Tesco slammed over 'sexist' T-shirt - your views... Watch

Krebs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
"The only birds who have a problem with things like this the fat, ugly, hairy variety.
Most birds wouldn't have a problem with it. Funny how the birds who bang on about sexism are usually ugly as sin."
paddyman4
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 01010000 01001010)
I don't buy into that for one second. It's impossible to turn on the TV, radio or walk through a city without seeing advert and advert claiming that "Tesco are the cheapest, we beat Asda by 99% last term" or whatever. That is not optional, the 'need' you get when you walk into Tesco is manufactured and massaged by their advertising and they sell products for just 1/10th of what independent stores do, just because they want to lose out on a few pennies so that you don't go elsewhere.

It's *******s, several independent butchers, grocery stores, newsagents etc. have recently gone bust because my local council decided that allowing a Tesco to be built in the local area would help improve custom and the local economy. *******s to that, your just doing exactly what all the advertising campaigns want you to do: Give in to the megacorp and forget about the people who need to make a living of their customers.
All their adverts do is convince people that their products are cheapest. Well, they are. Consumers are the ones who decide that the most important thing to them is the price.

As for people losing out on making a living - how many jobs do you think Tescos provides? An absolute ****-load.

Sorry if you care about these independent stores going out of business, but you are in the minority. Everyone else in your community has decided to go to Tescos because it is cheap and has everything in one place, rather than to go to traditional individual stores. By wanting your council to not allow Tescos nearby you are arguing for competition to be outlawed. If everyone thought like that, we'd still be going round in horse carriages because car companies would have been deemed as unfair competition to carriage salesmen.

People drive rather than ride horses, they use electricity and gas to heat their homes rather than log fires, they watch TV and movies rather than plays, they use phones rather than telegrams, etc. Think how many businesses and sectors were closed down because of those changes and how many people lost their jobs. It's called progression.
yellowmeringue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Who the hell buys clothes from Tesco? I find this more concerning than the message on the actual shirt.
BakerStreet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What I would like to know is why these women felt they could leave the kitchen to complain. Also, that shirt is completely absent of both style and taste, and as such I don't quite understand why anyone felt it worth arguing over in the first place.
Fusilero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha, oh wow.

I'm sure you're one of these people who looks at my posts and then instantly feels the need to respond with some ignorant comment. Was it you who created a new account and then sent me hatemail? You seem like the type to do so.

Whether or not you shop at Tesco is not what I was trying to get at, nor is it relevant to the argument of whether or not megacorp supermarkets help destroy the local economy of independent stores. Clearly your misinterpretation skills exceed your ignorance.
They destroy the economy of local independent stores by being better at what they do whether it be in price, range of goods or convenience. That is Capitalism and unless you're in for some state interventionism against large corporations it isn't going to change.

Anyway, they provide most of the jobs the same as independent stores, Tescoes need people to stack their shelves and people to cut their meat as much as the local corner shop. Customers vote with their wallet and in most places they've obviously chosen large stores. It is perfectly possible to resist a store if no one bought from it and no one applied to work there, Tescoes aren't going to choose to work somewhere where they earn no profit and have no prospect of earning profit in the future.
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Political correctness to the max!

Some people, particularly feminist groups, need to get over themselves. If you have a problem with the 'sexualisation of women', don't target supermarkets selling a t-shirt intended to be humourous, target the millions of women who go out on a friday night in short skirts and low cut tops. That's the sexualisation of women.

Not that I have a problem with it of course, I quite enjoy bird watching
lonelykatana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha, oh wow.

I'm sure you're one of these people who looks at my posts and then instantly feels the need to respond with some ignorant comment. Was it you who created a new account and then sent me hatemail? You seem like the type to do so.

Whether or not you shop at Tesco is not what I was trying to get at, nor is it relevant to the argument of whether or not megacorp supermarkets help destroy the local economy of independent stores. Clearly your misinterpretation skills exceed your ignorance.
Why would anyone create a new account to send hate mail? I'd just use this one cute idea though, cutie pie. My comment was ignorant? I simply said you made me wee my self, not that I agree nor disagree with what you said. Simply, you made me wee a little.
You are guessing at my personality after 2 comments, yet you have the cheek to call me ignorant.....?

THATS SO FREAKING CUTE! I LOVE YOU CUTIEEEEEEEE!!!!

(for the record, I happen to agree 100% with you. I strongly dislike the monopoly supermarkets are creating, and its a damn shame we are losing small independent stores.)

CUTIE PIE! :bubbles: :bubbles:
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yellowmeringue)
Who the hell buys clothes from Tesco? I find this more concerning than the message on the actual shirt.
I own a pair of plimsolls from Tesco.

£7.50, they're quality!
pcj-the
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Definitely brings out the best Victor Meldrew in me! For heaven's sake get a life! This is a professionally generated fuss about the inconsequential. I don't see these people forming pickets outside FCUK outlets or blockades outside of Rap music stores and studios (and if you want violence against women try some of the Rap lyrics for a good fit).
Before the "flamers" and other self-interest bigots out there cut loose let me make something clear: I'm 100% against violence against women. I'm with the old-fashioned (goes with my age) grouping who hold doors open, pass compliments and will intervene if I encounter attempts to apply violence to ladies (ladettes you're on your own: get p****ed like a bloke, act nasty like you've got more b**ls than a drunk bloke and it serves you right if you get put down like one).

This little storm in a teacup is nothing more than the ongoing agenda and personal advancement game played by so many of these "advocates" of one thing or another. Guaranteed to get your name in the papers and get you noticed if you get to do a soundbite against a big name like Tescos.

Try googling the names in this article. Precious little genuine biopic material comes up, but plenty of the "agenda".
Here's a few:
Somali Cerise
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3752697.stm
Somali Cerise, a spokeswoman for Australia's Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby, said she was angry and concerned by Mr Howard's move. (2004 news event)

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/content/1/c6/01/27/37/09Jul.pdf
Australian Bicentennial Scholarships & Fellowships: 2009 awards were made to:
Somali Cerise, Australian Human Rights Commission, for an MSc in Gender, Development and Globalisation at the LSE

www.equality-ne.co.uk/downloads/722_eren-journal-jan-2011.doc
http://www.crae.org.uk/news-and-events/crae-events.html

Anna van Heeswijk
I gave up. Another endless list of the same hype.

They do get around and get themselves noticed do these people! I wouldn't follow up too many of the extra links you'll find after checking out the above. Most are mind-blowing in their "agenda fluff" and "victim status" message. If you read the guff posted by many, esp where there is some kind of biopic you'll be left wondering:
a) which is most important the message or the messenger?
b) who funds these people (cos there are hordes of them beavering away out there), probably you and me, indirectly via funds etc to quangos.
c) Do they actually do any real work or is the medium the message and a path to greater glory for them all?
chinaberry
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Every little helps- I am not that uptight about a lot of feminist jokes, even if I don't approve of them. But this one is on a bliddy t shirt. Everyone would see it, little kids, everyone! Definitely siding with the 'PC mad' people on this issue.
ElNormo91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ilickbatteries)
Political correctness to the max!

Some people, particularly feminist groups, need to get over themselves. If you have a problem with the 'sexualisation of women', don't target supermarkets selling a t-shirt intended to be humourous, target the millions of women who go out on a friday night in short skirts and low cut tops. That's the sexualisation of women.

Not that I have a problem with it of course, I quite enjoy bird watching
Exactly. It's the same thing that happened to a David & Goliath t-shirt (albeit targeted at the opposite gender to women) about boys being stupid many years ago, yet people already knew about their style of humour, and even since they also do menswear (and I'm personally a huge fan of their designs, as well as having a few items of David & Goliath, especially the "Chick Magnet" t-shirt), the vast majority of males didn't even care, except for a minority, particularly a group of anti-misandry activists and a campaign run by an LA radio host. It's just humour that sells to a majority that don't give a stuff about gender activism (i.e. if you don't like it, then don't even look at the t-shirt in the first place).

For the record, I do applaud gender equality, but when a certain item is targeted to a particular market, it means that not everyone will like a given sort of slogan or design, but when it's anything beyond that, or when it's Islamaphobic, it's a completely different story.
RadioHawk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
dude i want one
dammit tesco!

edit: nevermind it's still there
http://www.clothingattesco.com/mensw...s-and-t-shirts
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ElNormo91)
Exactly. It's the same thing that happened to a David & Goliath t-shirt (albeit targeted at the opposite gender to women) about boys being stupid many years ago, yet people already knew about their style of humour, and even since they also do menswear (and I'm personally a huge fan of their designs, as well as having a few items of David & Goliath, especially the "Chick Magnet" t-shirt), the vast majority of males didn't even care, except for a minority, particularly a group of anti-misandry activists and a campaign run by an LA radio host. It's just humour that sells to a majority that don't give a stuff about gender activism (i.e. if you don't like it, then don't even look at the t-shirt in the first place).

For the record, I do applaud gender equality, but when a certain item is targeted to a particular market, it means that not everyone will like a given sort of slogan or design, but when it's anything beyond that, or when it's Islamaphobic, it's a completely different story.
Exactly.

I've seen girls with t-shirts and bags with that design on the front that says

"Boys are stupid. Throw rocks at them"

I don't remember any men kicking off, complaining about women advocating violence towards men. Can't remember any male-activist groups complaining either. Wonder why? :rolleyes:
ElNormo91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Exactly.

I've seen girls with t-shirts and bags with that design on the front that says

"Boys are stupid. Throw rocks at them"

I don't remember any men kicking off, complaining about women advocating violence towards men. Can't remember any male-activist groups complaining either. Wonder why? :rolleyes:
There's more men than women, so men don't really need their own activism for equal rights of their gender, it's only women that do. Besides, it's just usual funny gender banter that many don't really give a stuff about
Missy6E
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No idea who would wear it anyway. ?
Drewyy :)
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Omg, really? Feminists need to get a grip, its actually funny. nothing Nasty about it. i highly doubt anyone will get offended by it, whats the problem?
Butties
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I want to know why they consider 'bird' a sexist term :confused:

It's a dumb t-shirt but people (including women themselves) need to stop portraying women as victims.

Men are subject to sexual abuse too and I don't see many masculinist groups out there, in fact it'd probably be considered sexist to have any.

I am female and believe in equality, not downing people based on gender.
ahnaf.c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PinkFriday)
Somali Cerise, prevention manager for the End Violence Against Women coalition, added: "It is deeply concerning that a major high-street retailer such as Tesco sells products that perpetuate the sexualisation of women.
Oh, and women are in no way responsible for sexualising themselves. :rolleyes:
Squidgyness
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ahnaf.c)
Oh, and women are in no way responsible for sexualising themselves. :rolleyes:
Lol, totally.

"All I did was wear a ridiculously tight tank top and miniskirt, oh and makeup, not to mention my new hairdo, and suddenly people were LOOKING at me! What did I do wrong?"

Sometimes, look like a slut and you get treated like one. Shocker.

I'd also like to add that some of these female power movements arent really for "equal rights" but rather the view that "women are obviously superior beings and men are useless and should be eliminated."

I support equal rights, but not this "I want you to open the door for me and pull the seat out in a resteraunt, but damn it, if you earn £0.001 than me I'll sue my employers ass off" mentality.
Sendaii
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I own a pair of plimsolls from Tesco.

£7.50, they're quality!
Go to Primark. £1 mutha****aaaaaaa :yes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads