Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"We are not the "Topshop" generation" Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    I believe the point is that she thinks society thinks girls her age are obsessed with shopping (Topshop) and the like, when in fact she isn't like that and is politcally active, taking part in protests and the like (such as the ones at Topshop about tax evasion a while back). Very clever, eh :rolleyes:

As others have mentioned, what she doesn't understand is that it's possible to do both. Thick ***** :facepalm2:
    OHHH i get it! oh im obsessed with shopping but not in topshop, im deffos gonna start my own 'generation' then!

hahaha love the way you explained it, so to the point :P

ReputationRep:
    She's so irritating. If she had any real belief in what she was doing, she would not be bragging about the fact she is taking interest in political parties and doing demonstrations rather than "getting off with people at parties", but would be spending more time bragging about anyone who is listening to her and her political views, or spending more time giving us a good argument for what she believes.

She's feeding her own ego here, she thinks she's beyond her years, whereas in reality she's just a snotty teenager thriving on the idea of being "different" and "radical". She's no different to all the teenagers she shuns. I'm surprised her friends put up with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    Do you agree with the writer
    Agree with her? Agree with what?

She wasted a whole page of the internet to impart what was essentially the following message:

1) I like politics.
    2) I am a teen hence do GCSEs and so forth.
    3) I am political.
    4) I am a teen.
    5) The government unspecifically sucks.
    6) I am a teen who likes politics.
    7) Boo hiss rah to Cameron and the boy wonder Clegg.
    8) I am only 15 but I still like politics.

ReputationRep:
    Her twitter account is even more annoying. Pretentious child.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    What money has HSBC taken from the taxpayer exactly? :curious:

The wannabe-rebel needs to check her facts.
    HSBC is being accused of tried to wriggle out of having to pay £2 billion in tax which it's supposed to have so far avoided paying - in a similar way to which Vodafone was accused of avoiding to pay £6 billion in tax which was let off from paying.

So whether or not one accepts the claim, the girl writing the article made a point about a very real accusation that's been mentioned by most major news sits and newspapers.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like what she is; uninformed

ReputationRep:
    Topshop has been around for decades so I don't really understand what she's trying to say with that? That we're not just interested in clothes? That's not exactly what older people are accusing us of.

What she says is fine, good even, for a teenager - if a bit cringe considering she's 15 and can only remember 10 years anyway (and obviously wasn't interested in politics at the age of 7), and talks about being 14 as though it were years ago. I've read loads of articles like that though, there's a new one every 2 years about 'our generation' and they are all the same. People just grow into their parents. In 20 years time we'll all be *****ing about how crap the youth of today are, and they'll all be *****ing about how we don't take them seriously enough.

Edit: I take it back, I just read her twitter. "UKuncut has an alternative to the ConDem cuts"? Seriously, so get businessmen to pay a few billion to the gov and then we'll be debt free? Does she know how big the deficit is?

ReputationRep:
    The article was chosen based on the age of the author as opposed to it's quality. She takes every opportunity to remind us that she's a teenager and interested in politics.

Most of the reasons she uses incorporate these with added bits of fictitious claims.

ReputationRep:
    I can't even afford Topshop these days!

ReputationRep:
    Cheap clothes = child exploitation in third world sweat shops. Now who's the political one, huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofee)
    why do people have a great sense of supiriority over the fact they don't shop in topshop...it's a shop, there are more important things in life so just shut up
    Yes. Accurate comment.

What does it matter where you buy your clothes from? How many people actually go down the street and think when they see other people: "...Next trousers... Burton jacket... Topman hoodie...".

If someone has money and decides to spend it on particular clothes, then other people shouldn't ascribe some sort of moral/social/cultural dominance over them because their clothes are from somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Yes. Accurate comment.

What does it matter where you buy your clothes from? How many people actually go down the street and think when they see other people: "...Next trousers... Burton jacket... Topman hoodie...".

If someone has money and decides to spend it on particular clothes, then other people shouldn't ascribe some sort of moral/social/cultural dominance over them because their clothes are from somewhere else.
    Totally agree with this. Gets on my nerves!

ReputationRep:
    Apart from this girl being so far up herself she doesn't know where she starts or finishes, she is also probably the most boring person in the world. Fair enough to have a keen interest in politics but have you seen her twitter page? Was this girl born grey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSeaLion)
    Apart from this girl being so far up herself she doesn't know where she starts or finishes, she is also probably the most boring person in the world. Fair enough to have a keen interest in politics but have you seen her twitter page? Was this girl born grey?
    Please don't bump old threads. Cheers

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.