...Even though I'm not even there yet, still need to get the grades xD
What course are you doing?
Jimbo1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rainbow drops)
No I didn't. At no stage have I contradicted myself; all I did earlier was point out that it's incredibly stupid to use history to put York down and then praise another city while overlooking theirs. It's like you just pick at every available thing to complain, even if it's now completely irrelevant. But then you clearly can't ever argue your point properly anyway, so whatever.

York does not look horrible and the locals aren't vermin. Why the **** did you even come here if you hate it this much? Did it never occur to you that you should visit? Because surely if you did, you'd have noticed if it looked 'horrible' to you straight away. So don't belittle people on here for choosing a university that they liked and was suitable for them just because you're incapable of making a wise decision for yourself. Herpaderp.
The majority of York is either cramped/historical streets or 70's concrete and I do not think I am in the minority by saying that is horrible.
As for the history, York has one of poverty, hence the style of the town and the layout. If compared to historically wealthier cities eg Newcastle or Liverpool, then one would notice the difference in architecture such as having more space, buildings made out of stone rather then wood etc.
Some locals are fine, the majority are not as York is still some what poor and I do not know of anyone who has not had their bike stolen/attempted to be stolen. This is not trolling, but my actual experience of York. If people had been honest to me when I came then I would have not come here, but people either lied or lived in some hole hidden away, which I do not know.
Sariya
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To be fair, Jimbo has a point- though he's making it in the usual obnoxious fashion.

The Shambles is quaint. I'd never go so far as to call it "beautiful".
York's very much like marmite, appearance-wise. "Old" doesn't necessarily entail "pretty". York's very much a cramped, dingy city when it's at its very worst. There are some nicer places out there.

Unpleasant, though? Lunacy. It's a lovely little town, for the most part. Not quite as bright, open and appealing as, say, Bath- but appealing in its own way. It's hardly as though the Shambles is the entire city, either- I'd go so far as to say that most of the historic centre's absolutely gorgeous now.
Dragon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jimbo1234)
Some locals are fine, the majority are not as York is still some what poor and I do not know of anyone who has not had their bike stolen/attempted to be stolen. This is not trolling, but my actual experience of York. If people had been honest to me when I came then I would have not come here, but people either lied or lived in some hole hidden away, which I do not know.
Actually this is not too far from the truth. I've heard several incidents of burglary of various nature. The area I live in has a bad reputation for chav incidents, but I've never had any bad fortune myself, apart from a couple of chavs bad mouthing me from across the street. You get that anywhere though.

I wouldn't call York dingy, far from it. I wouldn't even say cramped, maybe in some places, but not really. It's a pleasant, relaxing town for the most part.
shayne Zhao
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hereinyourarms)
I see! Well I'm kinda biased towards York haha so COME TO YORK :P
...Even though I'm not even there yet, still need to get the grades xD
What course are you doing?
literature,maybe~if i cant ,i want to learn eruo culture///
pandoram
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've been living in Singapore for the past 10+ years, and Singapore is a beautiful place with wide clean streets, big shopping complexes, numerous bright open green spaces, loads of sunshine througout the year - and of course I love all that.

But I loved York too when I visited for a week. Loved its small streets and houses and shops, the university being a 'hole' and ducks and all. Sure, it was like, pretty 'dingy' because it was raining quite a bit most of the time, but I loved the city all the same. I don't particularly love the Shambles though.

Tbh I don't see why this must be a 'love or no-love' issue.. seems to be based on the assumption that you are allowed to only like either one feature or the other..like either 'wide streets' or 'small streets' but not both?

Living wise, I've taken some time to investigate and evaluate the shopping places I could find, and found them adequate for my daily needs if I do settle in York, so in my book the city's good enough for me. I think it's important to know somewhat in details what a city (or a uni, for that matter) can and cannot provide, to properly manage your expectations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sun, 30 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads