuff, i probably would feel comfortable enough to have sex. but i think i'm so scared of being used. i have to be 100% sure that he is someone i can trust, and that he won't brag, or ditch me after. i honestly feel that witholding sex is kinda like a challenge and tease for him and once he gets it, he will lose interest. perhaps.

i'm 19, he's 21 and not a virgin. but he has been waiting for 5 months so far for me. and assures he will wait forever for me. but is that all sweet talk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    Off topic...Richard Armitage. You have good taste
    If only I could have lost it to Richard..

ReputationRep:
    you should wait till marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riso)
    If only I could have lost it to Richard..
    Cor. I'd have mine rebuilt if it meant I could sleep with him!
    Why, oh why does he have to be so much older?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aloneintheworld)
    you should wait till marriage.
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Virginity is overrated. It's just another thing you haven't done yet, like eat a piece of cake, drive a car etc etc. It doesn't make you pure, or special, just inexperienced in that area.

I lost my virignity to a guy I loved, and that was because I didn't want to be intimate with anyone I didn't love full stop, the virignity had nothing to do with it.
    I agree with this completely. I am still a virgin but when the time does eventually come (excuse pun! ) it won't be the fact that I won't be a virgin afterwards or was still a virgin beforehand, that's not what I'll be worried about/thinking about, all that matters is that the person I'm having sex with is someone that I love at that time & also someone who I knows loves me & who has told it to my face!

ReputationRep:
    Even tho I do value my viginity, what really matters is that when I do have sex, that it'll be with someone that I care about deeply & love!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottelisabeth)
    I agree with this completely. I am still a virgin but when the time does eventually come (excuse pun! ) it won't be the fact that I won't be a virgin afterwards or was still a virgin beforehand, that's not what I'll be worried about/thingking about, all that matters is that the person I'm having sex with is someone that I love at that time!
    Amen sister!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a virgin, and I want to keep it that way until im in a stable relationship, and feel that I am ready...I know that some people think that its weird....but I have a lot of dignity and self respect....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibobs)
    My virginity meant nothing to me. I was the last in my group of friends to lose it and just wanted to get rid of it really, felt like a little kid compared to all my friends. So I lost it to someone who i didn't even like, who certainly didn't like me and now I like to pretend it never happened and count my second time as my first time. I wish I had waited but it's not like it ruined my life or anything! You live and learn.
    I wasn't last in my group of mates but the rest is true to me.

I got rid of it so I could just get rid of the stigma and enjoy sex & life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    Cor. I'd have mine rebuilt if it meant I could sleep with him!
    Why, oh why does he have to be so much older?
    God knows.
    Bah! Have you heard about that woman who saw him running in a park near her house so bought a dog so she had an excuse to walk there every day?
    Now she has the right idea. Perhaps we should take note.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riso)
    God knows.
    Bah! Have you heard about that woman who saw him running in a park near her house so bought a dog so she had an excuse to walk there every day?
    Now she has the right idea. Perhaps we should take note.

The question is, did she ever see him again? Otherwise she's just stuck walking a dog to a park every day for nothing

ReputationRep:
    Not a lot at all, goodness knows why I still have it...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.