Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Film of the Year Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think has been the best film released this year?
    Inception
    44.52%
    Shutter Island
    8.22%
    Catfish
    1.37%
    The Town
    2.05%
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World
    4.11%
    Toy Story 3
    8.22%
    The Social Network
    7.53%
    Monsters
    0.68%
    Four Lions
    1.37%
    Kick-Ass
    2.05%
    A Prophet (Un prophe)
    3.42%
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    0%
    Up In The Air
    0%
    Buried
    0.68%
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    9.59%
    Other
    6.16%

ReputationRep:
    The Kids are All Right, and Somewhere were pretty good movies

ReputationRep:
    I voted Inception, but Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World was a close second.

1. Inception
    2. SP Vs TW
    3. Shutter Island
    4. Kick Ass
    5. Toy Story 3

ReputationRep:
    It was between Inception and The Social Network but I think Inception takes the top spot. Unbelievably good.

I was however rather disappointed with Harry Potter... probably just me, but it felt like it was lacking compared to the other films. Maybe because it's just Part 1, but I didn't get that "magical" feeling I got when I walked out of most of the other HP films.

ReputationRep:
    For me it was 'A Single Man' for sure,
    One of those films that haunts you for weeks, making you reconsider and look at things differently.
    Beautifully shot and captured, expertly acted and just..
    Wow

ReputationRep:
    Having a hard time to decide between Kick-Ass and Inception, but in the end it would have to go to Inception.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I missed out on a lot of good films last year, I didn't go to the cinema much at all. Out of the films in the poll I've only seen A Prophet and The Social Network, both of which I thought were extremely good.
    I also saw The Road and Bad Lieutenant:Port of Call New Orleans, that it.

Would really like to see Inception but I think its one of those films you've got to see on the big screen and I think I've missed my chance for that. Will definately check out Scott Pilgrim because I have a strange liking for Michael Cera
    Very curious about Catfish as well...

ReputationRep:
    Restrepo.

I wonder how many users who voted half actually seen all the films listed on the poll? It really isn't a fair if you have only seen one film on that list and then voted for that film tbh...

ReputationRep:
      I am very pleased someone else has voted for Catfish as well. :teeth:

(Original post by S-man10)
      I wonder how many users who voted half actually seen all the films listed on the poll? It really isn't a fair if you have only seen one film on that list and then voted for that film tbh...
      Perhaps, but then I think that posts arguing for or against a particular film will be informative in that aspect in terms of how much you respect their opinion, whereas the poll is more of a snapshot of the general consensus.

ReputationRep:
      The build-up to the finale in Inception was the best I've ever seen. That's the most 'edge of my seat' I've ever been with a film! I still don't regard it as one of my favourite films though for some reason.

(Original post by richf94)

I was however rather disappointed with Harry Potter... probably just me, but it felt like it was lacking compared to the other films. Maybe because it's just Part 1, but I didn't get that "magical" feeling I got when I walked out of most of the other HP films.
        A lot of camping, running around and stuff ... yeah. Part 2 should be good though. :jive:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by hogso)
        Enter the Void

Nothing from the past 10 years, let alone this year alone, comes remotely close to the experience this film provides the viewer.
        YES. rep for you! incredible film!

ReputationRep:
        Well this is difficult. I completely disagree with anyone who said this wasn't a good year for films.

I loved Shutter Island, and wish people would see past it's plot and not label it as a one-trick pony, gimmicky film. The atmospheric feel, the sense of of uncertainty throughout and the performance of the cast were just incredble...

Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim brought fun back to the cinema, as did Toy Story 3, proving that it is possible to make a perfect trilogy.

Inception lived up to it's hype and went further, providing endless debate and speculation while proving that big budget films can be much more than a lights show.

I've never seen anything quite like A Prophet, easily one of the best films of the year and possibly one of the best prison/crime movies ever.

Four Lions was an absolute beauty, the ridiculous characters and general mundanity mixed with hilarity just made it amazing.

I really need to watch Catfish, Buried and Up in the Air.

Gonna vote for The Social Network, as it wowed the masses with it's intricacies and style, with mesmerising performances - in spite of the standard, ignorant "Pft, a facebook film? What stupid idea" that jumped out of the mouths of 9 out of 10 people...

ReputationRep:
        voted for inception. it feels like my mind has been raped. i:

a) fell in love with Leonardo DiCaprio
        b) now believe that everyone who looks at me is a projection of my subconscious.

ReputationRep:
        I see the poll has ended.

:king1: Inception (by a huge margin)
        :king2: Harry Potter (heathens :p:)
        :king3: Shutter Island and Toy Story 3

ReputationRep:
        Inception

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.