Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last chap who asked me for money claimed he wanted a coffee so I went and bought him a large coffee.

If I've got loose change that I'm not specifically going to buy something with then I tend to fork a bit over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaneli)
    When you see a beggar on the street, what goes through your mind? What do you usually do (be honest!)?
    Erm, well I don't straight blank beggers (rude!) I say something to them but don't give them money. If for whatever reason I have ciggies on me I might give them a ciggie (I DON'T smoke, but have friends/family who do). What goes through my mind is generally 'Oh I hope s/he doesn't ask me for money' or 'gosh they must be cold'. I don't judge them for being homeless if that's what you're asking -- homelessness can happen (and does happen) to anyone and is hard to get out of once in.

Not sure this is a great measure of ones empathy though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith01)
    I go to the shop and give them food instead of money, just to prevent the chance that they might use the money to buy drugs and alcohol. I mean food is what they want right?
    errrrm.. no? If you were on the streets on the cold festive period, would you rather a cheeseburger with a slice of judgement, or free drugs with a generous helping of escapism?

personally I'd say I'm quite empathetic, but not at all sympathetic, in the sense that I can appreciate how cold and hungry a homeless person would be, but I don't feel sorry for them because they inevitably put themselves in that situation and are doing nothing to change it (there are plenty of organisations out there).

this applies for medical situations, e.g. that alcoholic/fatty with gross ascites that still carries on drinking/eating. aww diddums, can't see your penis anymore? well here's an idea that I spent the past 6 years generating, STOP?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    homelessness can happen (and does happen) to anyone and is hard to get out of once in.
    Interesting point, it reminds me of a BBC documentary (I think?) which tried to bust myths of homelessness. A reporter talked to a guy who actually was a doctor (PhD) and went through a rough divorce, which resulted in his situation. It is quite a lot of food for thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    If I see a beggar I'd feel sympathy rather than empathy
    But I'm just being pedantic
    No, I think empathy is the right word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    personally I'd say I'm quite empathetic, but not at all sympathetic, in the sense that I can appreciate how cold and hungry a homeless person would be, but I don't feel sorry for them because they inevitably put themselves in that situation and are doing nothing to change it (there are plenty of organisations out there).
    Bit naive really.

Name some organisations. Yes there are lots out there, but places like shelters are not nice places to be -- I have met people who would rather sleep on the streets as they were repeatedly raped in shelters, and that's not an unusual experience. You can't get a job without an address. etc etc. Vicious cycle that is by no means easy to get out of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Bit naive really.

places like shelters are not nice places to be
    Were not talking about sleeping on the mean streets of the Seychelles. I'd much rather be in the shelter - being raped might even keep us warm - yet many choose not to, because they can make money on the streets.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    No, I think empathy is the right word.
    For me at least it would be sympathy.
    Sympathy is when you feel an emotion towards something (usually sadness)
    Empathy is when you can feel an emotion with someone.. When you can relate.
    And I can't relate to homelessness so I'd be sympathetic rather than empathetic
    Don't hate me for thinking like this

ReputationRep:
    i'd love to invite them home to sleep over but then you might just wake up with a knife to your throat, and then well you cant sympathesize ever again once you are dead.

anyway the problems of most of the homeless could be instantly solved by the property horders like the royal family, who own enough rooms in their unused properties to home most of the homeless in the UK.

but no, they want the homeless to stay as they are. they really really do. man the queen and charles are the most evil people in britain, believe it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    the beggars in newcastle are always the best. begging whilst drunk busking on a broken ukelele -

'Living on the tyne all me liiiieee
    Norshaa me tyyme all ya hussies'
    plinkplink
    'Waa?'
    pluNK PLINK plunk.
    'ahhh come on - that MUSS be worth 50p!'
    hahahaa im not gona lie i don't think ive ever seen one of them?!!
    there is that man who walks about town foraging in the bins though..the one with the big beard? he never begs though..

on the subject of the thread...I normally politely decline if its the big issue (duno,just can never be bothered getting my purse out my bag and if i buy it once someone else asks me if i want to buy it and i feel bad sayin no cos i just bought one off your mate) but theres not many proper beggars in newcastle. like there's a couple near central station and that but there are charities out there,and these guys need to use them. Tbf I haven't seen many beggars that were not drunk/drugged at the time of begging, apart from some old ladies that got to selling the big issue later anyway, so they do have a sort of job and they're not beggars anymore.

i duno. i seem to be a bit of a cynic..i'll buy someone a hot drink or something but what concerns me is how they got to this state and my £2 coffee isn't going to help me understand them, nor is it going to help them out of the situation..

have to say though,homelessness in britain is NOTHING compared to that of other countries. the state is obviously not perfect but we have a much much better support system than many parts of the developed world (and obviously, less economically developed).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Just been to London for the past few days and only saw one big issue seller, no buskers and didn't see anyone on the streets
    Do these people have bank holidays off too? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Just been to London for the past few days and only saw one big issue seller, no buskers and didn't see anyone on the streets
    Do these people have bank holidays off too? :dontknow:
    Nah, they were all in my A&E.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Nah, they were all in my A&E.
    :penguinhug:
    I would say I hope that things will get quieter for you now.. But, from what I've seen at least, it doesn't exactly work like that :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.